***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Man of Honour
My mate had a young band in his studio today and after they packed up he went back into the drum booth and saw this :)
Drummer deserves a medal.

prismstudios.jpg

Man of Honour
I've jut got back from a guitars heroes night at Bridlington Spa and this has made my night :)

Funnily enough Phil Walker is coming to Stoke with the show so I watched several videos about 2 months ago, he's very talented.
Even more luckier I can get tickets for free and I've recently been to see Counterfeit Stones & Think Floyd so I might ask my mate for tickets.

Soldato
That's cool :)

Can you actually play that drum beat ?
I can indeed. :) In fact, I recorded myself last year on my electric kit playing to Rosanna (drumless track) playing the same beat Jeff Porcaro played on it, which he based off of that Bonham beat.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0caGDmmCk

A few more mashups. I'm addicted to this stuff!

'Roxanne' isolated vocal track set to Steely Dan's isolated drum and bass track and isolated guitar track of 'Bodhisattva'. I edited out parts of the guitar solo so it didn't clash when he sings. What amazed me was that both songs just happened to match exact tempo right off the bat without any adjustment, although I still made various edits to the mix. Whole thing sounds quirky but interesting. :D

Talking Heads 'Once In a Lifetime' isolated vocal track set to Steely Dan's 'Home At Last' from their Aja album. I cut the first few measures of Home At last, chopped and looped it. I also added a sprinkle of the isolated vocal track of Steve Lukather singing Rosanna. I had to do some vocals pitch and tempo changes to try and match the Steely Dan riff. I pitched Steve Lukather at two different octaves so one sounds male and one sounds kind of female, and also harmonised them at one point. Got a few layers going on here, a bit of harmony and some back and forth between Heads and Rosanna.
I think it sounds cool if I say so myself. :p

And John Bonham isolated drum track to Zeppelin's 'All My Love' set to 'Walk This Way'. I had to slow down Aerosmith to match Bonham's original tempo and then manually adjust sections of the song tempo along the way where Bonham wavers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
That does seem like a bargain. Have you these modules? Any good?

Yeah mate bought and installed last night...best plugin selection I've ever bought for $41 at audiodeluxe...

There are some cracking modules...you get 25!

Mcdsp are quality mate...

Love these bank holiday flash sales...all the companies competing...I mean soundtoys decapitator is only $49

The Mcdsp channel strip is a no brainer at this price! Ends 2nd April and it goes back up to $249

Harrison MIxbus are offerering free plugins if you are on the mailing list and plugins for like $9 some of which are $219 on their site...I love free!

They are selling mixbus itself for $19 which you can jack from your own DAW of choice purely for mixing.

Good times :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Having problems with these tracked drums.

There's a little too much push/drag for my liking. It's not that they're out of time exactly they just don't feel solid enough (this may be because I'm mostly use to perfectly timed drums). Anyway, doing the beat detective thing which I don't usually have a problem with but it just doesn't seem to be going well. It sounds like it's been doing some weird fades and causing glitches, it's doing my head in.

The drummer also seems to let his stick drag after some hits which is unpleasant. I don't track enough drums to be able to pick these things up on the fly. Need more experience.

Back
Top Bottom