The Official "How Much I Earn/What Job I Do" Information Thread

Caporegime
you serious ? its a thread on how much you earn :D How could you wave a willy in a bigger way ?

Oh believe me...There are far more better ways of willy waving...

Like...erm....Willy waving? Shall I demonstrate?

People are either jealous are cant believe someone in the 20-25 age bracket cant be earning that much...well shock horror...it happens!

alx

alx

Soldato
you serious ? its a thread on how much you earn :D How could you wave a willy in a bigger way ?

i have no doubt this is a successful forum in terms of users, i would describe these forums as very middle class, which is fine.

The salary is just one part though...it also shows the level of education, what job they do and their age - it's an interesting insight into the forum membership (in my view). As freefaller says, I don't see it as a willy waving thread.

But as usual on here, there's always someone who think's it willy waving if you post your salary - and I'm going to generalise on here by saying it's probably because they're jealous. It's never someone on £50k+ or whatever who makes a fuss about it.

Man of Honour

i have no doubt this is a successful forum in terms of users, i would describe these forums as very middle class, which is fine.

For me, salary alone isn't much of a willy waving as money is money. It doesn't impress me much. I'd be far more envious of someone that has travelled more of the world than me, can speak more than 4 languages fluently etc... Or is in the world's top 10 of a sport or skill etc... Or has a PhD in nuclear physics and so on. That to me is more impressive. I guess some people just have quarms and issues about money. Don't let it embitter you though - it's a very negative thing to follow.

So you accept that the forum is likely to be from a relatively successful and "middle class" (to use your terminology) group of people.

Soldato
I thought that was the purpose of the brackets, to try and obscure it a little bit. I know some people have posted specific amounts, but I wouldn't even accuse them of it.

Personally I'm at the top of the age bracket and the bottom of the salary bracket I posted, although by the end of the day I could potentially be the bottom of the next bracket, fingers crossed.

Associate
In Norway, there's a government website where you can look up everyone's tax return and therefore see exactly what they earn. My American friends at work could not even comprehend why such a thing should ever exist!

Don
ok ok here is my tax return, this should silence the doubters!!

IMG00067-20090708-0915.jpg

could be lying :p Although this is real and belongs to a client, bloody mental amounts of money!

Soldato
For me, salary alone isn't much of a willy waving as money is money. It doesn't impress me much. I'd be far more envious of someone that has travelled more of the world than me, can speak more than 4 languages fluently etc... Or is in the world's top 10 of a sport or skill etc... Or has a PhD in nuclear physics and so on. That to me is more impressive. I guess some people just have quarms and issues about money. Don't let it embitter you though - it's a very negative thing to follow.

So you accept that the forum is likely to be from a relatively successful and "middle class" (to use your terminology) group of people.

trust me there is no bitterness, and yes its a very negative thing to follow, that's why i found this thread a little braggy if im honest. I saw what money/power did to a close family when growing up and have no love of it in that way. Saying that you need money to live and my Wife and I live a good life at present not having any children and are comfortable enough for her to reduce her hours to part time and do voluntary work on the local estate where we also do evening youth work. The education and sector stuff is quite useful, sorry if i sounded nobby about it, i was always brought up never to talk about how much you earn and stuff, rightly or wrongly

in regards to education i dunno what level i would be... kicked out of school at 15 :D but have since gone on to be MCP, MCDT, MCTS

Last edited:
Man of Honour
trust me there is no bitterness, and yes its a very negative thing to follow, that's why i found this thread a little braggy if im honest. I saw what money/power did to a close family when growing up and have no love of it in that way. Saying that you need money to live and my Wife and I live a good life at present not having any children and are comfortable enough for her to reduce her hours to part time and do voluntary work on the local estate where we also do evening youth work. The education and sector stuff is quite useful, sorry if i sounded nobby about it, i was always brought up never to talk about how much you earn and stuff, rightly or wrongly

in regards to education i dunno what level i would be... kicked out of school at 15 :D but have since gone on to be MCP, MCDT, MCTS

I agree talking about what you earn etc... is a little crass - but for the purpose of this thread we're not giving specifics, and it is quite interesting seeing the distribution. If people were to share how they use their money and how they **** it up a wall then I'd agree, but just giving a bracket salary isn't too OTT, clearly in my opinion. However I don't dismiss your point, it's perfectly valid - though I think it is probably how one states one's earnings rather than specifically saying - I'm loaded look at me!

As this thread proves although education can help in some sectors, it's not the be all and end all. :)

Soldato
Age 22
Degree in biology
Currently working part time applying to medicine (longshot)

Don't know what the hell to do with my life! I'm quite motivated and would love to have some of your jobs.

Suggestions? hahaha

Associate
22, £24K, IT Technician, Level 5, 31-40

on a really good wage for the job, my role goes from everything to cables unplugged to server data recovery, project implementation/planning.

Jack of all trades master of none.

Caporegime
22, £24K, IT Technician, Level 5, 31-40

on a really good wage for the job, my role goes from everything to cables unplugged to server data recovery, project implementation/planning.

Jack of all trades master of none.

Sounds ideal :(

My olllllllllllllld job was good....building server, testing servers, building server cabinets, driving to random uni / constabularies installing said cabinets :p

Sorted

Caporegime
Tosh thread, either students who don't care or Willy wavers, and no doubt a few day dreamers adding a few k. I wont name names, but if was earning 40k plus I doubt I would've selling fans in MM for 2quid ;)

If only you knew how truly, mind-bogglingly ridiculous that post sounds. Someone shouldn't sells something for the value it is worth... just because they're on 40k+?

Oh. My. God.

*multiple facepalm*

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If only you knew how truly, mind-bogglingly ridiculous that post sounds. Someone shouldn't sells something for the value it is worth... just because they're on 40k+?

Oh. My. God.

*multiple facepalm*

I suspect he wasn't trying to suggest that you shouldn't sell things for what they are worth but rather questioning if it's an efficient use of a persons time. Take an extreme but slightly ficticious example as I don't know the up to date details - the boss of Coca Cola earns $20 a minute every minute of the day regardless of what he is doing, he stops at a hot dog vendor to purchase one and as he opens his wallet $10 flies out after a sudden gust of wind and blows down the street but he's still got $100+ in there - is it an efficient use of his time to spend 3 minutes chasing it down?

Of course you can do what you want with your free time but I can understand the argument that if you are on decent money it may cease to be worth your time to worry so much about the 'small' things.

Soldato

Oh. My. God.

*multiple facepalm*

welcome to my world mate, 75% of you posts make no sense!

i was referring to one member who i know is not anywhere near 40k and was selling £2 fans not so long ago. i chose not to name names.

Caporegime
welcome to my world mate, 75% of you posts make no sense!

i was referring to one member who i know is not anywhere near 40k and was selling £2 fans not so long ago. i chose not to name names.

That's my point, what on Earth does his 40k salary have to do with selling a fan for what it is worth, even if the sum happens to be only £2? It's just a bit of a silly thing to say imo. £40k after 40% tax and living costs is hardly the Euromillions, and money is money.

I suspect he wasn't trying to suggest that you shouldn't sell things for what they are worth but rather questioning if it's an efficient use of a persons time. Take an extreme but slightly ficticious example as I don't know the up to date details - the boss of Coca Cola earns $20 a minute every minute of the day regardless of what he is doing, he stops at a hot dog vendor to purchase one and as he opens his wallet $10 flies out after a sudden gust of wind and blows down the street but he's still got $100+ in there - is it an efficient use of his time to spend 3 minutes chasing it down?

Of course you can do what you want with your free time but I can understand the argument that if you are on decent money it may cease to be worth your time to worry so much about the 'small' things.

If we are comparing 'The Boss of Coca Cola' losing a tenner out of his wallet, to a regular guy earning 40k and selling fans for a few quid, then I think we all need to step back and get a bit of perspective.

And for the record, generally the more you earn the more careful you are with small amounts of money. I work for a large financial company and see examples of it all the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom