*** The Official HTC 10 Thread ***

Caporegime
I can't understand how people who are paid to design the aesthetics of a phone can do such a terrible job
Looks like an uglier version on my Samsung galaxy nexus from 3+ years ago

This doesn't seem like personal taste either!

Associate
Happy I've gone for the S7 Edge, Had HTC's for my past few phones, But they have gone down hill rapidly :(

I think I'm in agreement with that.

Something in the back of my mind says holdout for the M10, but then I hear myself saying you just know they will make a dogs dinner of it in one way or other.

I don't think it will be long before I hit the order button on a S7 edge, shame really as I love the htc UI.

Soldato
I've had the M7, M8 and M9. I won't be ordering the M10. It's a shame really because HTC make such great hardware. This just doesn't do anything for me and the lack of stereo speakers is a big loss. Hopefully my S7 Edge should be here tomorrow.

Soldato
I'd previously thought I didn't like the earlier leaks and renders of the phone, but those real life photos above is making me think it's a fairly nice simple design.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Bottom right one looks OK. They really need to make the camera and better life special this time round. Not holding my breath!

Associate
They're hyping the cameras.

"World First, World Class, Front and Back. You’ll see. #powerof10 "
CdmdG0tW4AAIEmW.jpg

https://twitter.com/htc/status/709771156895756289

Associate
It has boomsound, just not front facing speakers as we know it.
Although they may utilise the earpiece speaker with the bottom speaker as they've done on at least one of their desire phones.

Rumour roundup:
he announcement date of the HTC 10 (M10) is rapidly approaching, but when exactly will that be? In this leak overview, we’ll overview everything we know so far about the logistics of release, specs, and design of the HTC 10.

When To Expect It
We’ve heard quite a number of rumored or leaked dates since January, many of those conflicting each other and generally creating confusion. There is no true best bet for when the M10 announcement will take place, but here are some possibilities based off of leaks. Additionally, I’ve also published an overview of the official HTC teasers that we’ve seen so far, and what they may indicate for the M10.

Dates seen on leaked renders:

• April 12th
  • April 19th
Dates leaked via social media:

• April 6th
  • April 19th
  • May 9th (for retail availability in the US)
Well known leaker, Evan Blass (@evleaks on Twitter) seems to be betting on an April 19th announcement, with retail availability in the United States the week of May 9th. He’s one of the most well known leakers out there when it comes to phones and tablets, but he has been wrong in the past. Essentially, no matter what the source, always take leaks with a grain of salt.

Blass has also referenced the April 19th date seen on the screen of the phone in one of the leaked renders as being “…nearly a lock for [the] HTC 10 launch.”. He hasn’t clarified whether ‘launch’ in this case means announcement or release, but having not posted a new guess for retail availability, it’s a safe bet that his guess is an April 19th announcement with retail availability three weeks later.

However, another possible date for the announcement has recently surfaced online, courtesy of Upleaks via Weibo, cryptically posting “20160406WKS”, which has been interpreted as implying an April 6th announcement in Beijing in Wukesong (WKS), presumably at the Wukesong Culture & Sports Center. This rumor came with the below image of an HTC invitation to the event.

I personally have doubts about the validity of the HTC invitation, given the previously unseen logotype graphic and the general lack of information on it. But, as always, it’s a possibility.

Specs
Again, largely reported by Evan Blass, this time via an article on Venture Beat, in addition to information collected via other miscellaneous sources since then, we have quite an extensive list of specs.

• Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
  • HTC Sense 8 UI
  • 5.2″ (~5.15″) QHD resolution display, potentially AMOLED
  • Fingerprint scanner, doubling as a home button
  • Capacitive navigation buttons on either side of the home button
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 with Adreno 530 graphics
  • 4 GB’s of RAM
  • 12 MP camera with laser assisted auto-focus (Sony IMX377 sensor with a 1.55 um pixel size)
  • Optical Image Stabilization on both the rear camera and the front facing camera
  • Storage starting at 32GB in most markets, with expandability via micro-SD
  • USB-C charging port
  • 3000-3600 mAh battery, depending on validity of various leaks
  • Boomsound audio, potentially with Hi-fi audio via MQA
Sense UI
Sense has always been one of the smoothest skins for Android on the market, and in addition to excellent performance, has become closer and closer to stock Android over the years. A fact sure to entice Nexus fans. You’ll be able to get a look at some of the default icons for Sense 8 in the renders below in the design section, but in addition to that, the new Sense is rumored to be the closest to stock yet. The HTC One A9 is most likely the closest we’ve seen to far to what it will be, what with its stock volume control overlay, notifications, and quick tiles.

Screen
The display will certainly be 5.2″ and of QHD (2560×1440) resolution. The shakiest bit of information regarding it is whether it will be an LCD panel, as has been traditional on HTC phones apart from 2015’s A9, or an AMOLED panel. Blass’ source for his initial specs leaks stated that the display “…looked to be of the AMOLED variety…”. Not exactly conclusive, but, as they used AMOLED on the A9 last year, it would be reasonable for them to continue that with the M10.

According to user Hamdir on the XDA-Developer forums, the display is certainly a Sharp panel. Whether LCD or AMOLED, we can’t say, but it allows for the possibility of it being an IGZO panel either way. This panel backplane technology enhances touchscreen sensitivity, and massively boosts efficiency. An IGZO panel was used on the Apple iPad Air, and was stated to have decreased screen power usage by up to 80%. Quite an impressive feat, especially for an LCD panel. If the display technology, whether LCD or AMOLED, uses IGZO, things will be looking good for the M10’s ability to go toe to toe with Samsung when it comes to the screen.

Camera
The Sony IMX377 is the same sensor that was used on the Nexus 6P last year. A quite favorably reviewed sensor, it has the potential to be even better on the M10 thanks to the addition of OIS (Optical Image Stabilization), and a wider aperture lens. Additionally, now that HTC has shown that they’ve learned from their missteps in camera technology and image processing, evidenced by performance from the A9, HTC’s camera software will most likely improve the experience from the Nexus 6P as well. RAW support, and manual photography settings are two enhancements over stock that HTC software brings to the table.

Speakers
While every leaked image and render we have shows that the M10 only has one speaker on the front (the earpiece), and a main speaker on the bottom of the device as with the iPhone and Galaxy S6&7, the information that we have points to a software solution to compensate for the absence of two front firing speakers.

The Desire 825, the flagship of HTC’s budget line-up was announced at this year’s Mobile World Congress and was stated to, like the two models below it, have Boomsound speakers. However, HTC wouldn’t allow any photos of the front of the device, and a leak showing the front of the device, reveals the same single front speaker as the M10. From this we can conclude that HTC has devised a method of combining audio from the earpiece speaker and bottom speaker, and applying various virtual audio techniques to give the illusion of two front firing speakers, and create a superior audio experience without the extra bezel room on the front required for that kind of audio in the past. The quality of this audio is yet to be determined, but if HTC is using it on both the Desire 825 and their flagship device, we can expect to receive some quality audio from it.

htc-desire-825.jpg

Leaked image of the front of the HTC Desire 825, showcasing the single earpiece speaker

Design
HTC has been a quite well respected design leader for years, and were instrumental in influencing the flagship phone market towards more premium build materials since their introduction of the One M7 in 2013. Since the One M9 was a largely iterative entry into the series, speculation over the design of the M10 has been a the subject of debate over the past few months as we’ve gotten closer to its release. The design also happens to be one of the most thoroughly leaked aspects of the phone.

Dimension estimates: 147.88 x 72.91 x 8.28 mm, with the thinnest point on the sides tapering in to 2.7mm.

These estimates are again, courtesy of Hamdir over at XDA, who has, based off of the M10 design leaks, created some beautiful renders of the phone, as well as calculating his best guess on its dimensions.

The M10 has 2.5D glass on the front, giving it the same slickly tapered screen edges as the A9 and the iPhone 6-6S. The M10, based on the leaked renders, will be available in at least a few different color options, with both black and white front bezels. I’ll let the following images of the M10 speak for themselves, however, keep in mind that the leaked images of the device out in the wild are rife with lens distortion, poor white balance, and fingerprints. The renders made by Hamdir are a much more accurate testament to the design of the M10. Remember the rule of leaked photos, it will always look better in person.

http://vrdwellersblog.com/2016/03/16/leak-overview-htc-10-m10/

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
OP
Apparently it will have "front-facing" stereo speakers, by way of virtualisation.

...HTC has devised a method of combining audio from the earpiece speaker and bottom speaker, and applying various virtual audio techniques to give the illusion of two front firing speakers, and create a superior audio experience without the extra bezel room on the front required for that kind of audio in the past.

http://vrdwellersblog.com/2016/03/16/leak-overview-htc-10-m10/

Back
Top Bottom