*** The official HTC One S thread ***

*Screen rotation faster'
Do want! :o

Ok so i had the opportunity to have a good play with my dads S3 earlier, although he still hadn't sorted out his google account so couldn't get any apps :rolleyes:

First thoughts, dat screen :o It's just so big and nice when you put them side by side, it was growing on me for sure. But then i'd pick the phone up and it's like holding a tablet... Bad enough using the S with one hand, the S3 is impossible if you want to use anything further up the screen than the keyboard and i don't exactly have small hands.. It's amazing how after 30 mins use my S feels so small, like my old LG did when i first got the S. Crazy times.

Didn't get the chance to try out any HD films on the S3 yet, will try that tomorrow or over the weekend at least.

I did try youtube though, and this is something major.

S
qTk1f.png
S3
7hz1F.jpg

Now those are both meant to be HQ video in youtube, there is no way the S actually is there. It looks exactly the same as it did with HD turned off on the S3. Now i know the screen is smaller, but that shouldnt stop it playing HD video should it? Or does the S only play 480p as HD because it doesn't have a 720p screen? If so that is terrible, the quality difference is just huge.

Terrible size comparison shot, camera wasn't playing ball today :mad: Don't know if he's going to keep the case on, i hope not but i don't think it matters to him.
AGkA4.jpg.png

Will report back with more findings after the weekend hopefully once i've filled his phone with apps :D

Last edited:
Some guy posted some improvements/changes that he has noticed (we already know of a few though):

Sounds great, looking forward to it.

Now those are both meant to be HQ video in youtube, there is no way the S actually is there. It looks exactly the same as it did with HD turned off on the S3. Now i know the screen is smaller, but that shouldnt stop it playing HD video should it? Or does the S only play 480p as HD because it doesn't have a 720p screen? If so that is terrible, the quality difference is just huge.

Yup - HD 720p only plays on screens with HD res. A big negative for me as HD YouTube is a must nowadays.

Avril? - MMMMMMdrooooooooooool!

Yup - HD 720p only plays on screens with HD res. A big negative for me as HD YouTube is a must nowadays.

Avril? - MMMMMMdrooooooooooool!

Well that sucks big time. I hadn't noticed it before with nothing to compare to but now i think i'll cry every time i watch youtube :(:p

Fullsize ;)
PNjKn.jpg

I personally haven't found there to be anything wrong with the screen rotation speed/sensitivity, but I do have my animation speed set to 0.5x now :p

Yeah, it won't play true 720P HD due to our screen not being 720P but there is something about a true 720P HD youtube modded app, haven't really looked into it though:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1529715

Mine laggs a bit sometimes especially going back to homescreen and turning at the same time always seems to get confused. May well be due to the animations though.

Might give that a go. To be honest i need better internet first, even on my desktop 720p struggles to buffer fast enough sometimes :rolleyes:

Awesome - will look into that for my S2 :)

You sure know all the good threads on XDA Nexus :D

Yup :p

Was going to give it a try there but you have to be rooted in order to remove the original youtube apk :(

Might give that a go. To be honest i need better internet first, even on my desktop 720p struggles to buffer fast enough sometimes :rolleyes:

Oh dear :o :p

Get on virgin or BT! Prices aren't too bad these days for 30MB+.

Last edited:
30mb virgin will cost the same as what our current 6? does at the moment i think :p If it wasn't in my dads name i'd do it myself but alas..

Will it not work just by fore stopping the youtube app then?

Some good news regarding jellybean:

http://www.androidgen.fr/sfr-publie...jelly-bean-pour-htc-one-x-actualite-3950.html

The operator at Red Square, SFR , has accustomed us to distribute calendars which are listed dates to update various Android smartphones.

Indeed, the operator has today published its updated forecast for different devices including HTC One X and One S ( test available here ) that will benefit from Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) in late 2012 . This would mean that people with one of these smartphones version will certainly bare this update a little earlier than the others, knowing that they already have the 4.1 version of Sense , the Taiwanese manufacturer of custom interface .

I don't think anyone here has rooted or flashed their S's apart from Johnnytoxic :p :o

Although I know of a few ROM's and trickdroid seems to be the best sense ROM and then of course you have CM 10 and 9, but I think there are a few bugs left and like 1 or 2 minor features missing.

EDIT:

BTW the X owners just got the 4.0.4 update today, Europe phones got it a couple of weeks ago, so it will probably be the same case with the S *sigh* :(

Last edited:
I just couldnt stay stock :D

I usually try out loads of different roms and then i'll settle on one that has the best battery life and features to be my daily driver.

At the moment i'm trying out CM10.

I don't think anyone here has rooted or flashed their S's apart from Johnnytoxic :p :o

Although I know of a few ROM's and trickdroid seems to be the best sense ROM and then of course you have CM 10 and 9, but I think there are a few bugs left and like 1 or 2 minor features missing.

EDIT:

BTW the X owners just got the 4.0.4 update today, Europe phones got it a couple of weeks ago, so it will probably be the same case with the S *sigh* :(

Well I still have my S though currently using the One X. Trickdroid is pretty good on the One S though fella that developed that is going to release his new project this afternoon - Viper One S which is based on the ViperX rom for One X - so more of a collaboration than his 'own' rom. That rom I've currently been using on the X. Not upgraded to version 2 of that rom due to lack of time though maybe this weekend if it rains. I'm certainly going to load the new rom on the One S when it's released and give it a try.

I've hung onto the One S. It's really an ideal size. I'd like to see if connection issues have improved with the latest updates from HTC incorporated into the new ROMs? I get connection drops all the time with the X, more so than I remember with the One S these days. Does vary on a daily basis and wonder if it's down to Three UK and getting kicked from an oversubscribed mast?? Just a theory. Used a T-Mobile PAYG sim and though signal strength was similar didn't drop connection. The X certainly does suffer from the death grip, or at least mine does. Connection never drops mid call though.

Ah yeah, remember reading something about that viper ROM last night, isn't it based on jellybean or something to do with 4.1?

This update does seem to have worked wonders regarding signal strength/consistency and the data connection as well (well for the majority of people anyway :p).

TBH, from your experience with the S, X and GS 2 regarding 3's signal it does sound like there is something wrong on their end, be it a problem with the mast or as you said just too many people that are connected to it. If it was just the one mobile then fair enough especially if it was just the S given it seems to be an issue, which many people are experiencing but to have the same problem on the X and the GS 2 as well.......

Based on Android 4.0.4 + Sense 4.1 - 2.31.401.5 release-keys (according to thread on XDA)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1850917

I've been using ViperX on my One X and it's been pretty good. Downloading ViperOneS now so maybe load up later.

I tend to think my probs are Three related. Should maybe have stayed with T-Mobile. Oh well, you live and learn :rolleyes: The One X soon recovers signal and it's so variable anyway.

Used my friends One V the other night, only just remembered :o Didn't feel too bad, kind of like an iphone to hold. Screen did seem small compared to the S though :p

One thing though, why the **** did HTC put an SD slot in the V and not the others :confused:

Having now tried the Viper One S rom for a little while I can report it is OK. I don't bother benchmarking so can't provide numbers but doesn't really feel any faster than the previous Trickdroid rom or for that matter the original stock OS. Of course it's more configurable with Venom Tweaks though not quite so much as the Viper version for One X.

Unfortunately signal problems were a good deal worse. Signal was about the same strength but constant flicking between H and 3G which never had so much before and signal level flicking from no connection to full strength and all inbetween I've not seen so bad? Signal strength is still better on my One X as is signal stability. Connection drops occasionally but does does reconnect pretty promptly on the X.

A little disappointed with my One S. Hoping Viper One S rom would improve things signal wise on what I presume to be the latest radio baseband? Been holding off selling one of the HTC One phones for some time. Only need and use one phone at a time. Looking increasingly like I'll return the One S to a stock rom and sell it. I'm on Three UK so that may be part of my problem. One S against the One X feels better in the pocket being smaller and feelss that bit more sturdy due to aluminum chassis. I don't bother with phone case/skins anymore, prefering the 'naked' feel of both the X and the S. Not like I'm keeping either phone forever :D

Wow i have to say I've never noticed the whole 2g/3g signal issue before but I'm sitting here at my mum's with 3g on and struggling to get any signal. If I swap to gsm only I get 4-5 bars immediately! Mad..

Back
Top Bottom