*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Hmm, maybe the software support on the new motorola phones won't be so bad now :D
They know they're in deep doo-doo and have to sort themselves out - seems like they are actually trying now and have Google to help them out.

Tempted! Just a shame they don't look nicer though. Wonder how the camera will compare to the X/S and GS 3.

The front is aS good as its going to get - the back of the old RAZR was nicer imo. I'm hoping the camera is better then my S2.

Yeah with google backing them now this could be the fresh start that they needed and possibly could become the best OEM for updates/software.

It could be much better! :p Nah, for me their phones don't really do much for me when it comes to design, the old RAZR was nicer but still pretty carp when compared to the GN, one S/X etc.

Will have to wait and see, hoping it will be good.

I kind of ignored this phone but picked up one for my better half to replace her Galaxy SII. After a day of being in her handbag the casing is in a terrible state - scratch on the rear and some chips on the front. The coating seems to be made of cheese or something.

Yeah, the majority of the black model phones seem to have a problem with the MAO layer, mainly along the top edge and sides as well as the USB port, although some have been lucky to not have anywhere as bad issues i.e. me, skillmister and stoosh and a few others iirc. I only have chipping along the inside of the USB socket. There is a newer version of the black model out, which has smoother edges and a bevelled USB socket to prevent the chipping issue.

Although if the phone is being thrown into a handbag with hair brush, keys, make up stuff etc. :p Then any black one S will come out looking terrible :p

Best thing to do is either get a diztronic matte case or return and get the grey version, it hasn't been MAO, just has an anodized layer of aluminium and has no problems with chipping etc.

Just curious, which version did you receive, the S4 or S3 version? Can find this out by installing quadrant and checking the CPU clock speed, S4 is 1.5GHz and S3 is 1.7GHz.

Nice! :cool:

Once you use a S4 powered phone, there is no going back :p :D

I do really like the look of the XT, but waiting to see the nexus devices first.

Be sure to post your thoughts on it when you get your hands on it :)

HTC completely failed with the MAO treatment and marketing. I think I might go for a full polished aluminium finish :)

Nice one Stoosh, the Xperia T looks great.

Nice! :cool:

Once you use a S4 powered phone, there is no going back :p :D

I do really like the look of the XT, but waiting to see the nexus devices first.

Be sure to post your thoughts on it when you get your hands on it :)

Thanks Mate! :) The XT looks great I wish Sony would release it in the UK.

You're right with the S4 chip, there's really no going back! I really hope one of the manufacturers release a S4 powered Nexus device. That will be awesome! :D

Apparently there's a HTC event on the 19th September and apparently HTC will be announcing the Flyer 2 which is powered by the S4 chip. I'll definately be looking at getting one of them! :D

sarge78 an aluminium One S is going to be unique! :D

I actually saw a HTC One S in grey today and it didn't look bad! It's a good alternative to the black one in case people are worried about the chipping issue.

Nope, don't have any tinting at all no matter what brightness I have set.

All screens vary with regards to colours/tinting.

If it is really noticeable, you could return and get another one possibly? As always be careful with getting a replacement though as if you have a S4 version you could get a S3 chip version back.

Last edited:
hmm, it's pretty noticeable at anything less than 50%... I just had the casing replaced because of chipping under the HTC warranty. Not sure they'll entertain a replacement screen due to a colour tint though... (bought the phone used originally)

Just been reading the thread a little and I'm guessing it is probably not the best idea to get this as an upgrade for my other half's Wildfire because of the fragile case?

But then again anything is better than that pile of crap, which she's had for two years!

What site do people get contracts from these days?

If she is someone who isn't that careful then probably not the best idea :p But as pointed out, the grey one is just fine regarding the chipping issue that most of the black ones have and it is always best to have a case on anyway even more so with women! :p

If your wife doesn't mind a case, I highly recommend the diztronic case, can see my review here:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1090499-diztronic-matte-black-tpu-case/

Regarding contracts, generally this site is consider to be one of the best:

http://www.buymobilephones.net/

The One S is actually built like a tank (minus the usual HTC weakness of buttons and caps) the chipping is purely cosmetic. Get a grey S4, It'll blow her mind coming from a wildfire!

Okay, sweet. Not really worried about the damage now. She has been using her phone for a few months with a cracked screen! But totally the opposite when it comes to new things (protects it as much as possible).

The Wildfire is beyond awful indeed, phones have come a long way in two years!

RIP micro arc oxidation, you'll be missed.

7955502174_bdc53b2c3c.jpg

7955502392_a22cc64268.jpg

A better brushed finish will be added later on :p

Back
Top Bottom