*** The official HTC One S thread ***

^ Do it! :D

It actually feels really, really nice to hold. :)
All the surfaces now have the same smooth consistency, so you get a seamless feel from the screen all the way to the back. (minus top/bottom caps obviously) More pics after I get a fancy finish :p

Note: Removing the case voids your warranty! :(

It took about 3 hours with wetordry P600 (MAO came off quite easily :p) and 2 mins of AutoGlyn metal polish. :cool:

7957380800_bb91a3d27b_c.jpg

Bonus HDR sunset pic from HOS.
7957384322_8ddf0c5ee7_z.jpg

Damn that actually looks superb sarge, dare I say better than both the black and grey S! You now have a very unique one S :cool:

You got a guide/video on how to remove the casing?

If only I lived near you, you could do mine for me as well :p

Very nice photo there as well :cool:

EDIT:

Could you post a pic of the front as well please :p

Last edited:
Here's a good guide for the Sensation and I used this teardown vid for case removal (You'll need a cheap plastic opening tool and T5 screwdriver from ebay)
The bottom cap was a bit of a pain but the whole thing is quite easy, props to HTC on a solid design. (minus caps)

Unfortunately you need to remove the warranty void sticker over the top right T5 screw! Proceed with caution!
(It probably isn't worth it unless you like a bit of bling or just **** off with the flaking and don't want to mess around trying to get a S4 back :D)

Mmm aluminium (insert blue Hyper Glaze joke here :p)
7957569958_3709bab28b_z.jpg

Here's some rushed shots of the front (before the polish) and a pic of the side.
7957567998_fca092b93b.jpg

7957572854_7cfd811541.jpg

7957382688_f437c000e3.jpg

Got them bookmarked and will eventually do this as well, probably not till mine gets a few dents/chips though.

It does look damn nice, even without the polish.

You should post a thread on XDA as I remember someone posting a joke about just sanding the MAO layer off completely and have a silver phone instead. Am sure that many people would do the same as well after seeing some pics, although your phone won't be unique for much longer then :p

Plus it may even get featured on XDA homepage ;)

Mmm aluminium (insert blue Hyper Glaze joke here :p)

:D

PS. Get rid of chrome and install quick ics browser! :p

EDIT:

Just watching the video, it actually looks really straight forward, thought it would have been more complicated :o :p

Last edited:
Wow! :eek: That is bad! Why on earth would you mix your keys with your mobile in the same pocket especially given how easy the One S chips!?!?!

Mine is still in perfect condition apart from around the USB port insides, no chip marks anywhere, I was using the diztronic case a while ago and still do on certain occasions, but it is off for the majority of the time, HTC have done too good of a job regarding the feel and how comfortable the S is to hold and it is something, which you can't miss out on :p :o

Yeah I seen that thread as well skillmister, however, as usual the majority of people think that gorilla glass is completely scratch proof (doesn't help that the one S sub-forum seems to be full of idiots as well...... well the majority of XDA is full of idiots anyway :o :p)and when they get a scratch on the gorilla glass, they jump to the conclusion that it isn't gorilla glass or some really cheaply made gorilla glass or something, little do they realise how easy it can scratch, no point whatsoever of these videos where people take a knife/key etc. to the screen as the gorilla glass is fine against that, however, it is useless against grid/sand, which is in more places than you would think, particularly your pockets, only takes one tiny piece and a bit of force to scratch the screen, same for all phones and that is why screen protectors are great! :D :p Some phones do appear to be weaker than others i.e. the GS 3 screen, but I think that is cause they made it thinner but at the same time it also became weaker despite what Samsung saying "same toughness, just thinner" :p

At the end of the day, I can guarantee that every phone, which has "gorilla glass" has had at least a few people complaining about scratches and it also comes down to luck and how careful you are with the device.

XDA? Full of idiots .. :D:D .. who generally ask the same question multiple times that has been answered on a post the previous day or sooner. The developers such as on the Viper X rom do a good job though must get tired of some of the dumb stuff that is asked :rolleyes:

On the subject of scratching and getting sick of peeling bits of plastic stuck to the screen or indeed ending up stuck on my ear :D I've been giving a packet of Crystalusion Liquid Glass Screen Protector a try. Now highly cynical of such snake oil but given it a go anyway. It's two wipes, one to clean the phone and one to apply the liquid 'glass'. I've treated both my One X and S and too date I've found it to be very good. Seems to make the glass feel very smooth though after plastic guards bare glass is a lot smoother anyway. I never carry anything else in same pocket as phone but dirt and grit are a hazard of my job leaving fine scratches on the glass. Well after 3 weeks or so the glass is still pristine. Glass seems to wipe clean of grease and sweat a whole lot easier. May be wishful thinking but so far so good. Not expensive for a packet and supposed to last a year between applications depending on use. Also supposed to be anti bacterial. A report said a high percentage of mobiles had faecal contamination :eek:

I'm still skeptical but seems ok after 3 weeks normal for me use. Screens look a so better without a sheet of plastic stuck over them :) I suspect if you really want to scratch it you could but with some reasonable care, Crystalusion could be OK? Time will tell. Certainly not missing the sheets of plastic :D

They look great specs wise and huge batteries :D, however, design is rather ugly :p Software doesn't look too bad on them, however, crappy support and lack of updates = an instant no no :p

Plus their cameras are usually pretty poor.

The Razr M caught my interest and then there is a report that it may well ship with an Intel chip instead of the S4 :mad: Typical Motorola. Time will tell but may keep an eye out when they eventually land in the UK. Motorola's never seem to suffer from bad reception (subject to a good signal in first place?) and is what may sway me that way. Could be some interesting phones coming our way though :D

That said I've been using my One S again this week. Now loaded with latest ViperOne S rom. Reception is still flaky at best. I do like the size of the One S over the One X for day to day use but sit down to browse or whatever and the One X screen is the daddy :D One S is still a good screen and has better contrast and colour saturation than the X though for photography may be over saturated for viewing photos? Photos transferred from One S to computer don't seem over saturated. I just wish reception was improved and a little more support from HTC for the One S and I'd probably stick with it. It seems to me it was a great phone that never quite was? T'other thing is battery management doesn't seem as good as One X? Both phones I have running same/similar setups and One S never seems to last quite so well. Took One X off charge at 6am and had maybe 45mins screen time and maybe 8 phone calls, a bit of browsing and email and the odd txt and battery was at 56% by 10pm. Not heavy use by any means I know. Of course the X maybe has 1 to 5% of the day without signal where the S is doing anything from 10 to 35% though this is better than it used to be.

It took about 3 hours with wetordry P600 (MAO came off quite easily :p) and 2 mins of AutoGlyn metal polish. :cool:

7957380800_bb91a3d27b_c.jpg

Nice one Sarge. HTC missed a trick there with the One S :D

Next thing you'll be cutting a small hole in the case and putting a small window in as per computer case modding :cool:

I got an email through the other day about that Crystalusion Liquid Glass Screen Protector and had a look but was a bit sceptical about it. Is it easy to remove? In fact, how do you remove it? :p

I have no problems with my screen protector, still fitted perfectly on my screen, but the build up of grease, finger prints daily is getting annoying now (to the point where I really want to take it off) and if that CLGSP is much better in this area whilst actually protecting the screen then I may give it a shot.

And yeah the reason your battery life sucks on the S is due to the poor signal :p

They certainly have missed out on an even better looking device, would have never had any issues with chipping, people returning the S etc. if they just did what Sarge did. The more I look at those photos, the more tempted I to order the tools etc. to do the same to mine :o :p Who knows maybe HTC will do the same with the rest of their black models and all the ones that have been returned due to chipping issues and are sitting in the warehouse and start to sell them :D :p

Last edited:
I got an email through the other day about that Crystalusion Liquid Glass Screen Protector and had a look but was a bit sceptical about it. Is it easy to remove? In fact, how do you remove it? :p

I have no problems with my screen protector, still fitted perfectly on my screen, but the build up of grease, finger prints daily is getting annoying now (to the point where I really want to take it off) and if that CLGSP is much better in this area whilst actually protecting the screen then I may give it a shot.

You can't remove it and it's invisible :p I may well have only cleaned the phone with the wipes supplied. May well be expensive medi wipes :rolleyes: You only have their word that you have actually applied anything. Emperors new clothes come to mind :D It will eventually wear off. You can, as I did, do the whole of the phone though be careful not to get moisture into the phone where it might not be welcome. It's a single use product though it'll do several phones at once. I paid something over £6. The phone does seem easier to keep clean though those plastic films really attract grease and finger marks. I can't say for sure it works but for now it's been OK here no scratches yet and I did manage to put 2 fine scratches on my first One S in the first week. Guessing that would be grit in my pocket.

And yeah the reason your battery life sucks on the S is due to the poor signal :p

Damn, yes of course. Forgot about that. Been trying to work out what is sucking the battery dry. Similar use as per my One X sees the S down to 20% by 7pm (One X can be 60% left at same time)

They certainly have missed out on an even better looking device, would have never had any issues with chipping, people returning the S etc. if they just did what Sarge did. The more I look at those photos, the more tempted I to order the tools etc. to do the same to mine :o :p Who knows maybe HTC will do the same with the rest of their black models and all the ones that have been returned due to chipping issues and are sitting in the warehouse and start to sell them :D :p

What would happen to all these returns? Surely HTC will have taken a hit?

Nexus, you make me laugh. You pigheadedly refused to root and rid yourself of the 3 dot menu and along comes Sarge with a shiny One S and you're reaching for the tool kit and sandpaper :D:D:D You mad fool :p

Hmm I don't like not being able to remove it! And yeah could very well just be a wipe, which in fact doesn't provide any layer at all :p

Will have to think about it, cheapest I can find is around £9 (when you include delivery), shame mobile fun doesn't stock them as I could then get it for free and in return do a mini review on them.

The only reason I would move to it is for the better resistance to grease/finger prints, such a pita in the last few months with mine (given the heat/high humidity), have actually just taken mine of 5 minutes ago due to the constant finger prints/grease build up, will see how it goes for the rest of the day and reapply a new one tomorrow morning. Screen is much nicer now that I don't have a smear of grease/finger prints over it, even when I cleaned the screen with the protector on, it still had that same oily/shiny look (although I have had the same one for months now)

They probably just replace the casing of the returned one S devices with the newer design or the grey anodized aluminium instead and if the screen is scratched at all, replace the screen and put them back into the couriers to be delivered to all your shops and sold again and returned again probably :p

hehe :D I know, but the whole process of removing the casing and sanding it looks easier than the rooting/flashing custom ROMs method to me :o :p Although I am seriously considering rooting and flashing a custom ROM on my S now, tired of the lack of updates/priority of the S now, by the time the one X gets jellybean, no doubt will still be waiting for the 4.0.4 update officially......

:D

Time for some more photos :p

TC looks rather big here!

Mbh54.jpg
Some of my neighbours cat:

GMRmj.jpg
8SIZM.jpg
Next few are just using the built in vignette effects whilst taking a photo:

ZTRBZ.jpg
H3fqG.jpg
zG88G.jpg
VhP8J.jpg