*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Nexus - Any indication of when the xl may appear? Its a two man race between this and the GS3 now!

Orange gets full signal at home, and at work so signal performance isn't such an issue (have a htc desire with orange sim in and its awesome!)

@richy

You know what to do, move to a different network where you get very strong signal and keep the one S, problem solved :p

Oh I wish it was so simple. I've been on T-Mobile for a few years with various phones - HTC Desire, a cheapy Nokia, Nokia with qwerty keyboard (forget the model name but you probably know the one I mean), Motorola Defy and Motorola Razr (the old flip phone?) and all of them have never had issue with signal in my area. Tried payg sims of the main 4 and Three came out strongest and fastest. T-Mob were a close second and O2 and Vodafone were very poor. So then got a One S and suddenly I have signal issues big time with 0 to 1 bar (WTF?) One X is a little better though no where near what I used to have.

I have since tried a payg sim from T-Mob in both the One phones and signal is no better in fact a little worse. Only upside is with the One S is doesn't seem to drop connection quite so much.

Had a conversation with a fella at Clove and he informed me this scenario is quite common. Lot of people getting the latest smartphones and suddenly finding they have signal issues. I personally think both the One phones have poor antennas. Signal in cities is generally good though does lose signal rather quickly in shops and cafes where Moto Defy doesn't. The latter I add still has 4 to 5 bar signal in my house where the One phones both struggle at times to get any on both T-mobile and Three. All this backed up by the Network Signal app.

This is why I'll look at the new Razr phones when they are available. The 4.7" screen of Razr Maxx with an S4 chip should good? No one ever mentions signal reception hardly when testing new mobile phones but then I suppose most will be in a city where signal is good. I've banged on about this more than enough :rolleyes::rolleyes: One X I can live with for now :D

god im getting well confused now.............

lucky i was just gonna change in my htc one s and get one......

might get the iphone 5 now as they are doing that for 36£

EDIT. Just dropped mine from 1st floor and it landed screen down:(

:) lucky for me my cheap 1.99 case from the bay saved it!:) thank got it covers the corners a little bit

Last edited:
I wouldn't get the iPhone 5 for LTE services in the UK, it lacks support for the all important 800MHz and 2.6 GHz frequencies.
You'll have gimped coverage when mbnl start rolling out the full service later in 2013 (and no LTE on o2/voda)

Well i've only had 8m 9s of suspend_backoff today. 7min 49s of which was between 9-11am. I have no idea why it's been so much lower today, i haven't changed anything but i'm not complaining :p

1d 3h 32m charge. 15% left. 4h 15m screen time. Best it's been in a while.

Never posted this did i? 3 Panoramas manually stitched. They weren't quite level because i suck at taking photos :D so i had to cut a bit off the top or bottom of each. And a bit of exposure correction..

RCUpD.jpg

Wow! Very very nice! :cool:

Will have to give that a shot as well now :p :D

Glad to see you got your battery issue sorted, wonder what it was.

EDIT:

New name I see! I miss "skillmister" :p

Oh, is that Skillmister? :p

I was like, hm, that person has managed to keep a low profile, making 11k posts and I haven't seen any!

ok so im selling of my s2 to recycling..

and getting either one s or nexus

reasons why should i get one over the other?

ONE S

better camera
better cpu
better design

cons

no direct updates from google
non hd screen
smaller screen

Nexus

better screen
better OS support
bigger screen

Cons

OK camera
slower cpu

??? anything i've missed? what would you get?

The battery life is quite a lot better on the One S (but it isn't user replaceable). The audio quality on the One S is better as well.

Choosing between the Nexus and One S is tricky because stock Jelly Bean is great, as is the bigger screen, but the sensible option is the One S, unquestionably.

@grudas

:eek:

Do my eyes deceive me!!!!!???

:p

You got a good price the GS 2 there.

You pretty much got it spot on there and Robbo included the other main points missing. Also the NLED is better on the galaxy nexus and the battery is removable in the GN (might be an advantage for you or not)

Another factor, which might be important for you is the developing community. The one S community is ok, not very large but the ROM's available seem to be done to a pretty good standard and iirc CM 10 is pretty much fully working missing a few minor features and there are a lot of good mods, like the camera mod etc. But being a nexus/google device, the community will be much better and there will be more choice for ROMs.

Personally I wouldn't really be buying anything just yet though (unless you really need one now) as you have a lot of new phones coming out, which look very good.

EDIT:

Just remember to check what your coverage is like for your home, work, friends houses areas etc. as the S isn't great in areas where you get weak reception. This should be solved/improved in the 4.0.4 update, no idea when we will be getting that update though, in theory it should be by the end of this month........

EDIT 2:

Another advantage of the S, it has GLONASS (more accurate and faster lock on GPS). I don't think the GN has this.....

Last edited:
In my opinion, the point of a Nexus device is so you don't have to worry so much about ROMs, so that's not a big issue or advantage of it.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON

3h 20 on battery, down to 72% already after 40 min screen time. 2h suspend_backoff :mad: I'm starting to have a sneaky suspicion it's to do with wi-fi signal as my wi-fi has been dropping off quite often while browsing, only for a second or 2 and coming straight back (which fits exactly with the description of what causes suspend_backoff to run) so it must be doing it while my phone is "asleep". Still no idea why as nothing has changed at all that could affect that. Just really need to upgrade to virgin media so we can have a decent router.

Well my main gripe with my SGS2 was the size, so have been using my k610i recently. I quickly got bored of it... so decided to swap in the SGS2 and I finally have a HTC One S :)

Main thing that pulled me to this phone is the screen, the size (pretty much the same) and the camera! Oh and I guess I kinda wanted a change too!

Just cut down my simcard and now its working a charm.

I think I want to keep this pretty stock, but undecided as I need root anyway. I guess I could jump to a more up to date rom with a stock feel, rooted and pair it with a good kernel?

Any ideas whats best? :)

Ta!

Back
Top Bottom