*** The official HTC One S thread ***

I think I want to keep this pretty stock, but undecided as I need root anyway. I guess I could jump to a more up to date rom with a stock feel, rooted and pair it with a good kernel?

Any ideas whats best? :)

Ta!

Again, I haven't rooted etc. yet.......... :p

But from a brief read at XDA/what most people on running seems to either be:

Trickdroid
Viper
CM 10

Relatively new this next one, but it is looking good!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1862156

Although remember if you move to a non-sense ROM, the camera won't be as good for features/UI and quality as well as some other stuff. Only non-sense ROM, which still has the sense camera is MIUI IIRC.

@grudas

:eek:

Do my eyes deceive me!!!!!???

:p

You got a good price the GS 2 there.

You pretty much got it spot on there and Robbo included the other main points missing. Also the NLED is better on the galaxy nexus and the battery is removable in the GN (might be an advantage for you or not)

Another factor, which might be important for you is the developing community. The one S community is ok, not very large but the ROM's available seem to be done to a pretty good standard and iirc CM 10 is pretty much fully working missing a few minor features and there are a lot of good mods, like the camera mod etc. But being a nexus/google device, the community will be much better and there will be more choice for ROMs.

Personally I wouldn't really be buying anything just yet though (unless you really need one now) as you have a lot of new phones coming out, which look very good.

EDIT:

Just remember to check what your coverage is like for your home, work, friends houses areas etc. as the S isn't great in areas where you get weak reception. This should be solved/improved in the 4.0.4 update, no idea when we will be getting that update though, in theory it should be by the end of this month........

EDIT 2:

Another advantage of the S, it has GLONASS (more accurate and faster lock on GPS). I don't think the GN has this.....

i know lol! but i want a change and i thought about it :) and it would only cost me around ~60quid to change from a used ~1year old s2 to a brand new one s and the one with 1.7ghz cpu too

the only thing i have to do now is replace my mini usb port on my s2 and ill send it off :)

i don't mind the 16gb storage space - been using deezer for ages and have only 12 tracks on my phone :o so the only thing the space will be used for is pictures/videos :)

while one s is really not a huge upgrade it will be a nice change :) as im perfectly happy with the performance of my s2

but its hard to choose between them two now :/

i use the camera quite a bit but then again i don't think the camera sensor on the nexus would put me off a lot, then again the better the camera the better the pictures - i only have snapped 500 or so since December.

ahh hard to choose, but ill make my mind up once the time comes! :D

Hmm, I would definitely try to get the 1.5GHz CPU version (it is the S4 CPU) rather than the 1.7GHz (S3)! Battery life and performance won't be as good, plus it doesn't seem to be receiving the 4.0.4 update iirc.

Only 500 photos/videos since December!?!? I have over 1000 (not including photos of items for reviews) since the middle of April! :p :o

Hmm, I would definitely try to get the 1.5GHz CPU version (it is the S4 CPU) rather than the 1.7GHz (S3)! Battery life and performance won't be as good, plus it doesn't seem to be receiving the 4.0.4 update iirc.

Only 500 photos/videos since December!?!? I have over 1000 (not including photos of items for reviews) since the middle of April! :p :o

all i want is for it to perform the same as my s2 did? and i guess the s3 cpu will do the job ? battery life, well as long as it lasts me all day - 3-4 hrs screen on time im cool with it too :) plus i guess it'll be cheaper for me to upgrade from s2 by getting ONE S with s3 chip.

yup! :D and i thought it was a lot..

I can't comment on what exactly it would be like as I have never used a S3 version but I would imagine that it should perform roughly the same, but overall I can't see it feeling as quick though, especially as "instant/snappy" as the S4 version :p I am sure that it will cope with standard tasks like browsing, games etc. perfectly well and you would have a hard time noticing the differences but in the more demanding web pages i.e. the awesome GIFS thread here it could be very noticeable.

The biggest difference will be battery life, again, no idea what the S3 is like as no one has really posted any screenshots/info. about it on XDA, but in theory it won't be as good as the S4, I don't think you will get near 4 hours on screen time, at max 3 hours 30 minutes I would say. Plus the CPU has been overclocked by like 200MHz iirc, which will drain battery even quicker then.

Another advantage of the S4 (not really a huge pro though :p) is how cool it runs, the mobile feels nice to hold when gaming and not getting too toasty :p

Regarding prices, there is no difference between the two, which is sneaky of HTC/shops! Going by the current prices, there is no way I would pay £350 for the S3 version, when you could get the S4 for the same price from somewhere else, at most I would pay £270 for the S3.

Also, if you do get the one S, when you decide to sell it on (assuming on ebay) you will get more for it than the S3 version.

Last edited:
I can't comment on what exactly it would be like as I have never used a S3 version but I would imagine that it should perform roughly the same, but overall I can't see it feeling as quick though, especially as "instant/snappy" as the S4 version :p I am sure that it will cope with standard tasks like browsing, games etc. perfectly well and you would have a hard time noticing the differences but in the more demanding web pages i.e. the awesome GIFS thread here it could be very noticeable.

The biggest difference will be battery life, again, no idea what the S3 is like as no one has really posted any screenshots/info. about it on XDA, but in theory it won't be as good as the S4, I don't think you will get near 4 hours on screen time, at max 3 hours 30 minutes I would say. Plus the CPU has been overclocked by like 200MHz iirc, which will drain battery even quicker then.

Another advantage of the S4 (not really a huge pro though :p) is how cool it runs, the mobile feels nice to hold when gaming and not getting too toasty :p

Regarding prices, there is no difference between the two, which is sneaky of HTC/shops! Going by the current prices, there is no way I would pay £350 for the S3 version, when you could get the S4 for the same price from somewhere else, at most I would pay £270 for the S3.

Also, if you do get the one S, when you decide to sell it on (assuming on ebay) you will get more for it than the S3 version.

hmm that makes the decision a bit harder lol! i was leaning toward one s but now its even harder :) the one im looking at is priced at 278 for the gray version with 1.7ghz s3

or 252 for nexus.. :o

loads of youtube videos will help me decide i guess..

Last edited:
Cheapest I can find is this:

http://www.valuebasket.com/en_GB/HTC-One-S-SIM-Free--Unlocked-(Grey)/mainproduct/view/10689-AA-GY

Says in the spec. sheet, S4, but I would send them an email or ring them just to confirm that, as some places still advertise the S4, however, are actually the S3 versions.

Hmm, £252 for the nexus is very very tempting!

Indeed! Loads of videos comparing the two on youtube :)

Either way you can't really go wrong with whatever one you get :)

yup ill have to email them if i decide to go for one s :)

If it had the S3 chip I'd get the Nexus.

i was thinking that, they are not THAT much different, yes the specs etc on the one s(s4) are better! but do i really need it? i mean i don't play games, i only listen to music, browse, youtube/texting/calls thats all i use my phone for

thats why my s2 does the job with the cpu/gpu it has

so really just how bad is the nexus camera compared to s2?

It's not that bad, it's just not as good as the S2/One S, however it is quite good in low light.

http://hemorrdroids.net/samsung-galaxy-nexus-vs-samsung-galaxy-sii-s2-camera-test/

That should give you a 'real world' idea of the difference.

The One S camera is better than the S2 but not by much really. The video recording on the other hand is worse than the S2 - not sure if it's better than the Nexus, the Nexus video is quite decent.

I personally think the nexus camera is pretty good, not as bad as what a lot of people/review sites make it out to be IMO. It is very good for low lit shots as well, better than the GS 2.

For your uses, essentially this:

Browsing - Obviously nexus will be better for the "viewing experience" with more stuff being fitted in and sharper text and the one S will be better for the "performance experience" (S4 that is, no idea about the S3)

Music - one S by quite a bit

Youtube - nexus as you get true 720P HD on playback (there is a way around this for phones that don't have 720P displays but you have to root), plus bigger screen as well.

Texting/calls - both the same really, although the one S would have better/clearer audio

Even though the one S screen is smaller and not 720P, I think the rest of it is better than the GN screen regarding colours and especially outside view-ability in sunshine.

It's not that bad, it's just not as good as the S2/One S, however it is quite good in low light.

http://hemorrdroids.net/samsung-galaxy-nexus-vs-samsung-galaxy-sii-s2-camera-test/

That should give you a 'real world' idea of the difference.

The One S camera is better than the S2 but not by much really. The video recording on the other hand is worse than the S2 - not sure if it's better than the Nexus, the Nexus video is quite decent.

doesn't look as people love to make out! :) really don't mind the camera on it :D

I personally think the nexus camera is pretty good, not as bad as what a lot of people/review sites make it out to be IMO. It is very good for low lit shots as well, better than the GS 2.

For your uses, essentially this:

Browsing - Obviously nexus will be better for the "viewing experience" with more stuff being fitted in and sharper text and the one S will be better for the "performance experience" (S4 that is, no idea about the S3)

Music - one S by quite a bit

Youtube - nexus as you get true 720P HD on playback (there is a way around this for phones that don't have 720P displays but you have to root), plus bigger screen as well.

Texting/calls - both the same really, although the one S would have better/clearer audio

Even though the one S screen is smaller and not 720P, I think the rest of it is better than the GN screen regarding colours and especially outside view-ability in sunshine.

music? i don't think it will be worse than s2? afaik it has a rubbish dac chip in it? and i didn't really mind the audio quality of it :) the rest seems fine

im leaning towards nexus tbh

costs less, regular updates, hd screen, good enough camera

the only extras one s has for me is aluminum shell(not that bothered as i find my s2 build to be fine) better cpu/gpu and camera

ill decide if its worth an extra 50quid over the nexus when the time comes to buy :)

thanks for all the info

The audio quality of the One S is one of - if not the - best. The Nexus is fine though, most people aren't audiophiles.

The Nexus also has a metal internal frame, so feels quite substantial and very well made compared to the Galaxy S 3 for example. It's quite an odd effect but you'll see what I mean if you get one.

Regarding audio, most people probably aren't bothered as Robbo said, I am no audiophile myself but when I played back some BF 3 youtube videos, streaming fims and music I was truly shocked at how good it was, really clear, got a great depth to it and very loud.

The nexus does feel very nice in the hand especially considering the size.

And yup as fluttershy said, the front camera on the one S isn't great, it is VGA after all :p Personally I never use it though. IIRC the galaxy nexus has a much better front camera.

Photo I took using the front camera:

HbmMl.jpg

Stock jellybean combined with regular updates and the 720P screen certainly has made the nexus a strong contender against the top end phones now. Regardless of the CPU/GPU I would say it is the most future proof as well due to the above as well as having NFC.

5000th post! :D

I never use it either really, was just trying out skype with my dad last night and the difference was night and day :o I suppose in theory you could just turn the phone round and use the back camera so long as you don't care about seeing the other person :p

Yeah:
One S - VGA
S3 - 1.9MP
Nexus - 1.3MP
One X - 1.3MP

Shame really, but i suppose that's the whole problem with them releasing 3 phones :mad:
As above audio is excellent.

Congrats :p

Back
Top Bottom