*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Cheers. That is good to know. My dear mama had got around her desire HD without a problem for 18 months. This one was chosen for sense and the better battery life compared to the one x.

I can't wait to compare it to my gs2 too especially regarding sound quality.

Do you know if it is the S4 or S3 version that you're getting?

If not and wherever you bought it from doesn't state which chip it is (they could also state it as being the S4 version when it actually isn't), install quadrant standard edition benchmark app and check out the CPU info.

S4 - 1.5GHz
S3 - 1.7GHz

Also, just in case you aren't aware, the majority of black one S devices have chipping issues along the top and sides, if it starts to show a sign of this you can return and get a replacement or just buy a case like the diztronic matte TPU case or return and get the grey model, which doesn't have this problem.

Do you know if it is the S4 or S3 version that you're getting?

If not and wherever you bought it from doesn't state which chip it is (they could also state it as being the S4 version when it actually isn't), install quadrant standard edition benchmark app and check out the CPU info.

S4 - 1.5GHz
S3 - 1.7GHz

Also, just in case you aren't aware, the majority of black one S devices have chipping issues along the top and sides, if it starts to show a sign of this you can return and get a replacement or just buy a case like the diztronic matte TPU case or return and get the grey model, which doesn't have this problem.

Thankyou for this. The phone is coming from orange; I will update later as to what I get

Oh dear.

Looks like HTC still haven't truly fixed the signal issue yet then :o

Weird because nearly everyone has commented on the signal being much better.

That would be my experience of the latest update though of course mine isn't direct from HTC and comes via the latest Viper One S rom. Signal levels are the same but get far more H/3g switching. I still think it's hardware more than software (not the H/3g switching) with the One S which is a shame.

Apart from the 3 dot menu I doubt you'll see much else by the way of improvements though never seen a changelog for the update? Hopefully you'll get it soon Nexus then you'll see for sure ;)

I do hope we we see some improvement in signal :( I'm on an unlocked/unbranded S. No update as of yet :( Am I right in thinking this isn't even jellybean?

Nope it ain't jellybean, just a minor android update really (4.0.4).

There do seem to be quite a few improvements from what I read other than just signal (for some that is :p) from the top of my head:

- faster browsing with the sense browser
- improved pings with mobile data connection
- wifi performance and stability improved

But yeah the 3 dot menu button is what I am most excited about :p

Doubt I will see any improvements as my signal is fine, although not consistent, wifi is perfect etc.

from the HTC site, this is what it's supposed to do:

Update Android 4.0.4 and HTC Sense 4.1 update for Europe on 08.22.2012Collapse
HTC Sense Version: 4.1
Android Version: 4.0.4
Software number: 2.31.401.5
Rollout date: 08.22.2012

This update can be installed to your phone over the air which includes several enhancements and bug fixes such as the following:

Android platform upgrade to version 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
System performance and stability enhancements

Improvements in memory and stability to enhance overall browsing experience

Connectivity enhancements

Improvements to WiFi connection strength and compatibility
Enhanced audio quality and connectivity when using Bluetooth

Internet browsing experience enhancements

Improved internet browsing experience with faster page loads and a smoother scrolling experience
Facebook Single Sign-on, enabling customers simplified access across applications and browsers

HTC Car user experience enhancements

Enhanced HTC Car UI and new music management features

User interface enhancements

Menu updates for older applications to match Ice Cream Sandwich menu style
Improved experience and increased space for handwriting input
Improved usability of phone through keypad and sizing enhancements
Improved wallpaper visualization when moving between screens

Music improvements

Improved user experience with Beats audio, including auto detect headset profile, and easy on/off switching.

New SDK support for developers

Expanded SDK support for developers including, a Media Link SDK and framework for video call apps

in there it doesn't actually mention anything about 3g/gsm signal improvements

Last edited:
Ah! Nice one twist3d0n3! thanks :)

A lot of supposedly nice improvements there!

Signal improvements is probably classed under "Connectivity enhancements"

For some people yes, for some no, I think only a couple (Scam and Richy) experience very bad signal.

Depends entirely of what the coverage is like to begin with, if it is already weak/poor then you will encounter problems.

I am with o2 who offer the best reception for my local areas so I don't have any issues with signal except it does seem to vary a fair bit.

OK. So I received an s4.

The phone feels lovely in the hand and the camera is wonderfully quick. It will be a great upgrade for mother on her desire HD.

I am glad I have not dropped my gs2 for this as though it is undoubtedly an upgrade, it does not feel like much of an upgrade. It certainly doesn't have the wow factor of HTC hero to an iPhone 4. Maybe that is what to expect for the forseeable future in phones.

Nice :cool: Did you get the newer black model regarding design? The top and side edges should be very smooth and the USB port bevelled, where as with the older design, a bit sharper edges and the USB port is flat.

Yup, I am no longer expecting much from smart phones now either, we have hit the point where the hardware is superb and overkill for pretty much every task now, the only things left that can be improved is the screens (sort of hit the point where they are superb though i.e. the X and GS 3 and can only increase the res.), battery life and camera (again the GS 3, S/X etc. cameras are already excellent, video recording could be much better though) and of course software.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom