*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Associate
Well My "S" has just arrived at home - shame I am at work.

Will post how I get on tomorrow.

Am coming from the original Desire so I am hoping for quite a reasonable upgrade. Will have to resist urge to damage case!!

Caporegime
I like how they called it an 'immediate fix', almost sounded like it's a software thing! :p

Indeed! :D :p

GSMArena battery tests are done, it did well, but nothing too special: http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-s-...-how-power-efficient-the-two-krait-cores-are/

Yeah nothing that special there but it still looks good, only the web browsing test dragged it down big time and the only other device which truly beats (annihilates might be a better word to use :p) it overall is the RAZR (to be expected though :p)

However, going by loads of user comments, the battery life seems to be a good bit better than the GS 2 etc. when it just comes to general/average usage etc. especially with raikiri's usage considering he has the screen set to 80% brightness :eek:

Decent enough review by tech radar:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-one-s-1075440/review

Last edited:
Soldato
one thing I will say is be careful taking off the cover to put the sim card in. My power button popped out when I did last night and it took me 10 minutes to find it, then another 10 to get it to stay in place again.

Soldato
re the battery so far.. 8h30 on battery, 2hr21 of screen time at about 40% brightness and battery level is now 45%

78% of my usage is on screen, 5% standby, 4% os, 4% phone idle, 3% internet etc.

only thing i did when getting the phone was a full charge.

Soldato
Yeah nothing that special there but it still looks good, only the web browsing test dragged it down big time and the only other device which truly beats (annihilates might be a better word to use :p) it overall is the RAZR (to be expected though :p)

Video decode performance seems much better than previous HTCs. Is it because they loop a video with lots of darks/blacks or HTC have greatly improved Xvid codec support? (No idea why they use that format) The One X result should give us a clue...
Oh and as ever, forget the GSMArena browser result. Their test is very flawed and the sense 4 browser is totally bugged. (Install Opera mobile or Chrome beta asap)

Caporegime
re the battery so far.. 8h30 on battery, 2hr21 of screen time at about 40% brightness and battery level is now 45%

78% of my usage is on screen, 5% standby, 4% os, 4% phone idle, 3% internet etc.

only thing i did when getting the phone was a full charge.

Let it go all the way to zero then recharge to 100% ;)

Should get much better battery life than what you currently are getting, it will improve each day within the next week (well it should :p) :)

xLUGM.png

To give you an idea of the battery life.

Screen is at about 80%, and I have been using it pretty much as normal. Few calls, texts, and pics, Web over wifi and 3g etc.

I did run the battery down to 0 before charging.

No idea, probably not that much.

Edit: 3h04 screen on time

Video decode performance seems much better than previous HTCs. Is it because they loop a video with lots of darks/blacks or HTC have greatly improved Xvid codec support? (No idea why they use that format) The One X result should give us a clue...
Oh and as ever, forget the GSMArena browser result. Their test is very flawed and the sense 4 browser is totally bugged. (Install Opera mobile or Chrome beta asap)

I have no idea :p but yeah it does seem better than previous HTC mobiles :)

The blacks etc. shouldn't play a part as to why the one S did well, as the galaxy S 2 is still behind along with the galaxy nexus (granted the res. will play a big part in power consumption as well).

Could be largely due to the 28nm chip as well, as it is more power efficient.

I generally don't put too much thought into expert reviews of battery life for phones as they haven't really got much relevance to proper/real world usage as is shown by all the comments from owners of the S and when you compare other mobile's "expert" reviews to general user comments as it seems to be the same for the X, a lot of review site are saying that the X battery life is pretty poor yet in the X thread here, it seems very impressive considering the screen and internals.

I actually rather liked the new sense version and the stock sense apps :p, however, after a week of use, I can see myself replacing the launcher with apex or go ex, browser with boat or chrome and the keyboard with swiftkey X :p :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I will be very surprised if you can get much more than 4hrs screen usage out of this at regular brightness and regular usage. There's nothing crazy special about krait cores and the 1650mah battery.

Caporegime
I reckon if raikiri dropped the brightness to about 35-50% (currently what my bro keeps his desire AMOLED at and the screen is still bright enough), he would have got past the 4 hour mark easily.

Man of Honour
It's a shame that AMOLED is so dire at web browsing, that really would impact the battery life quite heavily for me at least.

Caporegime
Very soon :p :D, definitely before the 18th of this month as that is when my current contract is up.

Want to go back onto o2 this time though but unfortunately there aren't any good deals for the S on o2 :( So going to head over to carphone warehouse within the next few days to see if they can get something sorted or match/better this deal:

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Basket/index.aspx?affiliate=affiliate_future&aff_id=35637

Also want to have one more play with it to be sure :p

Soldato
It's a shame that AMOLED is so dire at web browsing, that really would impact the battery life quite heavily for me at least.

yeah it's the white backgrounds. Only if all websites were AMOLED friendly like ocuk forums :)

There is an option in the browser for monochrome is you really need to conserve the battery

gsmarena_031.jpg

Soldato
^ B&W browser? The 'salmon night mode' days of the Desire were bad enough for me :p
Hang fire on the AMOLED/S4 disappointment! Wait for the One X battery life test first.

If the One X gets 6-7 hours on the browser loop test and 8 hours+ video playback. The AMOLED is utter pants, AH-IPS rulzz, HTC are matching Samsung for codec support and S4 firmware is too immature for prime time.

But if it gets around 4-5 hours in both the Sense 4 browser is a POS, they still suck at codec support, the AMOLED is half decent and both phones rock again! Yipee!!! :D

Soldato
yeah it's the white backgrounds. Only if all websites were AMOLED friendly like ocuk forums :)

There is an option in the browser for monochrome is you really need to conserve the battery

Browsering in black and white sucks. I can't get about 3 hours screen time and over 5 hours if on Wi-Fi on my Nexus. So I don't have a problem with the battery life, unless your a person always on the move unable to charge your phone.

Soldato
So I let the battery run down to zero last night, then went upstairs to bed, plugged it in and turned it on.
This morning I woke up and got ready for work as normal.. went to leave at 9:40am as usual... looked at the oven clock - actually it's 9:49. When I use automatic time my phone is now 9-10 mins behind :s

okay addendum to that.. reboot fixed it

Associate
Ok I have my "S" and is of the non-flaky variety :)

Absolutely mindblowing upgrade from the original Desire. Everything is lightning fast in comparison. Boots in seconds and then straight into whatever app you want. Photo storage (I have about 500 photos and videos) is instant whereas the Desire I had to wait for a pixelated preview. Multi tasking seems to work flawlessly with almost zero stutter in between; recently used apps screen is very handy.

Camera is very very good although the shutter speed is not as amazing as I hoped, still have to wait for the right moment or use the burst mode. Video capture is good and the ability to take stills has already proven useful.

I havn't had too much opportunity to play yet but I am very pleased with the upgrade - Also got a set of dr-dre headphones (buds) with it which was unexpected. Wonder what they are worth?

If you have a Desire you would be very happy to upgrade, the screen is better ( I am an average user), ICS is a big upgrade, and the phone itself is very very quick in comparison.

Soldato
I came from the desire as well and there's a few things I'm slowly getting used to...

No physical menu or back button (though that's ICS rather than specific the phone model, I guess there are good reasons for it)
power and volume buttons have switched sides (argh)
I have difficulty immediately working out which way up the phone is when taking it from pocket
Can't find the USB port in the dark (the finish around the port is a little scuffed already)
Easier to press the capacitive buttons by accident
The top edge is quite sharp

Nothing bad though really

Back
Top Bottom