*** The official HTC One S thread ***

I wonder
f there some way of using APN renaming to do it? Hmn this is ny mission to find out now. My phone is perfectly setup besides that. Can't be dealing with going into menus etc :P

Hmm, I think there might be, iirc there was one notification power toggle widget, which would use an APN switch or something, can't remember of the name though

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=apn&c=apps

Hey guys my contract is up on my phone (Desire HD) and I am looking to upgrade (as everyone is)

I currently pay £34PM (18 month) for 800 mins, unlim text and unlimited browsing data and 3GB download data (with T-mobile). I dont use anywhere close to those mins so can always cut them in half if need be.

Is there a better contract deal out there? Tmobile are looking to sell me a handset and keep the plan for £90 - £180 (for one s/one x) but I didn't really want to buy a handset as I have always had a free upgrade.

any help would be appreciated.

I presume you would still want to keep the unlimited data?

Here are 2 great deals, especially the 3 deal :eek: (however, they are 24 months)

http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobi...T-Mobile-21-(24mths)-Medium-Internet/13307133

http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/HTC/HTC-One-S/3/22-Ultimate-300-(24mths)/13554223

If you get good coverage with 3, go for it, unlimited data with their speeds (if you are in a good area that is :p) will be great ;)

Hmm, I think there might be, iirc there was one notification power toggle widget, which would use an APN switch or something, can't remember of the name though

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=apn&c=apps
Yeah I was reading up on those and someone made the very good point that infact all they do is rename the APN so it can't connect? I'd have thought that's actually worse for the battery in the end.. :confused:

Musty Pie, I had a similar deal with TM but was paying £26pm for 2 years. My contract finished and they simply couldn't offer me anything decent. I decided to buy the phone outright and go with Giff Gaff (£10pm goodybag). Over the course of 2yrs (for comparison) I'll be paying £23-24ishpm including the phone and GG goodybag, whereas the best TM would give me was a similar tariff, but paying £26pm and having to pay towards the phone.

In short, do the maths, you may be surprised :)

The screen on the S is great, the colours are superb, my whites are perfect whites (better than my dell U2311H), like extremely bright whites, no tinting of pink, yellow or blue at all on mine, well not that I can see of anyway.

Lets put it this way, I honestly don't find myself wishing for a better res. or type of screen ;)

However, I would like a bigger screen :p

Here are anandtech's thoughts on the screen:

What’s different, however, is how well HTC has controlled the color temperature and gamma compared to Motorola in the RAZR. As shown in the HCFR galleries below, gamma is pretty close to 2.2 until you get to the high end, and color temperature is pretty close to 6500K, except at the two darkest grey points. This is so much better than any other OEM calibration of an AMOLED panel I’ve taken a look at, which is rather humorous because the panel is undoubtably Samsung’s. HTC is also letting the panel go pretty bright, up past 350 nits, instead of clamping it way down around 200 (I’m looking at you, Galaxy Nexus) to save power. I also haven’t noticed blacks not being totally off on the One S like I have with some others. Of course, colors are still massively oversaturated if your source color space is sRGB.

I’ve griped about PenTile RGBG before on this panel and other SAMOLED displays, but I find the One S to be completely enjoyable in spite of having it thanks to two things. First, how well HTC has controlled the panel (no awful hues, weird white points, or dramatic shifts as you change brightness) - this is basically the best I’ve seen this particular panel, and until SGS3, the best I’ve seen AMOLED in general. Second, because HTC doesn’t appear to be applying any processing that applies sharpening (like Samsung’s mDNIe) to text.

How you feel about PenTile really is the final factor: it’s there, but I’ve slowly become accustomed to it after staring at it for so long. If you go back to the Nexus S days, I was one of the most outspoken critics because of how large those subpixels were. With small enough subpixels (below visual acuity), PenTile starts to make sense. In other news, HTC moving back to Samsung AMOLED for phones is an interesting move after supply issues forced HTC to SLCD with some earlier phones, here on the HTC One S however, it looks great.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5868/htc-one-s-review-international-and-tmobile/6

Awww, got an e-mail back from the rain forest seller and they told me that they only stock the older variants so can only offer me a refund :'(

I already purchased a case so need to find myself a Cheap htc one s with S4 chipset! seems all prices have sky rocketed as I paid £360 then like £20 in delivery total now :'(

Edit - thinking of getting the metalic grey unit thats £350 but will that have the fastest s4 chipset?

Two novice questions here, not sure if they're best in this thread of the Android Apps one:

1) Is there any other way of specifying sync other than "auto" or "manual"? I'd like to get my emails the second they arrive, but only update Facebook once an hour or so (for example), mainly to preserve battery. Is this possible?

2) Is there an app which regulates data transfer based on what connection I'm using? Happy for my phone to go nuts at home over wifi, but would rather it kept things to the bare minimum on 3G...

Cheers!

1. If you are using gmail, then emails are "pushed", not synced. So as soon as an email arrives it should be pushed to your phone as well.

If you are using some other email app then there should be settings for a certain sync period every 2 hours or something.

Not sure about facebook as I don't use it, but I think it can operate the same way or you can choose to manually sync it or automatically sync it every hour or whatever you want. Have a look through the app settings and then settings>accounts menu

2. Not quite what you're are looking for here........ Not even sure if there is something that can do what you described there.

But

Go to settings, click on "...more" then "usage" and you can set up a thing where the data connection will cut of and warn you once you hit a certain uploaded/downloaded allowance.

Well I'm a bit worried now. Maybe it's because my signal is gash at work but this really hasn't improved much. I was on wifi all the time and turned 3G data off (just 2G mode). What do you guys think? I'm almost thinking I should ask for a replacement from CPW before my 28 days are up! Maybe the batter is faulty?!

2012-08-06_22-13-10.png
2012-08-06_22-13-19.png
2012-08-06_22-13-28.png
2012-08-06_22-13-38.png
2012-08-08_21-13-51.png
2012-08-08_21-13-57.png
2012-08-08_21-14-32.png
2012-08-08_21-14-36.png

I don't actually remember my TMobile signal being this bad at work, so it could be Giff Gaff or the One S :(

As for apps running/sync'ing, I have the following:

Exchange Activesync
Facebook
Flickr
Google
Songkick

Hardly excessive really!

EDIT: I'm trying to go today without being on wifi unless i'm actually browsing. Will see if this helps..

Can you post a screenshot of the "processes" from BBS, just press where it says "other" and you have loads more stuff.

I do think that the weak wifi signal is playing a part.

Also noticed that it says time without signal 6% and as you said there signal being weak at work (did you take those screenshots somewhere else cause you're getting full bars :p). If you have got weak signal then that won't help matters at all, probably one of the biggest killers having an unreliable/weak signal. Could just be the S, don't worry too much about this yet, as the next update should hopefully improve/fix problems.....

Also when a charge is complete as in when the light just went green don't unplug straight away, let it continue to charge for another 1 hour or so especially if you're charging from a USB socket (perhaps longer on the USB connection). I don't think it is really "fully" charged as soon as it says it is as many times I have unplugged it before and the battery life wasn't as good as a proper full charge, talking about sometimes being a difference in 1 hour on screen time.

Yep those were taken at home when my battery was drained. Signal there is fine. What makes you say my wifi signal is bad? I thought it was the network signal causing me problems.

Also, funny you should say about leaving it charging after the light goes green -- I'm currently charging overnight so it's probably overcharging by about 4-5hrs (unless I wake up in the middle of the night and unplug it)! Not ideal I know but it never did any harm to my Desire battery.. hmn.

This is interesting, is that normal for Dolphin? I never exit it properly, didn't think I needed to?

2012-08-09_11-40-31.png
2012-08-09_11-43-38.png

That's just the top two 'screens' of processes, there's about 3 more but I guess these show the important ones..

Because it has pretty much no bars of strength at all.................... :p

It could be both (definitely a weak network signal is one of the main factors), having a weak wifi signal isn't as bad as a weak signal strength for voice reception/mobile data, but will still harm it.

Yeah I do the same, nothing to worry about regarding that :) Only use the dock connected to the USB socket on my PC whenever I am giving it just a quick boost in charge from like 50 to 70 or something.

Yup, that is normal enough, as said, browsing is one of the biggest killers especially on AMOLED based screens. I imagine that dolphin might be a bit heavier in resources though?

I use quick ICS browser:

fHy5v.png
That is with about 25-30 minutes activity (can find this out by clicking on the browser/dolphin in the battery chart)

The "tpd" process is very high, I have no idea what exactly this is still, it is one of the things under android system/OS. Sometimes mine is that high and other times not as high, when it is that high, I restart the mobile :p Whenever I have below average battery life it is due to that! :mad:

Don't think it will really make a difference if you exit or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom