***The Official HTC One Thread***

Sorry but that's a load of rubbish! :p
Screen/viewing angles comparison to other mobiles:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39951866&postcount=3797

Xperia Z looking good! :p

Xperia Z is a shambles! It'd be okay if it was like that only at that angle, but it starts looking 'white' at a slight angle!

I take on board all comments about the camera, but the fact is at present the pictures aren't particularly great overall - notably worse than the current gen phones. Hugely disappointing. :(

We can all hope it 'should' get better, but until it does... (And this can't fix the cropping issue)

Xperia Z is a shambles! It'd be okay if it was like that only at that angle, but it starts looking 'white' at a slight angle!

I take on board all comments about the camera, but the fact is at present the pictures aren't particularly great overall - notably worse than the current gen phones. Hugely disappointing. :(

We can all hope it 'should' get better, but until it does... (And this can't fix the cropping issue)

how dare you? experts say its the best.. who are you to have an opinion? ;)

oh i cba with you nexus.. you seem to read too much into my posts and dream of some random things i've never said :)

Whatever you say..... :)

Yeah it doesn't mean much at all :p but quite a lot of people (thousands) were voting in the polls so I think it is quite a good indication that the device might be a fair bit more popular than what we all originally thought, I was expecting the GS 4 to win but was surprised! It does seem like the htc one is the more preferred phone "overall" from reading around the forums, a lot of people are disappointed with the gs 4 as they seem to view it much like the iphone 4s, however, not sure what else Samsung could have done :confused: Aside from the design & touchwiz UI.

Well actually the software update or/and final "one" did improve the cropping quality :p

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_software_update_improves_camera_performance-news-5759.php

Although it will never beat the higher MP phones when it comes to cropping.

:confused:

I have said that is one of the advantages of higher MP many times before.... along with the only other advantages of higher MP

- viewing photos on a very high res. monitor
- printing photos out on large paper

Majority of people don't have ridiculously high resolution monitors, most people don't print photos on "large" paper.

Needless to say, better low light performance is far more useful for the vast majority of people, who ultimately take a dodgy photo, don't do anything to it apart from apply an instagram filter that kills the quality anyway, and uploads it to facebook.

For the person who reckons they crop almost all their pictures they take on their phone... you've either got FAR too much time on your hands or don't take any pictures.

Majority of people don't have ridiculously high resolution monitors, most people don't print photos on "large" paper.

Needless to say, better low light performance is far more useful for the vast majority of people, who ultimately take a dodgy photo, don't do anything to it apart from apply an instagram filter that kills the quality anyway, and uploads it to facebook.

For the person who reckons they crop almost all their pictures they take on their phone... you've either got FAR too much time on your hands or don't take any pictures.

No-one said they crop "all" their pictures, that's just you exaggerating.

ZOMG... China are getting a Dual-SIM version with MicroSD slot! http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/htc-one-802w-china-microsd/

HTC One 802w for China spotted with removable cover, dual SIM slots and microSD slot

By Richard Lai posted Apr 3rd, 2013 at 2:58 AM 147

Much like how three (or four) of the major US carriers will be getting the HTC One, China's three carriers will also be receiving the same treatment, according to the country's official device approval database. The three flavors are known as 802w, 802t and 802d, each heading to China Unicom (WCDMA), China Mobile (TD-SCDMA) and China Telecom (CDMA), respectively. For the record, the European version we have is 801n, so perhaps the third digit represents the number of SIM slots featured on the device.

This is certainly the case for the 802w. Earlier today, a Sina Weibo user posted the above photo of said phone with its back cover -- between the two plastic lines -- removed, thus exposing not only its two SIM card slots but also a microSD slot just below the camera. It's worth noting that the European version of the One doesn't come with a removable back cover, let alone a secondary SIM slot or a microSD slot; but at least it has LTE, right? Since Sina Weibo requires you to login before letting you see the post, we've got the full picture for you after the break.

:eek:

Is the 64GB version available to buy yet? I'm thinking about selling my Note II and moving away from Samsung and this seems to be the best alternative. Will hopefully get a look at one this weekend.

I would say he was also realistically exaggerating with 90% to prove his point about people using cropping. Either way, summary is: people like to crop sometimes.

But alas, the a far greater % of people don't crop, and simply upload low-resolution photos to sites like instagram, facebook, flickr and the like.

Hence why it's sensible to tailor features to benefit the most amount of users.

But alas, the a far greater % of people don't crop, and simply upload low-resolution photos to sites like instagram, facebook, flickr and the like.

Hence why it's sensible to tailor features to benefit the most amount of users.

you see i would agree with you.. but then the camera produces turd-ish pictures so it has low res and average quality that hardly rivals last years flagships and even the phones from HTC it self.

I admit it is annoying not having the extra pixels to work with when cropping images, I have done it to a few photos too, however, not to the extreme amounts so that the image will look bad with the one camera.

As for high res. monitor, I can't see myself going any higher than 2560 x 1440 any time soon i.e. at least 3+ years by which time I will have a better phone with a far better camera and also higher MP no doubt.

4k TVs are going to cost an absolute fortune so will be stuck with 1080P TV's for quite a while and again by the time I do get one i.e. when they are a sensible price, I am sure that I, as well as pretty much everyone else will have a much better phone with loads of MP by then too.

I have never ever printed any photos out, oh wait, I have but on A4 paper and they have been resized to be even smaller...... quite frankly if you are planning to be printing photos onto large paper then you should be using proper camera equipment not a phone camera.

I imagine it will be the same for at the very least 70% of the consumers.

At the end of the day, if you do lots of cropping and have the above then MP will be important, in my case it isn't "that" important, I much rather have the larger pixels for the clearer photos with very little noise that capture a lot more light and thus will be better in low light/night conditions and overall just have better image quality (the amount of light is the most important factor when it comes to photography and shooting films etc.), I take a lot of photos indoors these days and often I don't bother with taking any photos in dark indoor conditions due to the image being pretty poor in terms of noise, yes you have flash, but flash only works well depending on the distance that you take the photo and the object that you are "shooting"

The camera will improve because:

- the ISO problem, this is most evident in the bright conditions (which I posted before with photos and articles demonstrating my point)
- this is very new hardware for HTC and so they will have to perfect the software i.e.

their sharpening algorithm is to aggressive and has to be set to -2 or -1 as shown by the photos on XDA.

Shutter speed is too fast especially for dark/low light conditions, the quicker the shutter the less light that gets to the sensor, however, it means that you won't have any blur in objects moving, don't need a steady hand, the lumia 920 does better in this area due to a much longer shutter speed so more light gets in, however, you then have blur in objects moving and you need to have a very steady hand

HTC need to find the right setting to achieve the best of both.

Light metering needs to be tweaked, doubt this will change since this has always been a problem with HTC phones especially in the video recording area.

Nokia didn't get it right first time as I have posted before with many links to before and after photos.

- issues with the hardware due to QC or whatever i.e. lens alignment issue could still be a problem for all we know

I expect that they will also improve the other niggles such as the audio recording not being loud enough with quieter conditions, much like the GS 3 when it first came out, couldn't hear anything practically.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom