***The Official HTC One Thread***

True, but then you could say the same for every phone :p, you could go and pick loads of bad photos from the one S/X, GS 3, iphone 5 etc. especially when it comes to low light/night photos.

Plus we still have the ISO problem, which is a big reason why a lot of shots look poor in bright/outdoor conditions. Update should be out this month to fix that.

As Brain said, the camera tech. is very new for a phone, especially to HTC (only two phones have OIS, this and the lumia 920), so they have to fine tune it (I think they need to have a longer shutter speed or at least give you the option to choose as well as working on the sharpening process and light metering) to get the best out of it. Just like every new tech device generally e.g. new GPU's and drivers, they always suck when they first come out but after a month or two you get new drivers which can give up to 15% more performance or even more, depending on the games.

Nokia are still optimising the camera on the 920 (isn't there supposedly some big new update coming out that is going to make the camera even better?) and pretty much every other company improves the camera with new updates i.e. htc with the one S/X and Samsung with the GS 3 etc.

Personally I feel that HTC have taken the right step and if the photos in bright conditions of landscapes/building or whatever don't improve they still have a very good camera "overall" i.e. zoe and other features, video recording in terms of smoothness and audio recording etc., very large FOV (especially compared to the GS4), smaller photos in size, great macro shots (I would say better than my one S in this area, need to see more photos though) and performs really well in low light/night conditions.

Nokia are still optimising the camera on the 920 (isn't there supposedly some big new update coming out that is going to make the camera even better?)

I believe there has already been an update for the Lumia 920 camera, (there might be another one due). A lot of the review sites were saying bad things about the 920 camera when the phone was first released but that seems to have stopped now, but the camera seem equally good now as when i First got it in December.

So I picked up a few random things and took them on a nice sunny day behind 75% shut curtains click for full res:

One

One X

One

One X

One

One X

One

One X

Might pop outside and take some too :)

Last edited:
@Ade74

Yeah there was a huge update not long after release that dramatically improved the quality;

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-improves-lumia-920-camera-comparison
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/17/lumia-920-camera-fix/

review sites and users slated the lumia 920 camera before that update.

And just looking through the lumia 920 thread, it appears that the update I was talking about, came out not too long ago:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24068726&highlight=camera#post24068726

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23949739&highlight=camera#post23949739

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23884922&highlight=camera#post23884922

EDIT:

Thanks skyfall :)

Looks like a decent improvement over the X in those conditions.

BTW link to keyboard please! :D

Last edited:
How many email accounts do you have synced and the frequency of emails you receive?

reason i ask is i have multiple email accounts and one of them receives emails very frequently due to forum notifications.

Push notifications won't consume much battery at all. Those screens show very little screen on time though, which would equate to that battery time of 2 days+.

Actually use the phone properly and that time will drop quickly.

Are people really sending phones back because they can get a sliver of thin paper behind the speaker grill?

:confused:

Just for comparison my GF just bought an iPhone 5 yesterday, comparing it to the One I have makes me even less sure about the tiny gap or two I have (and the slightly uneven edge on the edge of the glass). The iPhone has none of the problems... Why should the One have them?

The biggest problem with the one's camera is the white balance, I was taking a few shots last night and it was off... Judge for yourself:

One

One X

One

One x

One

One X

One

One X

One

One X

One

One X

The One's camera has a wider angle lens too, much better for most shots.

Last edited:
One looks better overall imo. The X has finer detail in some shots. What setting are you using for the sharpness on the one?

I would be more than happy with those results.

Once the ISO problem is sorted we should be seeing even clearer photos.

I imagine that the one x is producing the "correct" colours as you would see in "real life"?

Last edited:
Sorry meant the one X.

The one does look very yellow when it comes to the buildings :/

EDIT:

hmm looking at the photos again, I would actually say:

One wins the first two photos

One X wins 3rd, 4th and 5th photos (main reason, the colours)

One wins the last photo

Last edited:
Push notifications won't consume much battery at all. Those screens show very little screen on time though, which would equate to that battery time of 2 days+.

Actually use the phone properly and that time will drop quickly.

u sure? if i turn off my 3g and wifi off for a couple of hours and its fully charge at 100%, when i re enable it to sync and recieve 20+ messages, the battery would go down by maybe 5% instantly.

OK I just reviewed those images on the phone itself and my Nexus 10 and the colour balance seems a lot better... Not sure why they look exceptionally yellow on my PC monitor.

It is still off though.

I like the look of those building pictures from the One, more so than the One X. Which is good considering it's outdoors!

Back
Top Bottom