***The Official HTC One Thread***

Potential defects to look out for.

I'm probably going to buy it in a bricks & mortar shop so I can give it a bit of a look over before taking it home and then a further good using before I root it.

Screen
  • Dead pixels
  • Backlight bleed
  • No patchiness on totally white screen
  • No patchiness on totally black screen

Case/Body
  • Milling defects, especially around ports
  • Gaps between speaker grill and main body
  • Adhesive leaking out between the main body and the speaker grill
  • Slight overhang on corners (any corner) of the phone.
  • Top/Bottom of the screen not flush with the aluminium.

Camera
  • Sides of images not in focus/blurry

Other
  • Soft keys not responsive

Have i missed anything?

EDIT\ Updated with replies from below - Thank you

Last edited:
Potential defects to look out for.

I'm probably going to buy it in a bricks & mortar shop so I can give it a bit of a look over before taking it home and then a further good using before I root it.

Screen
  • Dead pixels
  • Backlight bleed
  • No patchiness on totally white screen
  • No patchiness on totally black screen

Case/Body
  • Milling defects, especially around ports
  • Gaps between speaker grill and main body

Camera
  • Sides of images not in focus/blurry

Other
  • Soft keys not responsive

Have i missed anything?

Good list but add the following:

Body

Slight overhang on corners (any corner) of the phone.

Screen

The bottom of the screen where it meets the speaker's aluminium panel is flush with the aluminium.

The top is not.

It's barely noticeable unless you run your fingers over the top of the glass.

I'd wait a while until May at the very least, then there should be plenty of supply and HTC would've sorted out their manufacturing process.

Be very careful about ordering the black one. It picks up dust and grease very very easily. Unless you dont mind cleaning the phone all the time. If you pick up any dings or scratches the silver underneath might show.

It looks damn good though!

HTC released some disastrous figures today, earnings 92% down, with the One and its manufacturing and component sourcing problems blamed, iirc profits for q1 of $3m on 1.4B t/o at the same time last year they made 150× profit on double the t/o so profit is roughly one 75th of what was expected, so I reckon wait to see how the market and Taiwanese govt react, after last years results if HTC doesn't see a massive upturn they could go bust, I'm not saying they will but it's very possible, I guess they're hoping for a war in Korea.:(

The q2 and q3 financial results will be the main deciders as to what will happen. HTC one was only on the market in 3 countries for q1 apparently and not exactly much stock to go around.

The HTC one isn't even really on the market now, that should change sometime this month though.... so there is still a very good chance that their profits could increase by a substantial amount (especially since they are putting some serious effort into the marketing/advertising area now)

They also have the HTC first phone, which could do quite well.....

Some good camera comparisons (including GS 4), one is looking good overall:

http://android.pandaapp.com/news/04...ne_vs_galaxy_s_vs_xperia_z.shtml#.UWK3XcqbUVS

The q2 and q3 financial results will be the main deciders as to what will happen. HTC one was only on the market in 3 countries for q1 apparently and not exactly much stock to go around.

The HTC one isn't even really on the market now, that should change sometime this month though.... so there is still a very good chance that their profits could increase by a substantial amount (especially since they are putting some serious effort into the marketing/advertising area now)

They also have the HTC first phone, which could do quite well.....

Some good camera comparisons (including GS 4), one is looking good overall:

http://android.pandaapp.com/news/04...ne_vs_galaxy_s_vs_xperia_z.shtml#.UWK3XcqbUVS

looking at that review it kinda looks like they forgot to enable the night mode on both s4/xz :confused:

@Nexus, yup I agree, though they had expected to have the sales by now hense blaming sourcing and production delays, now sourcing is probably an unwillingness from suppliers to give credit to htc and production delays probably means QC issues, going by the experiences of those who've purchased the One and previous reports of cash shortage, the problem isn't so much the day to day business as a return on investment.

Guessing that their institutional and local shareholders won't pull the plug so worry not HTC fans.

I see a dive to the sub £250 android device, smaller halfway decent phones and windows rather than cease trading, followed by a resurgence after a few years, fingers crossed. IMHO there' as a huge gap in the decent low end android market spending £200 on a phone is ridiculous to many even on these boards.

I guess I must be about the only person who got a black HTC One and is very happy with it. It has a great screen, not had any problems with key response, the screen fits well all round and is perfect, its got fantastic day to day battery life, speakers are brilliant and the general feel of it is on par with iPhones I've owned.

It's not a fault that I've seen mentioned in relation to the HTC One but it's now something I'd always check with any new screen.

With a totally black screen there should be no lighter patches, something like this:

71Bpjfd.jpg.png

Similarly a white screen should have no darker patches.

I bought my sister a phone recently and the screen, when black, had brighter patches. I didn't bother her but it would drive me crazy.

Last edited:
I guess I must be about the only person who got a black HTC One and is very happy with it. It has a great screen, not had any problems with key response, the screen fits well all round and is perfect, its got fantastic day to day battery life, speakers are brilliant and the general feel of it is on par with iPhones I've owned.

Make that two of us ... my black One is doing just fine! Really pleased with it :) :o

Got my white and silver one yesterday and I have to say im blown away by it. Gorgeous bit of kit and not one fault on mine (so far touch wood anyway).

Was always saying that I probably wouldn't get another HTC after my One X as I just fancied a change but after the HTC rep brought a ONE in a couple of weeks back I just had to have it.

Honestly guys if your thinking of getting this phone just do it, you wont be disappointed. This is coming from a guy who because of my job I get to play with all the newest phones (the only one coming out that I haven't got my hands on yet is the Galaxy S4/Galaxy S3 S or whatever you want to call it) This is by far the best phone out in my opinion and it just marries together great industrial design, amazing tech and by far the nicest looking screen/body going.

Back
Top Bottom