***The Official HTC One Thread***

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;24123369 said:
Another question - when I drag down my notification bar on my HTC Sensation, I can tap the quick settings tab for easy access to enable/disable mobile network, wifi hotspot and Bluetooth.

Can the One do this?

Rather than a quick settings tab there is the settings tab at the top right when you drag down the notification bar. This takes you straight to the settings for everything so its just as quick as before.

Associate
This is what HTC needed, some free and good publicity, just like what happened with apple VS Samsung in the recent years and all those silly court cases, one of the main reasons why the galaxy range are so big/popular today imo.

It really isn't :p they've quite simply made good phones. I don't think it will have a gigantic impact or necessarily push people away from Samsung because companies do troll each other, especially in American advertisements. Just shows you really do have to watch what you read online and not take everything as gospel.

Caporegime
I personally think it did because the amount of publicity it got was unbelievable, even the BBC covered it on the news (live TV)?! :eek: Was like an article on it every day or two on every site, not just tech/android sites. not to mention discussed on every forum.

It made more people/average joes aware of the galaxy range and the way it was reported was making them look like the victims of it and apple as the bad guys (which is true imo :p, they came across as whiny little gits "oh but it is rectangle shape" etc.), average joes who think the iphone is amazing etc. and no phone will compete will be thinking "oh, must check this galaxy phone out if apple are suing them etc." Plus people would look at the phones and see that they are pretty similar, so why pay more for something that looks the same to them or does actually come across as being better.

And then most of my friends who generally don't have a clue about this stuff were even talking about it.

IIRC, did some shop/network not say that the GS 2 sales increased after/during all the publicity regarding the court cases? Will try to find the links again.

Personally I think it is pathetic of companies to do things like that, no problems with all the ads that take wee digs at each other as they are funny/good but actually paying people outside the company to trash the competition and promote their products via forums etc. is just a cheap and dirty tactic imo, from reading around supposedly Samsung are pretty guilty of doing this in the recent years and personally it puts me of their devices even more now (company support etc. is very important to me :o, few reasons why I would never buy an ASUS product, whereas with GB and MSI, they are always the first two that I would look at it)

Could understand it from the likes of smaller companies i.e. ZTE etc. but a world wide well known company that is already highly rated in most of their devices doing this...... it really does come across like they are afraid of the competition and have lack of confidence in their products, just like the way they give higher sales commissions/special gifts to network shops/sales people in order to push their devices instead of other companies devices :(

Far too many bias reviewers/forums these days, hard to tell who is and isn't bias, only reviews I trust now are anandtech (Brian might come across as HTC fan [he does very much appreciate a good design and metal chassis though] but it doesn't stop him from looking/analysing things subjectively and he is very positive about the Samsung phones too unlike other sites that will favour one and more or less trash the other), android central. Phonearena seems to change their minds a lot and gsmarena are too bias towards apple and Samsung imo.

EDIT:

Sorry, wasn't for the GS 2, but the GS 3 sales increased:

http://blazingminds.co.uk/of-galaxy-s-iii-apples-victory/

http://news.techeye.net/mobile/apple-increases-samsung-galaxy-sales

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/meanwhile_galaxy_sales_go_supernova_gmqTVgO4avVcyWzpr6rLQO

http://www.androidauthority.com/gal...nnouncement-apple-1-billion-court-win-119605/

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally think it did because the amount of publicity it got was unbelievable, even the BBC covered it on the news (live TV)?! :eek: Was like an article on it every day or two on every site, not just tech/android sites. not to mention discussed on every forum.

It made more people/average joes aware of the galaxy range and the way it was reported was making them look like the victims of it and apple as the bad guys (which is true imo :p, they came across as whiny little gits "oh but it is rectangle shape" etc.), average joes who think the iphone is amazing etc. and no phone will compete will be thinking "oh, must check this galaxy phone out if apple are suing them etc." Plus people would look at the phones and see that they are pretty similar, so why pay more for something that looks the same to them or does actually come across as being better.

And then most of my friends who generally don't have a clue about this stuff were even talking about it.

IIRC, did some shop/network not say that the GS 2 sales increased after/during all the publicity regarding the court cases? Will try to find the links again.

Personally I think it is pathetic of companies to do things like that, no problems with all the ads that take wee digs at each other as they are funny/good but actually paying people outside the company to trash the competition and promote their products via forums etc. is just a cheap and dirty tactic imo, from reading around supposedly Samsung are pretty guilty of doing this in the recent years and personally it puts me of their devices even more now (company support etc. is very important to me :o, few reasons why I would never buy an ASUS product, whereas with GB and MSI, they are always the first two that I would look at it)

Could understand it from the likes of smaller companies i.e. ZTE etc. but a world wide well known company that is already highly rated in most of their devices doing this...... it really does come across like they are afraid of the competition and have lack of confidence in their products, just like the way they give higher sales commissions/special gifts to network shops/sales people in order to push their products instead of other products :(

Far too many bias reviewers/forums these days, hard to tell who is and isn't bias, only reviews I trust now are anandtech (Brian might come across as HTC fan [he does very much appreciate a good design and metal chassis though] but it doesn't stop him from looking/analysing things subjectively and he is very positive about the Samsung phones too unlike other sites that will favour one and more or less trash the other), android central. Phonearena seems to change their minds a lot and gsmarena are too bias towards apple and Samsung imo.

EDIT:

Sorry, wasn't for the GS 2, but the GS 3 sales increased:

http://blazingminds.co.uk/of-galaxy-s-iii-apples-victory/

http://news.techeye.net/mobile/apple-increases-samsung-galaxy-sales

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/meanwhile_galaxy_sales_go_supernova_gmqTVgO4avVcyWzpr6rLQO

http://www.androidauthority.com/gal...nnouncement-apple-1-billion-court-win-119605/

bias = opinion

There's pretty much no way of being objective in everybody's opinion, I personally like the verge but everyone gives them a load of grief over bias, generally an anti microsoft or pro apple bias.

I'm pretty sure an accusation of bias is pretty much the same as saying you disagree without attributing that disagreement to a fact rather than your own opinion.. it must be bias because it's not in line with what i believe to be the truth etc.

Truth of it is that there's almost nothing to separate the recent crop of high end android phones, frankly there's not much to separate high end android and recent iphones in everyday usage. Even more than that, if you have an S3 or One X I doubt there's any real reason to upgrade other than fun which is entirely acceptable.

I think phones are getting close to current CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD products, almost anything in the mid to high will be enough for the vast majority of the population with a performance difference only really measurable with synthetic benchmarks and the rest is entirely personal opinion such as the material finish betweem the One and the S4, S3, One X, Lumias etc etc, the rest is just a p***ing contest which I'm perfectly happy to be the beneficiary of but we're way out of the world of right vs wrong answer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Very true.

But you can often spot when "bias" views becomes more than just an opinion i.e. check out phonearenas camera comparisons (two articles) and then gsmarena's reviews, the way the articles are written and just how they write about each device is so different and you have a look at previous articles etc. it can lead you to think that they are either paid by companies to promote their device and/or trash the opposition (sadly a common occurrence in the reviewing industry these days especially the games department :() or they genuinely do just think that said phone is much better.

I think review sites could be a lot more objective in a number of areas, especially in the design and software areas.

Especially when it comes to the HTC one camera, far too many reviews sites have slated the camera mainly because of the outside landscape shots and not having detail when zoomed in/cropped, however, they fail to see/ignore the other advantages of the camera over other android phones i.e. low/dark conditions, macro shots, shutter speed (big advantage for moving objects), zoe and other features, video & audio recording, OIS as well as a very large FOV amongst other wee things.

Mostly agree with the last part there, it really comes down to what is more important to the end user these days i.e. SD slot, removable battery versus front stereo speakers and aluminium body VS water & dust resistance etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes but even that stuff is entirely down to the user preference. For example I personally prefer samsungs plastic construction to aluminium because its much harder to damage and I hate something I use constantly feeling like I'm going to scratch, dent or devalue it just by using it.

To be honest it would be quite easy to say you're very htc and specifically htc one s biased but that's fine, you clearly love the bones of that phone which is great it's just that it's your opinion, I pretty much hated the thing!

Caporegime
True again, I just posted that as an example of how it might down to what a user might deem important as performance (although going by the comments in the GS 4 thread regarding no exynos being released here [at least for now anyway], this still seems to be very important to some, at least on here, which I suppose is to be expected given the type of forum we are on :p), screen, RAM etc. are no longer really that important, as I said before I am not that bothered about the materials but many people would have loved for the GS 4 to have had a metal body.

Yup, I do prefer HTC over other companies but if their devices are crap (you will/might have seen me posting a lot of hate for the sensation as that was destroyed by the gS 2 overall :p) or they have done something that I hate i.e. with the one, the HTC logo and button arrangement annoys me to no end amongst silly software decisions like the battery graph layout, then I won't defend those areas/device in that area. The only area, which I have been doing a lot of defending on the one, is the camera hardware and results and now that we are seeing more and more results from more users and the later review sites which are running the latest software as well as not being pre-production the camera is turning out to be very strong overall.

My point is, a lot of review sites generally only look at what they deem to be important or they just avoid the good areas or only look at the good areas where said device performs better than the other device and as a result, don't cover what other people might find more important. If it is just a standard user opinion/post then fair enough, but from highly rated review sites, they should try to be a bit more "fair" and cover all important areas and look at things from a 3rd person view. They can give their "opinion" at the end/conclusion.

Even with my one S review (which I like to think that I tried to cover every area), I listed/mentioned quite a few cons (that not even other review sites picked up on/mentioned), which don't bother me i.e. SD slot and non removable battery but they might bother other people so I included them anyway. The main cons review sites seemed to have with the S was display res. (again a lot of them just look at the basics of a screen i.e. res. but not the actual quality overall and calibration etc. of the display, which was the best overall for a SAMOLED panel back then, even better than the GS 3 SAMOLED screen, of course people might prefer the calibration of the GS 3 SAMOLED panel, I am just talking about it from an objective view point) and storage.

That is the main reason why I like Brian's reviews for anandtech, where another site like gsmarena or phonearena etc. would just say this device sucks in this area more or less with no explanation as to why said company might have gone with that decision, he looks at the picture overall and forms an explanation/detailed look as to why this is good and bad at the same time i.e. the charging rate/speed of the HTC one.

I did do a fair bit of defending regarding the one S here at the time of release as a lot people were righting it of straight away due to the screen res. and "only" having a dual core CPU (despite actually being better overall compared to the quad CPU's, especially tegra 3), however, the device was in the same league as the "big boys" (this isn't just based on what I think, but many other users [who had owned the GS 3, one X/XL etc. as well] and review sites too, it was very much the under dog for last year, again of course there will be people like yourself who would have hated it compared to another device)

Last edited:
Soldato
Random question: Is anyone using ChompSMS on their HO? It ran fine on my Xperia Z but it's taking 4-5 seconds to open a conversation, and just feels laggy. There's a note on their FAQ about unchecking something in the native app settings, which I already did, and not to run a live wallpaper, which I'm not, and it's still the same.

Anyone else having this issue?

Man of Honour
(you will/might have seen me posting a lot of hate for the sensation as that was destroyed by the gS 2 overall :p)

Unjustified hate, the Sensation was a great phone - other than my Nokia N95 8Gb, never have I kept a phone as my primary device for so long. Really wonderful aluminium casing compared with the - guess what - cheap plastic Galaxy ;)

Permabanned
Still a few things im struggling to find on android, the most annoying being the screen doesn't illumnate when i get a message, cant see a setting for this, can it be done?

Second is podcasts, is there a decent podcast app?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24126053 said:
Unjustified hate, the Sensation was a great phone - other than my Nokia N95 8Gb, never have I kept a phone as my primary device for so long. Really wonderful aluminium casing compared with the - guess what - cheap plastic Galaxy ;)

It's a shame they ruined the Sensation with a cheap crappy screen ;)

Permabanned
Still a few things im struggling to find on android, the most annoying being the screen doesn't illumnate when i get a message, cant see a setting for this, can it be done?

Second is podcasts, is there a decent podcast app?

I use Doggcatcher for podcasts and it is excellent.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom