***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24125134 said:
A shame, I liked that.

Whats the deal with the Media Link some places are giving away? Is it included with all launch handsets?

This annoyed me to as I loved the feature, but found an app that replicates it perfectly - power toggles was the best one.

screenshot2013041613515.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wow, that news has really taken of :eek: Most of the big sites are reporting about it, even the BBC have an article about it as well now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22166606

PC advisor have posted some more info. on it:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/tec...sung-for-defaming-htc-on-local-online-forums/

The topics covered included a user complaining that his girlfriend's HTC One X phone was constantly crashing, and how Samsung's Galaxy Note phone was superior to HTC's Sensation XL handset.

Samsung said it has as yet to receive a notice from Taiwan's FTC on the investigation. But the "unfortunate incident" did occur, the company admitted.

"Samsung Electronics Taiwan (SET) has ceased all marketing activities that involve the posting of anonymous comments," it said on Tuesday in a statement. The company adheres to "transparent and honest communications with consumers," and is working to prevent the problem from occurring again.

HTC, however, said in a statement it won't rule out "taking appropriate action" to protect the company and its consumers. Taiwan is HTC's home market.

And then something slightly different, which I just came across:

Foxconn, TSMC mum on Samsung's 'Kill Taiwan' plan

Caporegime
Indeed :( TBH I can't say that I am "surprised" though.....

As said earlier, I don't have a problem with the companies taking digs at each other via their own ads and marketing (which are actually good/fun) but paying people outside the company to "trash" the opposition online is taking it too far and a very dirty/cheap tactic, especially when done by a world wide known company that are already very highly rated.

I really think this will have a backlash on Samsung in some ways now and help/favour HTC as it comes across "to me" that Samsung don't have any confidence/faith in their own device and feel that HTC have presented a "better" device, which will/might appeal to more people than the GS 4 (obviously it isn't "better" by fact, just "different"), therefore will rely on "force" to bring their opposition down, much like the Apple VS Samsung battle but look at how that all turned out in the end....

This really is HTC's year to get back on top, they have put so much more effort into marketing (good ads and loads of them, public awareness ads with booths showing the phone of in every mall across the USA, stands with the htc one at football stadiums, their own show etc.) and have been more innovative this year imo (the zero gap body with the built in antenna bands, the camera, the speakers, software features etc.) and as a result, pretty much every review and user is rating this device extremely highly (some sites are even saying it is the galaxy/iphone killer) and along with all this news coming to light, they have never been in a better position to actually make Samsung "work" for their money.

All that needs to happen now is for Samsung to delay the GS 4 and/or for them to have serious build/QC issues! :p

EDIT;

And of course they will need to have better "bribes" for the sales people/network shops than Samsung :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Lets be honest the HTC have released in my eyes the best Android phone to date and that includes the GS4 coming out, they got everything right with it and they are obviously worried if the reports are true.

Soldato
Indeed :( TBH I can't say that I am "surprised" though.....

As said earlier, I don't have a problem with the companies taking digs at each other via their own ads and marketing (which are actually good/fun) but paying people outside the company to "trash" the opposition online is taking it too far and a very dirty/cheap tactic, especially when done by a world wide known company that are already very highly rated.

I really think this will have a backlash on Samsung in some ways now and help/favour HTC as it comes across "to me" that Samsung don't have any confidence/faith in their own device and feel that HTC have presented a "better" device, which will/might appeal to more people than the GS 4 (obviously it isn't "better" by fact, just "different"), therefore will rely on "force" to bring their opposition down, much like the Apple VS Samsung battle but look at how that all turned out in the end....

This really is HTC's year to get back on top, they have put so much more effort into marketing (good ads and loads of them, public awareness ads with booths showing the phone of in every mall across the USA, stands with the htc one at football stadiums, their own show etc.) and have been more innovative this year (the zero gap body with the built in antenna bands, the camera, the speakers, software features etc.) and as a result, pretty much every review and user is rating this device extremely highly (some sites are even saying it is the galaxy/iphone killer) and along with all this news coming to light, they have never been in a better position to actually make Samsung "work" for their money.

All that needs to happen now is for Samsung to delay the GS 4 and/or for them to have serious build/QC issues! :p

EDIT;

And of course they will need to have better "bribes" for the sales people/network shops than Samsung :p

Couldn't agree with you more. This tactic has brought Samsung down in my eyes, it is very cheap and underhanded. Aren't they content with being the number 1 Android OEM? They are also the only ones who can stand up to the likes of the mighty Apple.

Yes there will be some sort of backlash against Samsung by consumers who will decide to vote with their pockets and don't take too kindly to this sort of sabotage in the mobile industry. Samsung are becoming more like Apple every single day, they've taken on their traits which is very sad.

I really hope HTC stick one in Samsung's gut and so much so that it hurts S4 sales, but the likelihood is this won't happen as such and the S4 will go on to sell millions to those who have bought very heavily into the Galaxy brand.

HTC need to take advantage with the gem that they have (HO) and make sure that supply is plentiful and build quality / QC is top notch.

Good on them!

@grudas

I hope so. Samsung need a swift kick up the backside. They're becoming arrogant to think that plastic sells....HTC have shown them otherwise.

Associate
Aren't they content with being the number 1 Android OEM

As a global corporate powerhouse they won't be content. Ever. That's just the nature of the beast.

They're already a conglomerate with unprecedented brand reach into more industries and sectors globally than I can think of. All they need is a car division and a travel and agriculture business (assuming they don't already have all three) and they could pretty much monopolize life.

These sorts of tactics don't shock me one bit. The fact that they were so blatant and they got away with it for so long has though.

Caporegime
@stoosh

It has certainly put me of them a lot! Don't like companies like that, I don't like apple for a number of reasons, but the main reason is because of what they do and how they go about things i.e. suing for stupid stuff, that really put me of them even more and not to mention steve Job's attitude regarding android left a very bad taste in my mouth :p

Yup, unfortunately so, as long as Samsung have the money and keep putting a **** load of it into marketing, giving much better "gifts/rewards" i.e. bribes :p to network shops/sales people etc. then they will remain as the number 1 OEM. I think the HTC one is going to make a nice impact though, especially when you see that HTC are expecting to have 1 million units (iirc) shipped for this month and over 2 million in May (obviously the GS 4 will most likely dwarf those figures though)

The good outcome if HTC do manage to really scare Samsung and have many sales, is that Samsung will have to pull of a "GS 2" device next year i.e. be leaps ahead for its time again! :D

For a smallish company that only have the 1 market (i.e. smartphones) thus not much money and certainly not anywhere as well known as the likes of Samsung and sony i.e. brand presence, they sure are doing very well.

Last edited:
Soldato
As a global corporate powerhouse they won't be content. Ever. That's just the nature of the beast.

They're already a conglomerate with unprecedented brand reach into more industries and sectors globally than I can think of. All they need is a car division and a travel and agriculture business (assuming they don't already have all three) and they could pretty much monopolize life.

These sorts of tactics don't shock me one bit. The fact that they were so blatant and they got away with it for so long has though.

Very true it is the nature of the beast, companies don't get anywhere playing nice but maybe i'm just naive and thought that Samsung wouldn't stoop so low. I'm very rapidly tiring of Samsung and to think I have most of their products i.e. TV, Laptop and mobile phones! :eek: (although I'm not a fanboy!!)

It would be extremely scary if they branched into selling cars and other things, I saw a Samsung washing machine advert the other day and it scared me! They need something horrible to happen to them, just to get off their high horses and eat some humble pie.

@stoosh

It has certainly put me of them a lot! Don't like companies like that, I don't like apple for a number of reasons, but the main reason is because of what they do and how they go about things i.e. suing for stupid stuff, that really put me of them even more and not to mention steve Job's attitude regarding android left a very bad taste in my mouth :p

Yup, unfortunately so, as long as Samsung have the money and keep putting a **** load of it into marketing, giving much better "gifts/rewards" i.e. bribes :p to network shops/sales people etc. then they will remain as the number 1 OEM. I think the HTC one is going to make a nice impact though, especially when you see that HTC are expecting to have 1 million units (iirc) shipped for this month and over 2 million in May (obviously the GS 4 will most likely dwarf those figures though)

The good outcome if HTC do manage to really scare Samsung and have many sales, is that Samsung will have to pull of a "GS 2" device next year i.e. be leaps ahead for its time again! :D

For a smallish company that only have the 1 market (i.e. smartphones) thus not much money and certainly not anywhere as well known as the likes of Samsung and sony i.e. brand presence, they sure are doing very well.

Yes I don't like companies like that either and one of the main reasons why I really can't stand Apple exactly for all the reasons that you've highlighted, that tipped me over the edge. :mad:

It's like David vs Goliath when it comes to HTC and Samsung, they have so much money they can pretty much buy themselves out of anything which unfortunately any company with their power and stature would not hesitate to use. Everyone I know bar one person who is somewhat loyal to Samsung is going to by the HO and doesn't think much of the S4 and that's really saying something. Samsung taking an "Apple-esc" stance might actually be their undoing, can they pull something out of the hat next year that remains to be seen. No doubt Samsung won't care as they will be counting the millions of cash in their coffers and that will do them very nicely.

Shame on you Samsung.

Associate
EDIT;

this is very true - I went into a car-phone warehouse store today to look at the HTC one! the shop had the xperia z and lots of Samsung kit on show (note 2 & GS3 plus tablets) but the htc was just one phone on one bit of the stand and not even turned on, just a mock sticker on the screen. I found the sony to be vary square and chunky in my hand, initial impression of the htc was much better, even when tethered with a security cord.

then I got the obligatory (young) sales rep playing down the ultrapixel tech saying its no different to the 13mp sony. He was pushing Samsung a LOT. He then went on to tell me the store was getting enyos 5 galaxy s4's - from what i have seen online find this hard to believe and I was loosing interest and decided i was not going to win... clearly a fanboy!

anyway, the store was not selling the HTC one sim free, so im now set to order online.

Dan

Caporegime
Damn, now that more people are getting their htc one's, the camera is looking really good and living up to most of the hype, can't get over some of the macro shots :cool:

@DanielSon

Unfortunately it is a big problem and again imo a very unfair tactic, what happened to letting the customer decide what they want or better yet, picking what suits the customer the best?! :rolleyes:

It is such an important factor to sales/popularity as after all that is where the mass majority of average joes go to get their phones and so will be sold apple/samsung stuff instead even if it doesn't suit them and of course being a guy who works in a phone shop, they will think that they know their phone stuff better than other people.....

And yup spot on regarding the presentation of the phones. In the 3 and CPW stores here, the Samsung phones have their own fancy stands where the phones aren't clamped down at all (just a basic charger and tag essentially) with a big TV above showing the phone of :rolleyes: Where as HTC devices etc. are shoved along with all the other phones, which are completely clamped down now or with a stupid cable tie in the middle of the phone which messes the touch screen up completely meaning you can't actually navigate the phone at all........

Of course, this isn't against the "rules" so to speak and Samsung aren't doing anything wrong neccasrily. HTC should be doing the same!

IMO though phone/network shops should be a "neutral" ground.

I hate going into phone shops as they are useless, I just laugh and correct them on everything when they try to sell me a phone, needless to say, you can tell that they get very annoyed especially when you are with a friend helping her/him get a new phone, 3 weren't best pleased when I said to my friend that you can get a nexus 4 for £250/290 from the google play store (in front of 2 sales people!) :D :D :D And then the funny thing is, some idiot then started making excuses "oh I wouldn't go for a nexus 4 now, they have all been recalled due to serious problems", oh really????

TBF, they aren't really fanboys (heck half of them are clueless so I don't think they would even care! :p), they are just doing their "job" and its not like they get paid much anyway so they'll do/sell whatever it is that will benefit them in the end, they make a fair bit from sales commissions.

Also been reports (by people working in the shops) where supposedly Samsung have actually paid phone shops to not sell other phones i.e. one person said they were given orders to say that the iphone was out of stock (despite having loads in stock) and to push the galaxy S3 onto customers instead, this hasn't been confirmed now, but given all of the recent stuff happening and other things, I can't say that I would be surprised if it where true.

Last edited:
Associate
Damn, now that more people are getting their htc one's, the camera is looking really good and living up to most of the hype, can't get over some of the macro shots :cool:
Low light really is amazing too. I took this: http://db.tt/hH8aidQq using night mode about 5mins before complete night time darkness earlier. Astonishing result on the vapour trail for my money.

Man of Honour
And yup spot on regarding the presentation of the phones. In the 3 and CPW stores here, the Samsung phones have their own fancy stands where the phones aren't clamped down at all (just a basic charger and tag essentially) with a big TV above showing the phone of :rolleyes: Where as HTC devices etc. are shoved along with all the other phones, which are completely clamped down now or with a stupid cable tie in the middle of the phone which messes the touch screen up completely meaning you can't actually navigate the phone at all........

I'm finding it really hard to get a really good hands on with the One - the phones are either like you said or with a sales assistant who wants to gawp on at you rather than let you get a feel for the handset.

Meanwhile, Samsung stuff is everywhere.

Caporegime
@Tazzfalcon

Indeed :cool:

Whilst some of the low light/dark shots look pretty noisy, people have to remember that it is capturing far more light than any other phone (without software processing/slow shutter i.e. like the 920) with a very quick shutter speed too so it means you have a much better chance of actually getting a good usable photo in low light/dark conditions, remember all those times where you have wanted to take a photo in poor lighting conditions and you go home and have a look at them on your PC/phone to only find that they are all a blurry mess due to slow shutter and/or shaky hands, with the one this shouldn't happen, at least not as often anyway.

i.e. One S VS one

http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach...0b85b/516db97c/1/8/8/4/2/0/7/one_vs_one_s.jpg

@[TW]Fox

I still have yet to even look for a HTC one, am pretty sure that the 3 and CPW stores near me would have had them on display for ages now but I don't really want to set foot in the stores any more :p :(

I think it is safe to say that the HTC one will feel extremely awesome and that you will just love the perceived quality of it ;)

Can imagine your reaction being like this guys at 0:44

:D :p

Last edited:
Soldato
^ That video just makes me want the One even more :(. I still have about 2 weeks wait for mine from Amazon.

But yes, the One is just plonked on with the other phones with massive clamps over them in CPW, it didn't really let me have a good overall feel of the device at all (not to mention it was just a plastic dummy)... I have yet to see a One that's free out in the wild...

Back
Top Bottom