***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
You know of course that there's less than a quids worth of aluminium in a ho body but if you think that's not cheap that's ok.

The issue with Samsung's plastics doesn't have anything to do with durability - it's more to do with the look and feel of the device in the hand and how that sits with the idea of getting value for your money on a £500 flagship.

For it to be made of plastic which looks and feels worse than Nokia's bottom-of-the-range Lumia - that speaks volumes.

I'm not averse to plastic phones generally. There are plenty of very well-made premium plastic devices on the market.

Samsung's implementation of plastic is unpleasant. It's durable, but it's ugly and distinctly non-premium, many other manufacturers have shown it can be done better.

I couldn't have said it better myself tbh.

Man of Honour
Just been to CPW. They had a Black One. Had a good look. It's stunning in black and the one I looked at had no gaps or quality issues anywhere. It was perfection. I asked to buy it.

They refused to sell me it SIM free :(

One thing though - Sense 5 seems inferior to Sense 3.6 on my Sensation. It's fast and slick but the graphics seem like a step backwards - no nice 'transparent look' battery indicator, no easy quick-toggles etc etc.

On the homescreen of my Sensation I have a discreet Battery icon which shows the percentage charge remaining in an attractive looking icon. I couldn't find a way to reproduce this on the One?

Soldato
Can you upload some photos of the screen not being flush with the rest of the body?

Best I can do is the images I uploaded a few pages ago where you can see the glass slightly stick out on the top corner. While it's hard to see you can definitely feel it by sliding your finger across especially when you pull down to access the settings.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24147096&postcount=2819
(2nd pic green circle)

I must also mention the glass sticking out has reduced on the new replacement and doesn't feel as bad as the 2nd handset I had but it's still there. I think I'm going to keep this one. The gaps I guess I can live with and the corner isn't as bad anymore. Not too bothered about the top part not being flush as I'm gonna use a screen protector anyway so it'll feel weird regardless.

EDIT: Right so I just noticed the replacement I got from HTC directly is unlocked. There's no 3 logo at the start up and no 3 bloatware either. Just tried an 02 sim and it worked.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;24168661 said:
Just been to CPW. They had a Black One. Had a good look. It's stunning in black and the one I looked at had no gaps or quality issues anywhere. It was perfection. I asked to buy it.

One thing though - Sense 5 seems inferior to Sense 3.6 on my Sensation. It's fast and slick but the graphics seem like a step backwards - no nice 'transparent look' battery indicator, no easy quick-toggles etc etc.

On the homescreen of my Sensation I have a discreet Battery icon which shows the percentage charge remaining in an attractive looking icon. I couldn't find a way to reproduce this on the One?

I like this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hubalek.android.reborn.beta&hl=en

Don't know if it'd be any good for you?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24168661 said:

are you giving it a shot at buying as PAYG or just sim free?

Caporegime
@[TW]Fox

You can always install apps to get quick toggles like the touchwiz way or the stock android 4.2 way.

Not sure about the battery widget that you are talking about, but again, there are loads of widgets/apps on the market and I would surprised if there wasn't an app similar to what you want.

and I am sure that you can install many other apps etc. to achieve what you want/like from sense 3.6

@momo56

Kind of hard to tell from the pic really, would need to see/feel it in real life

If we are talking about less than a mm, I don't think that could be regarded as a problem/issue???

Sounds like a result in some ways! No need to wait for your carrier to get updates now! :D

Associate
[TW]Fox;24168737 said:
PAYG one will presumably be locked and you need to waste money on credit as well taking the price north of £500.

I know you're a bit wary but Phones4U have them for £490 SIM free

Associate
Anyone who got an early model considered sending their's back in case of camera defects/issues with the back button yet?

Will probably do so with mine, just can't be bothered yet.

Soldato
Got it back today. Not impressed at all. I have a new IMEI number but I don't think it was a much of a replacement.

The screen still isn't flush at the top and the gap at the top is much bigger. :mad: Plus the bottom of the phone was dirty and quite weird how they didn't turn the phone off before sending it to me. :confused:

However the only positive thing is that there's no longer a dent on the bottom speaker grill and the plastic shavings are gone. The bezel feels a lot smoother now.

Oh dear that's not very good. What did HTC do to actually fix the phone? Not very efficient or effective on their part. Weird that the IMEI number's changed and they left the phone on?!

If possible can you take a picture of the gap on top? Personally I don't mind the gap but the flush screen is still kind of annoying though.

That's a shame Dude, HTC aren't exactly hot when it comes to repairs judging by your experience :eek:

So what's your next move?

Soldato
Anyone here clarify what's the deal with Nokia and HTC with this microphone ban?

Correct me if i'm wrong but the ban is only effective in the Netherlands which involve HO's that have the offending mic? OR does this mean that HTC will have to replace the mic for sales around the world?

This is a major bummer, HTC really doesn't have luck when it comes to its phones.

Finally got a response from HTC re the issues:

Dear,

Thank you for contacting HTC regarding your HTC One.

My name is Chris and I am a Technical Support Agent for the HTC Written Team.

I understand that you are currently experiencing difficulties with gaps in the assembly and I would like to escalate this issue so it can be investigated further.

Can I please confirm all of the following details:

Customer Information

Full Name:
Phone Number:
Email Address:

Device Information

Serial Number: (Settings - About Phone - Phone Identity)
IMEI: (*#06# from your phones keypad)

Current network provider:

From the following location: Settings - About Phone - Software Information

Android Version:
Build Number:
Baseband Version:
HTC Sense Version:

Please also include high quality picture(s) of the gaps form me to include in the escalatation.

I look forward to receiving the above information so that I may respond to your query fully.

I no longer have the phone which was deemed as defective as it's gone back to P4U! Still it's good to know that HTC are taking the issue seriously.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone here clarify what's the deal with Nokia and HTC with this microphone ban?

Correct me if i'm wrong but the ban is only effective in the Netherlands which involve HO's that have the offending mic? OR does this mean that HTC will have to replace the mic for sales around the world?

Yeah I am interested in this too. I'd be surprised if it wasn't moved to a full EU ban at the least. I think they'll come to an agreement though, money always talks :p ST to pay HTC for incorrectly licensing them a product they weren't allowed to licence and ST to pay Nokia for breaching the exclusivity period.

Caporegime
Regarding the nokia/mic situation:

http://www.allaboutphones.nl/nieuws...p-tot-levering-tufnell-microfoon-aan-htc.html

The court has no recall issued for HTC One, according to the court is also not desirable in Dutch law and Finnish law is not possible. However, the court imposes a sales ban on at ST Microelectronics thus can not deliver to third parties outside Nokia in February 2014 to the microphone. This should HTC looking for a new supplier for its HTC One smartphone as it will get from ST Microelectronics. No microphones longer supplied Should ST Microelectronics or by going to the delivery, then paying a compensation of 50,000 euros per microphone supplied to third parties, with a maximum of 1 million. The court believes that HTC blameless in this case because the manufacturer did not know there was such a contract between Nokia and ST Microelectronics. This allows the HTC One therefore be in the Netherlands and recalled not be banned.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...cs-posts-171-million-loss-on-ericsson-venture

The chipmaker, which has the French and Italian governments as its biggest shareholders, separately said yesterday it will appeal a decision by a Dutch court ordering it to stop supplying HTC Corp. (2498) with microphones used in smartphones after Nokia complained the chipmaker broke an exclusivity agreement with the Finnish company.

Essentially it is ST Microelectronics fault, however, by the looks of it nokia are mainly blaming HTC (surprise surprise......) and trying to ban them but the judge can clearly see that it isn't HTC's fault so hasn't banned the HTC one, they have been ordered to find an alternative though.

In some ways it is a good thing and a bad thing:

1. Publicity for HTC one, in some ways it is good and in some ways it is bad (as in if people don't read the article fully and automatically assume that "htc were stealing nokia's tech)

2. means HTC need to replace that superior mic. tech with something else and will probably not be as good :(

3. people with the good mic will be able to sell their one's for a bit more (assuming htc can't replace it with a good/equal alternative)

HTC really must have a winner of a device on their hands if they are getting this much attention from all these companies, interesting article:

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/04/23/it-s-officially-htc-against-the-world/

It really is reminding me of the apple VS samsung situation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I am interested in this too. I'd be surprised if it wasn't moved to a full EU ban at the least. I think they'll come to an agreement though, money always talks :p ST to pay HTC for incorrectly licensing them a product they weren't allowed to licence and ST to pay Nokia for breaching the exclusivity period.

That sound's about right. Let's hope all the parties involved do come to some sort of cross licensing agreement. Deep pockets can help! It will be good for everyone in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom