***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
Oh dear that's not very good. What did HTC do to actually fix the phone? Not very efficient or effective on their part. Weird that the IMEI number's changed and they left the phone on?!

If possible can you take a picture of the gap on top? Personally I don't mind the gap but the flush screen is still kind of annoying though.

That's a shame Dude, HTC aren't exactly hot when it comes to repairs judging by your experience :eek:

So what's your next move?

I'm not sure to be honest. I can't tell if its a replacement or not. The serial number is still the same but the IMEI is changed and the phone is no longer locked to 3. The branding and bloatware are gone too.

If it isn't a replacement then they most likely removed and changed the top and bottom speaker grills as there's no longer a dent at the bottom.

img0006wi.jpg

My 2nd handset only hand a gap in the corner. This one has a bigger gap at the top.

I emailed HTC and they said they passed me on to their care team which will reply in 48 hours. Although tbh I'm probably going to keep it. The gaps I can live with and the screen sticking out in the corner has been reduced. The screen not being flush at the top isn't a big deal for me because I use a screen protector anyway.

Also the chances of getting a perfect handset from a repair or replacement is really low atm. I've lost faith in HTC repair and the April batches. I might have a go in about a month or two when new batches come out.

@momo56
If we are talking about less than a mm, I don't think that could be regarded as a problem/issue???

Normally I wouldn't mind. I only noticed because the first handset didn't have the issue. Also once you notice it's quite hard to ignore especially when your finger passes through it every now and then.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24168737 said:
PAYG one will presumably be locked and you need to waste money on credit as well taking the price north of £500.

have you thought to ask? I mean there's a limited set of possibilities...

1) they have sim free unlocked stock but are just refusing to sell it to you
2) they have multiple variants of locked payg handsets
3) the handsets lock themselves to the first network sim put in the phone (only experienced this with iPhones myself, never android)

I'm pretty sure you'll find 1 is the correct answer, you're asking for sim free which is the least profitable sale so cpw head office have locked out that option meaning you have to buy it with some level of subsidy/commission for cpw. Least of which being PAYG.

For the most part I believe P4U and CPW effectively sell sim free with a sim pack for higher end PAYG meaning they're generic unlocked handsets...

Man of Honour
I was stood in the shop holding the phone for which he'd specifically unsealed to show me - I told him I'd buy it then and there, he showed me his screen which had zero pricing details for anything but PAYG or Contract.

Though its academic now - I just ordered it online. Hopefully it'll get here before I go away at the weekend :) Also gives me the protection of the DSR if there are quality issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
fair do's, my point in this situation is that the PAYG handsets in carphone are normally unlocked and stay that way because they need to be able to sell them on tmobile/o2/voda etc.

Good luck! I really want one of these too, can't really justify it as I have an S4 on the way but I'll probably give one a go someday.

Caporegime
So guys, I have been doing much soul-searching lately, and am soon up for an upgrade. Before, I said the HTC One wasn't an option, now my opinion seems to be wavering despite my persistent annoyance on the lack of SD slot. The camera I can live with.

So... how are you owners finding it? Screen still wowing you? Battery life holding up to intense use?

Man of Honour
Against my better judgement I ordered from Phones4u.

The fun has started already. Apparently its in stock but my order is undergoing checks which take 5 working days? For a sim free phone?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24171687 said:
Against my better judgement I ordered from Phones4u.

The fun has started already. Apparently its in stock but my order is undergoing checks which take 5 working days? For a sim free phone?

If something is wrong with the phone can you swap it in store?

Associate
I ordered a black sim free HO from Phones4u yesterday and received it this morning. Can't fault the service so far. Now fingers crossed as I open the box and check for build issues..

Soldato
I ordered a black sim free HO from Phones4u yesterday and received it this morning. Can't fault the service so far. Now fingers crossed as I open the box and check for build issues..

So you ordered it yesterday from P4U and received it today? The other guy ordered it yesterday and has to wait at least 5 working days for checks?

Something's not right! :p

Associate
Had my Black HTC One for nearly a month, I think it is a great phone, no visual quality issues at all. However, the camera has stopped focussing properly last night.

When in camera mode, I tap the screen, a white square pops up, then it displays the same square in green, but does not focus the image at all, the image it takes is all blurred.

I completed a factory reset to see if that cleared it, but still the same, no settings to change in the camera.

Took it back to CPW, they have ordered me a replacement for Saturday, so no issues there. Lets hope this is not the sign of things to come owning a HTC One.

Man of Honour
Having read all the GS4 reviews that came out today it's quite a surprise to see most reviewers saying they prefer the HTC One. No more getting away with nasty plastic for Samsung! :p

Caporegime
Why a surprise?

The HTC one is an excellent phone in pretty much every single area and even surpasses the GS 4 in a few areas. The only serious downside in comparison is the SD slot/storage.

Even the majority of users on forums seem to prefer the htc one.

As Brian said in his review it really comes down to preference:

LCD VS SAMOLED
better camera in low light VS better camera in bright light (although there is a lot more to the camera than just this i.e. shutter speed, features, if more MP are required for crop etc., macro shots etc.)
metal VS plastic
simple/nice UI VS feature full

etc.

Last edited:
Associate
So you ordered it yesterday from P4U and received it today? The other guy ordered it yesterday and has to wait at least 5 working days for checks?

Something's not right! :p

Yep, didn't receive any shipping notification it just turned up this morning. I did do a live chat with them yesterday afternoon after ordering though and they said it had left the warehouse already, wasn't quite expecting it to turn up soon though..

Soldato
So... how are you owners finding it? Screen still wowing you? Battery life holding up to intense use?

It's been a breath of fresh air thus far, no issues for me with my black One, Loving the screen too ... Watching tv shows on it is a bit!
Direct sunlight visibility is ok - better than my DHD was st any rate.

So far my camera is fine - no issues with focus etc

Associate
Why a surprise?

The HTC one is an excellent phone in pretty much every single area and even surpasses the GS 4 in a few areas. The only serious downside in comparison is the SD slot/storage.

Even the majority of users on forums seem to prefer the htc one.

As Brian said in his review it really comes down to preference:

LCD VS SAMOLED
better camera in low light VS better camera in bright light (although there is a lot more to the camera than just this i.e. shutter speed, features, if more MP are required for crop etc., macro shots etc.)
metal VS plastic
simple/nice UI VS feature full

etc.

To be honest I'm more surprised that Samsung have dropped the ball. If they nailed the hardware and software design on the S4 then it would have been a much more convincing proposition.

After having played with a One I have to say I prefer the design of both the hardware and the software, albeit there are some minor annoyances in the software but I can live with that :p. What surprised me most was that the LCD screen on the One really is damn good, for my usage I certainly wouldn't miss the true blacks of SAMOLED.

In terms of camera it looks like HTC sorted out all the earlier issues and I think it would be fine for my personal needs, as long as the pictures look fine when printed on 6x4 or even 7x5 then I'll be happy. Don't understand why the S4 has such a ridiculous FOV.

Like I've said before, I seriously believe one phone can change things or at least make a serious impact. Manufacturers just need to make sure they keep up with that wave and not rest on their laurels.

Soldato
I'm currently in contract with o2 and I'm due an upgrade in September. My current phone is a HTC Sensation XE. I am wanting the HTC One but after going to this site ---> http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobi...network=goog&gclid=CKiWtdiZvLYCFcLHtAodRSYANw
...it appears that other providers offer better deals. Also after reading some posts in this topic, I see some people are getting even better deals elsewhere.

So, basically, what are my best options ? I'd like to stick with o2 if possible.

Soldato
Essentially it is ST Microelectronics fault, however, by the looks of it nokia are mainly blaming HTC (surprise surprise......) and trying to ban them but the judge can clearly see that it isn't HTC's fault so hasn't banned the HTC one, they have been ordered to find an alternative though.

In some ways it is a good thing and a bad thing:

1. Publicity for HTC one, in some ways it is good and in some ways it is bad (as in if people don't read the article fully and automatically assume that "htc were stealing nokia's tech)

2. means HTC need to replace that superior mic. tech with something else and will probably not be as good

3. people with the good mic will be able to sell their one's for a bit more (assuming htc can't replace it with a good/equal alternative)

I'm not surprised that Nokia are going after HTC, as per the article that you posted (which is excellent BTW) everyone sees the HO as a threat and quite rightly so. HTC have a hit on their hands with this phone and they deserve it. The phone is absolutely awesome and IMO nothing really touches it in terms of design and overall package.

ST Microelectronics have been dodgy, personally I think Nokia should reprimand them and sue ST for a breach of contract but that doesn't happen in this cut throat and highly competitive mobile industry.

It will be a shame if HTC have to replace the tech for something lesser, it reminds me of the HOS situation where HTC had to replace the snapdragon chip with an inferior chip. Hopefully HTC will be able to replace the mic with something on an equal footing or even better. Either way I think people will be rushing to get the HO while they can because of the uncertainty that surrounds it in terms of the mic.

I'm not sure to be honest. I can't tell if its a replacement or not. The serial number is still the same but the IMEI is changed and the phone is no longer locked to 3. The branding and bloatware are gone too.

If it isn't a replacement then they most likely removed and changed the top and bottom speaker grills as there's no longer a dent at the bottom.

My 2nd handset only hand a gap in the corner. This one has a bigger gap at the top.

I emailed HTC and they said they passed me on to their care team which will reply in 48 hours. Although tbh I'm probably going to keep it. The gaps I can live with and the screen sticking out in the corner has been reduced. The screen not being flush at the top isn't a big deal for me because I use a screen protector anyway.

Also the chances of getting a perfect handset from a repair or replacement is really low atm. I've lost faith in HTC repair and the April batches. I might have a go in about a month or two when new batches come out.

Normally I wouldn't mind. I only noticed because the first handset didn't have the issue. Also once you notice it's quite hard to ignore especially when your finger passes through it every now and then.

Thanks for the picture Mate, it sounds like to me that HTC have swapped it out for another phone. You're right about getting a perfect handset, if you can live with the gap and screen being raised then its fine. I just got my 4th replacement delivered this morning from Rainforest, it's a FA34DW batch (made in Taiwan) and there's slight gaps at the top and bottom but they're extremely small and not worth bothering about, the screen is raised at the top but it's different this time and doesn't move in as you slide the finger to the right, it feels the same all the way across.

I'm also happy with this device and will be keeping it, TBH later batches might get better but it might be worth waiting a couple of months I guess.

Having read all the GS4 reviews that came out today it's quite a surprise to see most reviewers saying they prefer the HTC One. No more getting away with nasty plastic for Samsung! :p

Exactly! Samsung's design is getting played out and rather dated. I would think twice about shelling out £530 for a plastic phone which looks identical at first glance as it's predecessor. My personal preference I just couldn't get myself to buy the S4, I just wasn't feeling it and that's saying a lot because I'm a junkie when it comes to buying new phones.

Back
Top Bottom