***The Official HTC One Thread***

So you ordered it yesterday from P4U and received it today? The other guy ordered it yesterday and has to wait at least 5 working days for checks?

Something's not right! :p

I think I got a useless operator. I just asked again and got:

I can see that your order is in our warehouse, currently waiting to be despatched. As soon as it is despatched, you will receive an email confirmation. Your order will be with you within 3-5 working days from the despatch date.

I queried this and she said its just a disclaimer and that it will be sent today for next day delivery.

Yay! Fingers crossed for no quality issues. The one I handled yesterday in CPW was absolutely perfect. Hope mine is as good.

I'm going to eat my words and order today with P4U. My previous experiences with them haven't been great - that was 2 years ago. I'll try again tonight when I get home.

I'm going for the black. Who went for the silver or black?

I ordered mine from affordablemobiles on the 10th and still no stock! If the deal wasn't so good, I would go elsewhere. I wish I wasn't so impatient when it comes to tech/gadgets lol. Really can't wait to get this though. The more I read about it, the more I want it. Any one here bought the HTC car dock for this?

A whole £6.50 Quidco from P4U to, so took it down to £483.

Must say the Galaxy S4 reviews are amusing. It certainly doesn't seem to live up to the hype and the cheap plastic construction is criticised in almost every review I've seen so far. I honestly cannot understand the excitement for that device.

It's been a breath of fresh air thus far, no issues for me with my black One, Loving the screen too ... Watching tv shows on it is a bit!
Direct sunlight visibility is ok - better than my DHD was st any rate.

So far my camera is fine - no issues with focus etc

And battery life? Can you give some feedback on that, like how fast browsing and watching videos drains the battery, and how long it lasts you on an average day? :)

To be honest I'm more surprised that Samsung have dropped the ball. If they nailed the hardware and software design on the S4 then it would have been a much more convincing proposition.

After having played with a One I have to say I prefer the design of both the hardware and the software, albeit there are some minor annoyances in the software but I can live with that :p. What surprised me most was that the LCD screen on the One really is damn good, for my usage I certainly wouldn't miss the true blacks of SAMOLED.

In terms of camera it looks like HTC sorted out all the earlier issues and I think it would be fine for my personal needs, as long as the pictures look fine when printed on 6x4 or even 7x5 then I'll be happy. Don't understand why the S4 has such a ridiculous FOV.

Like I've said before, I seriously believe one phone can change things or at least make a serious impact. Manufacturers just need to make sure they keep up with that wave and not rest on their laurels.

Unfortunately Samsung are pretty much identical to apple now, they release a killer of a device that was way ahead of its time i.e. iphone 4 and galaxy s2 and then ride of the success of that and instead of using the profits to do the same again, they just release a device that only just beats/matches the competition and then throw a large chunk of money into the marketing etc. and rely largely on that to achieve their sales (not a bad thing obviously but I would rather they actually make devices that live up to the hype that they generate.....) It is pretty obvious that it works for them, a guy who works at Samsung pretty much said that they will throw even more money into marketing for the GS 4 this year, after all, if it didn't help a lot, then why continue to increase it substantially each year.

Of course if the HTC one is a huge success then HTC could/will fall into the same phase :(

Samsung will need to change that design/plastic with the next device otherwise I can see sales declining, although next year could be the year of flexible/foldable screens........

So far on these sort of forums and reviews, the HTC one seems to be the preferred device, however, unfortunately that plays only for a very small part of the sales, HTC need to reel in the average joes too and given the lack of sales commission, advertising in network/phone shops etc. I don't think they will.......

Personally I would much prefer SAMOLED and drool at the thought of the GS 4's 5" 1080P SAMOLED screen :p, I could live with the LCD screen of the one though.

I'm sure it will be fine, you could ask Tom_D to inspect it

Oh dear god no!!!

:D

@stoosh

Indeed.

Another good thing about this free advertising is that people will see how amazing the one is when it comes to recording gigs (imagine how many people do this, tons of videos on youtube etc.) etc. Before this happened, the audio recording wasn't getting much, if any attention and now when people read about this nokia/htc thing and go of to research about it, they will hopefully see videos on it i.e.

And then rush out to buy one before the mic. gets replaced :p

edit:

BTW, if you read the GS 4 verge review, the same guy talks a bit about the HTC one, as someone on XDA said, he seems to appreciate it much more

The One is refined, quiet, comfortable, beautiful, and above all simply pleasant. I love using that phone, in a way I haven't experienced with anything since the iPhone 5. That's why, when my contract is up in June, I'll probably be casting my lot with HTC instead of Samsung.

EDIT:

And yet again, GSMarena bump the GS 4 review back up to the top, hmmm......

Update, April 24: Over the past week, we also had the opportunity to spend time with a US version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 for Sprint Wireless. Save for the different bands, the handset's specifications and performance are on par with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 powered device we extensively reviewed.

Last edited:
I thought people took it apart and there wasn't even a sensor under the HTC logo? How strange

There is no 'Sensor' under the other 2 either. The Screen is 4.7inches, but the digitaliser (Touch Sensor for the screen) is about 4.85inches, covering the bottom of the phone. So in theory, you can map as many new buttons at the bottom as you want, just only 2 will be back lit. Same with most HTC's :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2194315&page=23

Just ordered a black one from P4U like Fox.

First Android handset, first sim-free also. But my rather aged iPhone 4 keeps turning off and I'm bored of the platform. I don't see the next iPhone to be anything to shout about and the HTC One seems to be the ideal replacement, and I'm sure I'm one of the people they thought of when they designed the phone.

I of course have money invested in the App store, but I can simply donate the good stuff to my partners son who loves his iPod. The only thing I really need that wasn't free is the TomTom app, but I would happily purchase that again like you would a TomTom device when it's out of date :)

And battery life? Can you give some feedback on that, like how fast browsing and watching videos drains the battery, and how long it lasts you on an average day? :)

I watched two tv show episodes yesterday - one on train to office and another on the way home - one was 43mins odd and the other was 58mins odd with max brightness and headphones and the battery was at about 40% when I got home.

This was with whatsapp and internet browsing / wordfeud etc thrown in as well as some music listening on the tube for an hour odd too. Was able to then go for a run with gps tracking me and continue with whatsapp and it finally got down to 3% by about 22:30 after coming off charge at around 07:00 that morning.

I'm more than happy with that - on an average day I'll get home and still have 60-70% battery :)

Well I've had my handset for a week now, although I had to return the first handset due to the gap issue it was sorted swiftly and with no grumbles.. I came from an iPhone 4s

Things I like:

• Build quality
  • Feel of the handset in your hand
  • Speakers are amazing I call people now and just leave it in the desk of sofa and chat
  • Screen quality is jaw dropping coming from the 4s
  • Battery life is a day and a half for me
  • Call quality is spot on
  • Plenty of room for me with regards to music, apps and games
  • Speed of the handset is fantastic and silky smooth

Things I'm not too sure about:

• Having to wake the handset with the power button + moving parts seem to break first
  • Volume buttom is taking a bit of getting used to

Other than that I have no regrets at all :) I'm not planning on changing the rom as yet, it works perfectly well for me as is and I'd rather not break anything

Does this phone have a way of disabling notifications ect at night between specified times? On the s3 it's called "blocking mode" and on the iPhone it's called "do not disturb" I have my phone beside me when I sleep and don't want to be irritated by noises/lights ect.

Does this phone have a way of disabling notifications ect at night between specified times? On the s3 it's called "blocking mode" and on the iPhone it's called "do not disturb" I have my phone beside me when I sleep and don't want to be irritated by noises/lights ect.

It has "Auto-Sync" It will sync for emails during the day and only at night if you check them regularly. If you dont check your emails for a day it will only do it once a day.

Since Brian put the sharpness of the HTC one down to -2 which made the outside photo look very soft/blurry, here it is with some sharpness added through CS 6 and quickly ran it through the perfectly clear android app :p

Original image:

http://i.imgur.com/Xeozz4E.jpg

Via CS 6, I just used the "sharpen more" preset (someone could probably fine tune it to be even better)

http://i.imgur.com/PRAFhWd.jpg

Via perfectly clear (tried sharpening it in CS 6 after but too much noise is visible then)

http://i.imgur.com/r6WgE9G.jpg

Am sure someone more experienced with photoshop could get better results.

I think HTC should increase the shutter speed a wee bit and have -1 sharpness as the default.

So apparently the software update is hitting Europe today, anyone got it yet and can confirm improvements in the "camera and stability"?

Back
Top Bottom