***The Official HTC One Thread***

Is it fair to say the HTC One is better than the Samsung S4?

I don't think that would be entirely fair, but you could make a case for the HTC being better without too much effort.

It comes down to personal taste really. The main plus point of the S4 is the expandable storage.

Not better and the GS 4 isn't better than the one. It comes down to what you value more in the end.

The way I look at it is,

GS 4:

- RGB NLED
- SD slot
- removable battery
- some nice hardware/software features i.e. airview

HTC one:

- speakers
- perceived quality
- camera overall imo, most versatile i.e. video and audio recording, OIS, macro shots, very quick shutter, features/zoe, low light/dark conditions and it is looking to be really good in bright/landscape conditions (although some people might need/want more MP if they crop/zoom a lot and have a high res. monitor etc.)

battery and performance is more or less the same

Software, design and screen tech. are down to personal preference.

Finally had a play with one of these in town today. Wow it's a nice phone!

Is there any news on the 64GB version coming soon? I'm really tempted by it but I just don't think 32GB total is enough for me.

Not better and the GS 4 isn't better than the one. It comes down to what you value more in the end.

The way I look at it is,

GS 4:

- RGB NLED
- SD slot
- removable battery
- some nice hardware/software features i.e. airview

HTC one:

- speakers
- perceived quality
- camera overall imo, most versatile i.e. video and audio recording, OIS, macro shots, very quick shutter, features/zoe, low light/dark conditions and it is looking to be really good in bright/landscape conditions (although some people might need/want more MP if they crop/zoom a lot and have a high res. monitor etc.)

battery and performance is more or less the same

Software, design and screen tech. are down to personal preference.

how comes reviews, you everyone seem to miss the point that screen on the s4 is bigger ?! i mean its quite important isn't it :eek:

@Nexus

Yes maybe, but it also shows that even the reviewers want a change when it comes to design and materials used. Something that us consumers have been screaming ages for.
I like some of the additions that Samsung have baked into Touchwiz, but when I had the S3 I certainly didn't use all the features that were available to me. I thought that I would miss smart stay when I moved over to the N4 but after a little while it was forgotten about and now I'm using the HO I certainly don't even think about it at all.

However if I were to use a Samsung device again then I certainly would welcome the features with open arms. The rest of the features are something you can show off to your mates in a pub or make iphone users green with envy. :D

Having used the HO moderately today, I must say that I'm really impressed with it and Sense 5. It's so clean and simple however I must admit I have to get the hang of Sense again. For the first time ever I've refrained from installing Nova Launcher and am going to enjoy Sense for what it is. I forgot how awesome the Sense browser is and a simple thing like text reflow is the dogs. :)

As you've quite rightly pointed out it is a matter of an individuals choice whether the S4 or HO is better however again as you put it HTC have put in more thought and consideration in towards the HO and it shows.

Watching videos on Youtube Touchwiz does seem extremely cluttered and with all the extra options it seems mind boggling. That's one of the reasons that put me off the S4, as well as the plastic materials used and design. I just fancied a complete change.

I use a case on the HO! :p but only when I'm out and about and it's a slim case but I like to use the HO minus the case when I'm at home.

Vic Gundotra has a HTC One? Really? Was he tweeting about it?

@Robbo So what's it going to be Dude? Are you going to buy the HO? or go for the S4?

@grudas

Yes I would much much prefer the GS 4 screen due to the SAMOLED and extra size considering my main uses are browsing, photos, videos etc. however, there is more to it than just size and besides it is not like 4.7" is exactly small, the GS 4 is actually 4.9" too, not 5".

advantages of the one screen over the GS 4:

- brighter
- sharper due to higher ppi and RGB pixel arrangement (not noticeable in real world usage imo but there are still people that don't like SAMOLED due to the pentile matrix)
- better whites

Many people prefer it to SAMOLED due to it being better calibrated/having natural colours (Samsung's adobe RGB preset is apparently just "natural" mode renamed and still not as good as the one calibration overall according to Brian)

GS 4 screen advantages over the one:

- size
- vivid/saturated colours for some people (including myself)
- infinite contrast ratio
- black is black

Power efficiency seems to be more or less the same, SAMOLED wins when it comes to darker colours/blacks and LCD wins when it comes to bright/white colours. Need to see better tests on this though....

Viewing angles are excellent on both.

The smaller screen on the one might be an advantage to some people as some won't be able to reach the other side of the bigger screen with their thumbs comfortably, device might be more or less the same size but the screen isn't i.e.

EfDF4Rg.png

Below colour codes/names are wrong way round.

lwBNqtc.png

Last edited:
That's great to hear! You lucky git! :p

I'm still waiting on the update (sim free unit unfortunately) :(

ISO confusion appears to be much less so camera kicks out more accurate pictures even at default auto settings. Sharpening filter appears to have been toned back at touch also.

ISO confusion appears to be much less so camera kicks out more accurate pictures even at default auto settings. Sharpening filter appears to have been toned back at touch also.

Good news in respect to the camera improvements, at least we don't have to mess with the settings prior to taking pictures. :)

If you suffered the back and home buttons being unresponsive prior to the update, can you please tell me if the update has improved the responsiveness?

@stoosh

Yup, the sense browser is really excellent and one of the main reasons why I prefer HTC/sense devices, browsing is my main usage these days so having flash player, quick thumb controls, text reflow when pinch to zoom and double tap, fast and smooth and most importantly renders text and web pages correctly all in one browser is extremely important to me, all the 3rd party browser are pretty naff in comparison imo.

I expect that we will see a lot of the new Samsung stuff on the market pretty soon, we already have smart stay, smart rotate etc. on the market.

Yup he owns/uses a HTC one now :) Was posting about how immense the speakers are on google + amongst other wee things in the comments:

https://plus.google.com/+VicGundotra/posts

On those thumb pictures, it seems to me that the bottom one has its key the wrong way round?

But for me, I find it almost fine for using one hand, and that Blacks, are pretty Black!

Good spot! Didn't notice it myself :o :p

Yeah the blacks are very good for a LCD screen!

eFr5I8Y.png

Only time it would be noticeable next to a SAMOLED screen is in low light/dark conditions and/or when viewing from an angle in those conditions.

edit:

HTC Walks Away from Dutch Nokia Case With a Smile

Reports are coming in that state that HTC was not actually the target of the recent Dutch lawsuit. They real target was STMicroelectronics, the distributors for the microphone components. HTC will be allowed to continue to burn through their stock of HTC One's that contain the mic tech. After that they'll have to find a new supplier. Even though this originally seemed to be another setback, it's actually just a small ripple in a very large pond.

HTC were found to be innocent in their knowledge of Nokia's exclusive agreement with STMicroelectronics. JPMorgan Securities have stated that they expect to see very little impact on HTC's revenue because of this incident. HTC are reportedly already on the lookout for a new microphone supplier.

It's here.

Quality is almost perfect though it seems the lower speaker grille isn't quite flush with the screen wheresa the upper speaker grille is beautifully flush with seamless transition from grille to screen. Is anyone elses like this?

There is a lot to like but I'm not sure I'm a Sense 5 fan. I actually prefer Sense 3.6 - where Sense 3.6 had colourful graphics, ie for weather, Sense 5 has minimalistic outlines instead. There is no option to change this, sadly. It's also missing a lot of the Sense widgits I've come to enjoy - for example where is HTC FriendStream?

Also, whats the obsession with block capitals? I don't want the date in block capitals please. Why can't I change it?

Whats going on with the SMS application? In Sense 3.6 it was attractive looking, each message looked a bit like mini-postit notes. In Sense 5 its some awful looking affair which only seems to allow a choice of colour schemes involving garish or primary colours. No soft pastel shades.

Last edited:
Good news in respect to the camera improvements, at least we don't have to mess with the settings prior to taking pictures. :)

If you suffered the back and home buttons being unresponsive prior to the update, can you please tell me if the update has improved the responsiveness?

I've not noticed any issues with my buttons since I've had it to be fair.

@Nexus Indeed, I forgot just how versatile Sense browser is and it's incredible and a joy to use!

Thanks for the link to his Google+ account, he really does like the HO doesn't he?

Yep! I can see all the Samsung features hitting the market soon, but they never really work properly do they?!! ;)

@kitch9 I guess you'll never know if the buttons didn't work now that you've got the software update! :D

@Robbo Boring and expensive! Besides there's a limit to the amount of phones you can have it even applies to the likes of you and I!!! :p

That was a dummy, maybe the real thing just might be different but I think otherwise!

I found the smart stay (the more popular one and the "iseeyou" app) and smart rotate to work really well on my S but uninstalled them as they were a bit pointless for my uses, the only time smart stay would apply to me is at night when lying in bed, however, it is pointless because the camera can't detect my face/eyes :p :o Think we need a ultrapixel front camera! :D :p

Back
Top Bottom