***The Official HTC One Thread***

Never really cared much for Nokia & their Windows Phone range & now I care even less.

Just sour grapes on Nokia's behalf. They've got egg on their faces for backing Windows phone instead of swallowing their pride and producing Android phones.

Losers! :p

In the case of a Google version of the HTC One phone isn't really pointless since there's the Dev edition that's available in the US?

Besides won't a ASOP HO take away all the best qualities of the phone, i.e. Zoe and boomsound?

Interesting to see what will transpire in the next few weeks though.

The developer edition isn't really that special or what it sounds like:

This was only released in the USA and the reason is that some US carriers will disable boot loader unlocking, unlike the international versions which can be unlocked trough HTC dev website

It has to be clarified this edition is not SOFF, instead it comes with boot loader unlocked out of box, the same you can do for the standard 32GB contract free version using HTC Dev website, the only thing that favors the Dev edition is the 64GB storage and the fact HTC is officially uploading it's RUUs on the HTC Dev website

Unlike the One X all unlocked HTC Ones can have boot.img flashed using zip file from custom recovery

As for SOFF so far no exploit found, it can be achieved using HTC hardware in certain unofficial places and there are also some pre production builds with SOFF out of box floating around

It hasn't been confirmed if it will be a AOSP device (and the GS 4 hasn't either), only that they will be running stock android/have a nexus user experience, which if that is all i.e. non AOSP then it won't really help development much for either when it comes to AOSP based ROMs afaik....

Boomsound should work fine, I think..... but you loose everything else i..e beats audio, zoe etc.

It will be interesting to see how the camera works though due to the OIS, software needs to be specifically optimised for that.

Another article on it, quite interesting:

HTC One 'Google Edition' for the US imminent

Set to be available in the US Only - like its S4 equivalent - the device is said to use use identical hardware to the 'regular' HTC One Developer Edition. It remains to be seen whether this will impact the ability for enthusiasts to run the software on regular HTC One devices due to radio band support - once again T-Mo HSPA+ users could be out of luck. It does mean the device should pack 64GB of storage out of the box... do you still want that microSD support so bad?

It seems as though the very existence of the Google Edition device has created considerable internal turmoil at HTC. There is a deep seated belief within HTC that Sense provides the best possible Android experience and there's no reason to offer anything different - unifying behind a consistent message. HTC has always been a company however that is driven from the top and it appears as though the new device has been sanctioned by none other than Peter Chou himself, no doubt influenced by arch-rival Samsung's recent announcement. While many inside HTC don't agree that the Google Edition is the way to go - it's really happening.

A 'stock Android' version of the One is particularly interesting for a number of reasons, not least because it gives the ability to really understand what you give up when you lose Sense vs what you gain with stock Android. Of course, you'll forfeit the HTC Camera application with it's Zoe and Highlights features, you'll bid goodbye to Blinkfeed and a number of HTC apps... but in theory you should get faster updates and a 'lighter' device.

Many people have complained about the button layout on the One - a move to stock Android means the hardware buttons can easily be disabled and replaced by 'Nexus style' on screen buttons should you wish.

Sounds to me like Peter Chou is the only one in HTC who actually knows what to do in order to succeed.......

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up Nexus, so the Dev edition doesn't bring anything new to the table and caters for all the restrictions that are in place in the US mobile market.

I should read up on this SOFF / SON malarkey as I don't understand what it's all about, wikipedia is my friend ;)

ASOP is really bad for when it comes to taking / processing pictures and the best feature of the HO is its camera and all the features that it brings to the table. Beats (I don't care much about) as there's apps that you can use to emulate the the equaliser to get the Beats sound.

As long as it doesn't interfere with Boomsound then the Google edition of the HO will be tempting to those who don't like Sense, but this iteration of Sense is easily the best yet and if I had to chose I would go for the original HO.

The trade off is as mentioned in your post but it's what people prefer.

Chou really does mean business and good on him, he has to do whatever it takes to save his company. It's probably hit him squarely in the face and he's reeling from all the mistakes that HTC has made in the past and he's fighting back now.

Either way the HO is a force to be reckoned with and I really hope that it reverses the misfortune that HTC have encountered over the past few years.

More or less.

I don't really have a clue about the SOFF/SON either :p :o

Likewise, wouldn't even give it a second though! :p Curious as to what the price will be like though!

I suppose when he more or less put his job on the line, he had to take it more seriously and just do what he thought was best rather than leaving it to the "team" who probably were the cause of poor sales etc. for the recent years.....

S-OFF is giving access to a certain partition of the phone, which generally Devs have no interest in. People seem to get obsessed with 'does it have S-OFF yet?' when in actuality, I think it's mainly about the Radio ROM and something else that devs aren't really that bothered by. Koush did an interesting post on G+ about it.

Generally, being able to unlock the bootloader is important, S-OFF not so much.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103583939320326217147/posts/P1i8qzLfkTm

The advantage of having s-off you don't need to keep loading bootloaders separate everytime you put a custom Rom on, I find it a pain having to keep flashing them in the past.

More or less.

I don't really have a clue about the SOFF/SON either :p :o

Likewise, wouldn't even give it a second though! :p Curious as to what the price will be like though!

I suppose when he more or less put his job on the line, he had to take it more seriously and just do what he thought was best rather than leaving it to the "team" who probably were the cause of poor sales etc. for the recent years.....

I thought you were the HTC guru? So we're both in the same boat then when it comes to S-ON/OFF! ;)

The Google edition might be somewhere in the region of £500 if the pricing of the S4 Google edition is anything to go by.

A very bold move from Chou and he's put his money where his mouth is, no one wants to quit their job and he's doing everything he can to keep it. Good on him!

S-OFF is giving access to a certain partition of the phone, which generally Devs have no interest in. People seem to get obsessed with 'does it have S-OFF yet?' when in actuality, I think it's mainly about the Radio ROM and something else that devs aren't really that bothered by. Koush did an interesting post on G+ about it.

Generally, being able to unlock the bootloader is important, S-OFF not so much.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103583939320326217147/posts/P1i8qzLfkTm

Cheers Andy, that's cleared it up :)

So if having S-OFF really doesn't offer much then why do some people place so much importance on it if it's something to do with the Radio ROM?

Unlocking the bootloader is important but anything else doesn't really matter as long as you can flash a ROM.

Eh? Loads of people have posted what they think about it! :p :D

Check a few pages back, mattey posted a good in depth post on what he thinks,.

@stoosh

When it comes to the more in depth stuff like rooting and flashing especially for htc devices ;) then I can be considered a "noob" :p :o

Probably, shame it probably won't be coming out here either though!

Lol, just as I mentioned in the GS 4 thread about bringing out something to compete against the note, I see this! :D :p

Bigger HTC One with 5.x-inch screen launching soon

HTC is set to launch a bigger HTC One soon, according to people familiar with the matter talking to Pocket-lint.

The new model will feature the same spec underneath the hood as the current HTC One, but will feature a bigger screen in line with what Samsung offers with the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Although our source is currently unable to confirm the exact screen size, they have confirmed that it will be above 5-inches but below 6-inches. The current HTC One features a 4.7-inch screen.

Whooooosh Nexus, I do believe Grrrrr was being sarcastic.

As for S-Off, I believe the One X required the bootloader messing malarkey, but with the One it's perfectly simple. Once you've unlocked it through HTC Dev, going for a custom recovery is straightforward in that one sticks it in fastboot mode, then using fastboot.exe (along with the Android SDK's platform tools) one can flash a custom recovery from Windows. From here on in, it might as well be any other unlocked Android phone, with the exception that you have to visit the bootloader before one can access the recovery. Many custom ROMs put a handy "Reboot to Recovery" option in the power menu too.

Custom ROMs are no different from other phones, in the sense that one fires up their preferred recovery, then flashes the zip as normal (perhaps doing a wipe/clear of the various caches first if coming from a different ROM).

The S-On basically means we can't flash different radios, like with Samsung devices for example. However, from my prior experience this simply resulted in a lot of confusion over which radio was best, and some very poor in-call performance in some, in others, no radio at all. Which was/is a faff. It also means some largely irrelevant directories are write-protected, and not accessible.

I was certainly a little worried about going ahead with rooting this One, but it's as simple (if not more so) than my S3/One X/S2 were. If you're looking to get started, I'm finding that the following combo is working a treat:

Recovery: CWM Touch
Rooted with flyhalf's Superuser​

ROM: Trickdroid 5.5.1
with the relevant Tweaks and Themes packages installed
it also can install the Xposed framework at flash
some lovely statusbar tweaks, including clock positioning and battery icon mods
toggles in the notification blind
more apps in the app drawer per page and per folder
different fonts
option to remove 3 dot menu bar and enable the HTC logo as a menu button​

Kernel: ElementalX
applies a nice overclock, and can be tweaked for underclocking too
Also adds USB OTG support, and game controller support, including the PS3, which I was using earlier on Vice City.
It also adds several wake modes (sweeping the capacitive keys to wake up for example)
allows the capacitive keys to be used as a notification LED)
option to remove 3 dot menu bar and enable the HTC logo as a menu button​

Tweaks: Basil3's clock customisation
Flashable Font pack (using Polentical Neon I believe).

Screenies!

One thing that's very nice about working with Sense ROMs, is that all your settings, homescreen layouts and apps are saved through HTC's backup tool and Dropbox, so even after a fullwipe, firing it back up means you're soon seeing familiar things again :).

Last edited:
Perhaps, he needs to use this ":rolleyes:". Sarcasm is not sarcasm without the rolleyes! :p

hehe, that is a good question orcvader! I wouldn't be surprised if it was one + :o :p

Last edited:
Last edited:
Didn't really keep uptodate with the phone so it may have already been mentioned... but wtf the HTC logo is actually a deactivated button?

Seems crazy they didn't utilize it...

About 2 months ago! :D :p

Not actually a button, developers have adjusted the screen sensitivity near the bottom or something like that, so you have to hit just above the logo.

Back
Top Bottom