***The Official HTC One Thread***

Link what I have said which is leading me to be bias to the one? The only thing I am saying is don't judge the camera/battery by these reviews considering the sites are even saying about it not being final and that there could be room for improvement as I have continuously been proving with all the links etc.

Every thing that reviews and others hate so far, I do too i.e.

- the buttons
- htc logo
- blinkfeed
- photos look like **** when zoomed in/cropped

I have not said that any of those are good or trying to defend them in any way.

And what?! iirc I was posting about how good the N4 camera should be, only too be rather disappointed by the results, although they weren't that bad, it is just that they weren't as good as the GS 3 and one series overall and the majority of users agree. iirc I was also saying the same as what I am now, that it could improve with software updates as iirc the review sites were using units that didn't have final units/final software.

EDIT:

In fact, I am 100% sure that I went looking through the XDA thread for good photos and posted them in the N4 thread here saying something like "wow these shots are impressive"

Not remember it was me who kept hampering on about the battery life being one of the best due to the specs and stock android and yet all the review sites slated it as well as users and I kept saying throughout the thread that it is due to software optimisation, 4.2 is as buggy as anything, wait for a software update and now look at the battery life with 4.2.2, easily the best there is aside from the note ii, razr HD etc.

The nexus 4 camera is not good either due to hardware i.e. sensor/lens etc. or/and software optimisation (stock android has always been pretty poor with regards to camera optimisation i.e. look at the GS 1 and nexus S, same phones but the GS 1 camera was way better)

I have no bias to any company, in fact I am pretty sure that I really slated the sensation and then got called a Samsung fanboy due to that :p Can't win :p

I prefer HTC as a company to the likes of Motorola and Samsung but if their products are crap I have no hesitation of admitting it just like I did with the desire HD and sensation and when comparing the X to the S.

Last edited:
Fact of the matter is, the Lumia 920 can do the low light fancy stuff at 8MP. Why can't the HTC that's released a year or so later? It's not good enough.

Does make you wonder what the camera would be like if they kept the current pixel size but upped the quantity to 8MP

I was right m4rk84! :p

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23100647&highlight=username_Nexus18#post23100647

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23099907&highlight=username_Nexus18#post23099907

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23093808&highlight=username_Nexus18#post23093808

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23101879&highlight=username_Nexus18#post23101879

Amongst other posts being similar.

Only time you could say that I "slated" the nexus 4 camera was when one of the review sites did a comparison to the GS 3 and it really got trounced but then I posted other comparisons where the difference wasn't that big, if any different at all i.e. by phonearena.

Don't base anything on these reviews, take them with a huge pinch of salt.

They are using an old version of 4.2 (seems like a beta, maybe even alpha version.......)

As said many times before, software plays a vital part in everything. In theory the nexus 4 should be very good for everything aside from possibly audio and camera.

Wait for updated reviews or ones, which have the latest version of android and most importantly user reviews.

You don't mention that the camera may improve with software updates once in any of the posts in the thread, which is more what I'm pointing out. Your general sentiment in the N4 thread was basically software may improve the battery however the camera is set in stone.

Yet with the One your leaping in to make sure everyone knows the camera will get better with updates despite there being a very obvious hardware limitation.

Man whatever it's always awkward disagreeing with you on something on here as everyone seems to leap to back you up. I just wanted to give my reasons for why I don't think the camera will improve yet it turns into some kind of big debate. :(

In my opinion your favourable towards HTC, that's the impression you give me in several threads. There's nothing wrong with that might I add. So I just wanted to come in and give my opinion on why the camera on the One won't get better.

There's value in multiple opinions. :)

Last edited:
It's okay, I'm not sure the camera will improve either so we'll have to wait and see.

You can sit and defend any flaw on any phone by saying software updates will fix it but that isn't always what happens. Even if it's improved the 4MP will be a limitation that software can't change.

If it isn't fixed by the GS4 release date then HTC have got real problems in my opinion. The 4MP is putting people off as it is, as soon as they see any negative press about the camera then it's game over!

No phone is perfect, by any means. I know that we all expect perfection in many respects but waiting for that elusive phone isn't going to happen.

On another note over at XDA and on Twitter The Verge are getting some serious backlash for the review.

With some users on XDA even going as far as saying that Samsung paid The Verge for the "bad" review. - That's over the top IMHO.

The review is shoddy though.

Hmm I thought the score and review was fair myself. It scored a full point more then the Xperia Z, ranked higher then the Nexus 4 and the Lumia 920.

What specifically is so wrong with The Verge review? It got an 8.3 that's a pretty damn good score :o

It's nearly up there with the iphone5 which got 8.8 and The Verge are usually pretty favourable to apple.

Last edited:
Two things - Who on earth reviews a pre production model? and saying the battery is useless, having had the phone for two days. You can't base an opinion on having the phone for two days.

If I gave my Nexus 4 or any other phone for that matter only two days to prove itself battery wise then the phone would be sold pronto.

The review is pretty sketchy overall and skims on the software side of things too, not exactly detailed.

Last edited:
The S3 and Note2 both got an 8.5 (bearing in mind the time they were reviewed) so it's a pretty fair score. Even though point scores are generally a bit pointless.

The overall review isn't anything special though, they've rushed it a bit.

I am pretty sure that I did say the camera could improve with an update, cba to look through all my posts though so will just have to agree to disagree on that part :p

I had mixed opinions on the camera as I touched upon in my post there, in some shots it looked very poor, in other shots it looked better and in other reviews/shot, there wasn't much difference, a bit like what it is currently with the htc one.

I haven't said that the one camera will get better without a doubt when it gets the software update or whatever (I am expecting it to be, but that doesn't mean that it will be), I am just saying don't base too much on these reviews as people seem to be thinking that it is written in stone already, when it very well could improve given what has happened in the past with the lumia 920, GS 3 etc. and then all the other wee things

- photographers expecting good things
- HTC making this bold move and then praising it

And the thing is, the HTC one is using better hardware for the camera when you read through all the articles comparing the components to the likes of the lumia 920, GS 3 etc. aside from the MP number, which we have already covered the pros and cons of. IIRC the nexus 4 hardware wasn't using camera hardware quite as good as the GS 3 etc. so naturally if you haven't got the hardware in the first place then no matter how good software optimisation is, that won't change i.e. in the "one's" case, the MP number, you aren't going to get much, if any better quality when you zoom in due to it being a hardware limitation.

Man whatever it's always awkward disagreeing with you on something on here as everyone seems to leap to back you up

Hmm, I wouldn't exactly say that now! :p I have many opinions on stuff, which many people here don't like/agree with and hardly ever see anyone agreeing with me on many points :p :o i.e. camera being improved on the one with software :p

Yup as I said, I prefer HTC as a company and generally prefer their phones overall for the same reasons as others but I am in no way a fanboy of any company/device. If a phone is crap, I will admit it just like I did with said HTC phones and Samsung etc. If a company makes a stupid move, I'll slate them for it and HTC have made many many stupid moves, which are damn annoying. Fair enough, if you think that :)

If the one camera does turn out to be poor and the GS 4 or whatever else comes out is much better overall then I'll probably give the htc one a miss and will have no problems admitting how poor it is.

Yup, that is why I generally don't base too much on reviews that are posted pretty quickly, they just rush them in order to get views etc. = more traffic = more money

Last edited:
The S3 and Note2 both got an 8.5 (bearing in mind the time they were reviewed) so it's a pretty fair score. Even though point scores are generally a bit pointless.

The overall review isn't anything special though, they've rushed it a bit.

The score is quite good, but like you quite rightly said it does come across as rushed.

Two things - Who on earth reviews a pre production model? and saying the battery is useless, having had the phone for two days. You can't base an opinion on having the phone for two days.

If I gave my Nexus 4 or any other phone for that matter only two days to prove itself battery wise then the phone would be sold pronto.

The review is pretty sketchy overall and skims on the software side of things too, not exactly detailed.

Well I mean all the Nexus 4 reviews were on dodgy units too, they have to put out a review on whatever is provided to them it's the same for all review sites.

Remember HTC gives them the units which they are to base the review on. They have to put out a review based on what they get given or they lose internet traffic.

Although I agree it seems a little rushed I would still say the score seems pretty accurate in terms of how good the device seems to be right now.

Is the size of the 920 directly attributed to the sensor size? Either way, they could do better than 4MP, 8MP is surely possible.

The thickness is. The One in theory should provide even better low light shots than the 920 as its pixels are even bigger.

HTC just need to sort the over excited noise/sharpening filter they seem to be using.

The thickness is. The One in theory should provide even better low light shots than the 920 as its pixels are even bigger.

HTC just need to sort the over excited noise/sharpening filter they seem to be using.

The HTC One isn't exactly thin though, I'm sure they could have worked an 8MP sensor in there.

Well I mean all the Nexus 4 reviews were on dodgy units too, they have to put out a review on whatever is provided to them it's the same for all review sites.

Remember HTC gives them the units which they are to base the review on. They have to put out a review based on what they get given or they lose internet traffic.

Although I agree it seems a little rushed I would still say the score seems pretty accurate in terms of how good the device seems to be right now.

The Verge does not do accurate Android reviews, only Apple they deem worthy of spending any effort.

Although they are getting better at stealth trolling Android devices I must admit.

The only thing The Verge thought was dodgy on the Nexus 4 was that it didn't have a LTE Radio, everything else was ok.

They didn't have a problem with the battery life, unfortunately I did (as did many others) when I bought the Nexus 4.

The Verge comment on battery life

theverge_zpsd3acae6c.jpg

The Verge concluding comments

2013-03-11_201054_zps66be1f95.jpg

HTC also passed around review units to bloggers around the world but they written a full on review and published their findings. The Verge it seems has wanted to be the first to get a review out and quite rightly so have been slated in the process.

Last edited:
The Verge does not do accurate Android reviews, only Apple they deem worthy of spending any effort.

Although they are getting better at stealth trolling Android devices I must admit.

That is what everyone else says and I'm of the same opinion. They are very sneaky at dissing Android phones.

I think that's a bit harsh on The Verge, yes some of their reviews aren't as good as they should be, but they're generally favourable when it comes to decent Android phones.

Note 2 and S3: 8.5
HTC One X: 8.4
HTC One S: 8.1
HTC EVO 4G LTE: 8.4
LG Optimus 4X HD: 8.1
LG Optimus G: 8.3
Nexus 4: 8.3

I think a lot of the stick they get is purely down to the iPhone 5 having the best score (8.8). :p

Back
Top Bottom