***The Official HTC One Thread***

Onscreen is not the problem - I prefer them offscreen.

Its the layout and the lack of multitask button - Instead we get a useless HTC logo plonked in the middle and have to do the riverdance with our fingers to get multitask. No menu shortcut either so you might get the massive 3dot menu bar in some apps.

All an unnecessary faff just because HTC are incompetent fools that just like to mess with everything.

Ah I see. Yeah it was strange how it turned out the HTC logo wasn't actually a button at all. It means that at whatever design meetings they had, they must have all agreed that that was the best possible place to have the logo (or that they needed to have it on the front fascia at all), which is puzzling.

And yeah the 3 dot menu... I guess with off screen buttons, still occasionally then needing the 3 dot menu ON screen as well must seem really counter intuitive. Hmm HTC!

Its the layout and the lack of multitask button - Instead we get a useless HTC logo plonked in the middle and have to do the riverdance with our fingers to get multitask. No menu shortcut either so you might get the massive 3dot menu bar in some apps.

This, although personally don't mind it taking an extra touch/click to bring the other stuff up. I just hate the look/design of it and there was no reason to change it.

Although it has been supposedly confirmed that there is an tweak/option to set the return key to bring the menu up when double tapped. Apparently the guy who said there wasn't was using a unit running old software.

The 3 dot menu button will be a deal breaker for me if they don't/haven't got that tweak, annoyed me so much on my S till they included the tweak to remove and set the menu button to when you hold the MT window button.

Last edited:
Instead we get a useless HTC logo plonked in the middle and have to do the riverdance with our fingers to get multitask. No menu shortcut either so you might get the massive 3dot menu bar in some apps.
This is one of the things that will be putting me off the htc one...

Not so much the fact that it causes problems or requires extra work but just because I cannot comprehend the meeting they sat in where they decided this button/logo layout was in any way acceptable, never-mind good.

Camera and zoe has me super excited though.

All this fuss over the camera!

Jeez, I just don't get it!

If I want brilliant pictures that I can print in a massive format, then 'll use my Bridge Camera. Usually, I know if I want to take photo's of this standard.

But if I was out and about with family/friends at a pub/foody place, then this new cam (on my phone, which I always have on me) should provide me with great pics in darker conditions without much faff. Most of the time, people use their phone to take pics and post them to FB/Twitter or what not. This is where the cam will really help. How often do we see really crap, blurry, dark messes of photos on our social media sites?

This is what HTC are thinking about with this new sensor. It's about sharing what you see (most commonly on social media sites), and for this it should be excellent. Honestly, who's going to bring an SLR to the local Beefeater for a family meal?

At first there wasn't but with a update they allowed it so that when you held down on the MT capacitive button it would launch the menu and when you tap, it brings the MT window up or vice versa thus it got rid of the 3 dot menu button on the bottom of the screen.

currently the only option HTC has is to do the following:

- double tap on return to bring the menu key up
- introduce some on screen gesture to bring the menu up

As the home button currently works like this:

- hold down and google now/search launches
- double tap and it launches the MT window

Having never used previous HTC phones, what was the deal with this before? Was there any way to customise long presses/multiple taps of the hard buttons at all?
You can solve it with a custom rom but at stock:

The phone hardware or rom developers tell the android system that the phone has X,Y & Z buttons telling any program or the system ui which soft buttons to show on screen. In the case of the HTC One X and other One phones every button was there except the menu button.

This meant that if a program said it required a menu button to be shown the full nav bar was shown at the bottom of the screen, much like phones that have no hard buttons at all. However because the hardware or rom is telling the android system that all of the other buttons exist the bar contains only a solitary "3 dots" button.

Originally there was no work-around so programs and features which requested this just wasted screen space for a soft button which was sometimes no problem and others just annoying.

HTC did push out an update quite recently which added the ability in the system settings to disable this button. Enabling this option would tell programs that the phone had this hardware button and the "menu" function was added as a long press of the recent apps button.

Knowing that this problem was acknowledged and fixed by HTC in a previous version of Android and on a previous phone, the mind would boggle if this problem were to rear it's head on the HTC ONE.

Also see exhibit A:
863654589.png

[SKR]Phoenix;23920091 said:
How often do we see really crap, blurry, dark messes of photos on our social media sites?
EVERY TEN SECONDS!!

Last edited:
Having never used previous HTC phones, what was the deal with this before? Was there any way to customise long presses/multiple taps of the hard buttons at all?

As people have explained above, you had a black bar along the bottom of the screen. It was awful. Quite possibly one of the worst software 'designs/problems' I've ever seen.

[SKR]Phoenix;23920091 said:
All this fuss over the camera!

Jeez, I just don't get it!

If I want brilliant pictures that I can print in a massive format, then 'll use my Bridge Camera. Usually, I know if I want to take photo's of this standard.

But if I was out and about with family/friends at a pub/foody place, then this new cam (on my phone, which I always have on me) should provide me with great pics in darker conditions without much faff. Most of the time, people use their phone to take pics and post them to FB/Twitter or what not. This is where the cam will really help. How often do we see really crap, blurry, dark messes of photos on our social media sites?

This is what HTC are thinking about with this new sensor. It's about sharing what you see (most commonly on social media sites), and for this it should be excellent. Honestly, who's going to bring an SLR to the local Beefeater for a family meal?

Not everyone wants to accept mediocrity/no improvement. If everyone takes this attitude then nothing improves. That is what I don't understand.

Knowing that this problem was acknowledged and fixed by HTC in a previous version of Android and on a previous phone, the mind would boggle if this problem were to rear it's head on the HTC ONE

Well I guess this sounds hopeful... We hope... But yeah, losing a button altogether now makes options even more limited :/

As people have explained above, you had a black bar along the bottom of the screen. It was awful. Quite possibly one of the worst software 'designs/problems' I've ever seen.

Not everyone wants to accept mediocrity/no improvement. If everyone takes this attitude then nothing improves. That is what I don't understand.

But to improve the low-light performance you need a physically bigger sensor, which usuaully ends up being a bigger overall phone. Christ, the size jump from the One from my Sensation is already big enough. Any bigger and the Note actually because a contender for me. I don't want a massive phone. I want something I am comfortable with, that gives me good low light performance (yes, at the expense of MP). This generally is fine as I use my phone to capture that spur of the moment image, often in darker area's, which I can then instantly share with my family and friends.

Sure, I can't then print that A3 and above, but then I wouldn't print the same picture from a 13mp camera phone either because it will be a dark, noisy mess!

It would be wonderfull to have this "Megapixel" tech with 8mp or more, but right now that isn't happening without making the sensor bigger, which I really don't want.

You might not agree, but I think most phone camera's are used for sharing pictures on FB/Twitter these days more than anything. Which is why HTC has decided to go down this route. When you see a picture on FB in the feed, it's about 200 pixels wide, so whats better? A clear, easy to see picture, or a mess of blotches, with no detail and blurry faces? Ok, click it... how big is that picture now? Not even 4MP!

Seriously, if you are keen on getting good pics everywhere you go, take a damn camera!

Last edited:
[SKR]Phoenix;23920216 said:
But to improve the low-light performance you need a physically bigger sensor, which usuaully ends up being a bigger overall phone. Christ, the size jump from the One from my Sensation is already big enough. Any bigger and the Note actually because a contender for me. I don't want a massive phone. I want something I am comfortable with, that gives me good low light performance (yes, at the expense of MP). This generally is fine as I use my phone to capture that spur of the moment image, often in darker area's, which I can then instantly share with my family and friends.

Sure, I can't then print that A3 and above, but then I wouldn't print the same picture from a 13mp camera phone either because it will be a dark, noisy mess!

It would be wonderfull to have this "Megapixel" tech with 8mp or more, but right now that isn't happening without making the sensor bigger, which I really don't want.

You might not agree, but I think most phone camera's are used for sharing pictures on FB/Twitter these days more than anything. Which is why HTC has decided to go down this route. When you see a picture on FB in the feed, it's about 200 pixels wide, so whats better? A clear, easy to see picture, or a mess of blotches, with no detail and blurry faces? Ok, click it... how big is that picture now? Not even 4MP!

Seriously, if you are keen of getting good pics everywhere you go, take a damn camera!

I understand what you're saying, but the Lumia 920 has the technology and that's a last gen phone, HTC have just chopped it in half and the results likely won't be as good...

We can and should expect more. I certainly don't want a camera that's slightly better in low light but worse in all other conditions. That's a downgrade. I would rather they just kept the camera as it was in the One X, rather than gimping the megapixel amount but granting better low light shots (that still aren't really great).

You're trying to justify it, but can't really. It's no good saying "well it's fine the camera is worse as my dark pictures will look a bit better..." that's not an improvement.

I guess it depends whether you take pictures in the dark, or the light. The latter looks ten times as good regardless of low light tech.

The best camera is the one you have on you - therefore we want it to be as good as possible. If we lived on a planet with no sun, you'd have more of a point. :p

As long as the HTC one can produce at least the same quality for colours/clarity as the one S/X i.e.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23343275&highlight=username_Nexus18#post23343275

And those were taken before the sense V4+ update, which improved the camera even further.

but improve vastly for low lit/night shots amongst other wee things like faster focus, smoother video (which looks like it is so far), better photos when you have bright light shining on white/bright objects then I will be more than happy with the camera.

The only thing, which HTC have done with regards to the camera that is worse than the comp. is the MP, everything else is more or less the same as the lumia 920. The only area(s) where the higher MP will be "a lot" more noticeable is:

- when you zoom in/crop
- view on a high res. panel
- print a photo out on a large bit of paper

Again, here is break down on the camera hardware:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-...technical-comparison_id40042#8-Nexus-4-sample

So it has the potential to be as good as the lumia 920, if not better, depending on the scenarios/conditions.

Just like I said about the nexus 4 with regards to battery life improving, I am expecting the camera to improve with a software update as in theory the hardware is there. As to when that update comes, will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm not writing it off at all at the moment. As I've already said it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally.

However, forgetting the phone, we should never just 'settle' for technology as it is; otherwise nothing will improve at any great pace.

For as long as I can remember people have always popped up like the chap above and said things like "just take a proper camera etc etc" which is utter nonsense and since then, phone cameras have improved massively. They can improve a lot more, too.

I agree! There is always room for improvement although imo the cameras on the phones in the last year or two have been outstanding aside from things like low lit scenarios colour balance amongst other little things and you really do struggle to imagine just how much better they can get without hurting the profile of the phone i.e. the nokia pureview, great photos but is far too thick and heavy to use as a daily phone imo. I don't think we are going to get much better quality overall from a phone camera until they can cut the size down etc.

The only thing I am begging some company to do is bring 720P/1080P HD slow motion recording! :p :(

Back
Top Bottom