***The Official HTC One Thread***

I think to be honest that if the main gripe most anyone seem to have with the One is it's camera then that's saying a lot about the rest being pretty damn sweet!

I don't think I've ever used camera phone photos anywhere apart from than on the usual social networking sites and to show people on the phone itself so it doesn't move me either way whether at 100% crop it's a fuzzy mess as long as it looks sweet on the phone :)

I think that's a bit harsh on The Verge, yes some of their reviews aren't as good as they should be, but they're generally favourable when it comes to decent Android phones.

Note 2 and S3: 8.5
HTC One X: 8.4
HTC One S: 8.1
HTC EVO 4G LTE: 8.4
LG Optimus 4X HD: 8.1
LG Optimus G: 8.3
Nexus 4: 8.3

I think a lot of the stick they get is purely down to the iPhone 5 having the best score (8.8). :p

When you break it down like the above then yes I admit it is rather harsh, but what's with the iPhone 5 having the best score?! After all it's only an enlarged iPhone 4S! :p

Is the size of the 920 directly attributed to the sensor size? Either way, they could do better than 4MP, 8MP is surely possible.

Apparently it's the optical image stabilisation system, but I think Nokia just build a **** heavy/big phone. :D The HTC system is smaller but less effective.

The HTC One isn't exactly thin though, I'm sure they could have worked an 8MP sensor in there.

It's actually the same size sensor as most 8MP designs like the Lumia 920, iPhone 5, HOS, GS3 etc (1/3.2" with 1.4 micron pixels) The N8 and 808 are the ones with big sensors.

I think that's a bit harsh on The Verge, yes some of their reviews aren't as good as they should be, but they're generally favourable when it comes to decent Android phones.

Note 2 and S3: 8.5
HTC One X: 8.4
HTC One S: 8.1
HTC EVO 4G LTE: 8.4
LG Optimus 4X HD: 8.1
LG Optimus G: 8.3
Nexus 4: 8.3

I think a lot of the stick they get is purely down to the iPhone 5 having the best score (8.8). :p

They always make sure the Android stuff does not score a higher score than the precious....

Is this still going to be released on the 15th?

Who knows! There's all sorts of rumours floating about from it being available from April 2nd to the end of May, delays due to production problems.

We'll find out soon, only a few days left.

I'd go with Clove and Handtec and they both say the 15th and 14th of March respectively, they're both usually spot on.

When you break it down like the above then yes I admit it is rather harsh, but what's with the iPhone 5 having the best score?! After all it's only an enlarged iPhone 4S! :p

Well, most of the phones have different reviewers as well so perspective is going to enter into it.

However, Josh Topolsky reviewed the Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 himself, and also in the same time period so the scores in that sense are quite far apart (8.3 and 8.8).

I think you can easily make the argument the iPhone 5 is (until now) the best overall phone; but if you hate iOS and want a massive screen that immediately rules it out. As you can see, it's all about perspective in this kind of situation.

The Verge reviews, unlike GSMArena and Anandtech are more 'generalised' and focus on the general use of the phone and its features, instead of an extremely detailed break down and analysis of all the individual features. This probably counts towards the iPhone getting such a good score as from a general perspective it's very very good.

Apparently it's the optical image stabilisation system, but I think Nokia just build a **** heavy/big phone. :D The HTC system is smaller but less effective.

It's actually the same size sensor as most 8MP designs like the Lumia 920, iPhone 5, HOS, GS3 etc (1/3.2" with 1.4 micron pixels) The N8 and 808 are the ones with big sensors.

It should be 8MP then. I can't call this anything other than a mistake on HTC's part. Not that it will put me off as long as the camera is decent enough which it seems to be.

Is this still going to be released on the 15th?

It's meant to be... but no retailers are saying anything. :confused:

Well, most of the phones have different reviewers as well so perspective is going to enter into it.

However, Josh Topolsky reviewed the Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 himself, and also in the same time period so the scores in that sense are quite far apart (8.3 and 8.8).

I think you can easily make the argument the iPhone 5 is (until now) the best overall phone; but if you hate iOS and want a massive screen that immediately rules it out. As you can see, it's all about perspective in this kind of situation.

The Verge reviews, unlike GSMArena and Anandtech are more 'generalised' and focus on the general use of the phone and its features, instead of an extremely detailed break down and analysis of all the individual features. This probably counts towards the iPhone getting such a good score as from a general perspective it's very very good.

I fall into that category (hate iOS and want a massive screen!) and immediately discounted the iphone! :p:eek:

Yes I agree it is all about perspective, there's no such thing as a perfect phone and there will never be. Josh Topolsky was in a unique position to review two flagship devices.

The Verge caters for people who just want to dip into the tech world and get a general overview, a feel for a device.

Whereas people who frequent this forum and XDA love GSMarena and Anandtech and really like the detailed break down of devices. :D

The only thing, which I am really disappointed with so far is the design/look of the front, not that it isn't bad, but it is a step down from the one S/X, every time I pick my S up, I just admire the design so much :p :o Really wish they had kept a similar design but:

- got rid of those plastic caps on the bottom and top
- be a bit more ergonomic/rounded with the curves on the edges
- have the capacitive buttons only show when the screen is turned on
- thinner bezel at the top and a wee bit thinner at the bottom
- increase the screen size to 4.7"
- Bring forward the front camera a bit and place glass or something over it to make it a bit more flush with the rest of the front
- use the back design of the one with regards to the camera lens and flash

Not sure how they could incorporate the front speakers though :p

It should be 8MP then. I can't call this anything other than a mistake on HTC's part. Not that it will put me off as long as the camera is decent enough which it seems to be.

It's meant to be... but no retailers are saying anything. :confused:

The pixels are 2.0 microns on the One hence the 4mp sensor is the same size as other 8mp sensors.

The pixels are 2.0 microns on the One hence the 4mp sensor is the same size as other 8mp sensors.

Okay, but that doesn't seem to be giving any benefit, the 920 seems a lot better... so why might that be?

If they've got the same technology, they should have just set up the camera in the same fashion as the 920.

If that sensor was in the Iphone 5.5 or something it would be hailed as the second coming of Christ. :p

I don't see the relevance of this. If the pictures looked the same as they do now then the reaction (here) would be the same.

HTC have tried to paint this camera as something really special when so far that doesn't appear to be the case. At this point it seems like they'd have been better off sticking with the camera on the One S/X.

I appreciate what they've tried to do, but when you're in a weak market position people aren't going to listen to all the 'Ultrapixel' stuff.

To be fair all that was missing as in all phone cameras apart from lumia 920 is better low light situations and that is something they have done and going by the pics posted on xda they look pretty decent to me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2169626

In regards to Ultrapixel I can imagine if apple marketed it everyone would rave on about it, same with all the stuff they market the crap out of.

Its a bit of a trade off - good low light performance but not as sharp as a 8MP+ shooter.

Just watched the verge video review and I really like the design of the back and sides. Front is nice but needed a bit less bezel.

The nav buttons are still a horrendous mistake - I mean why?

Apple did give the camera a 'name', iSight. I've never heard anyone refer to it as that though.

Besides, comparing HTC and Apple in marketing terms is like comparing Vauxhall with Rolls-Royce. :p

Just wait to see what is what with the final unit/software and if it still crap, then **** away :p and I'll join in! :p

As I posted before, before and after update on lumia 920:

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-improves-lumia-920-camera-comparison

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/17/lumia-920-camera-fix/

If the photo quality on the lumia 920 can improve that much and the HTC one has more or less the same hardware, then why can't it improve with a software update?

Taken from android central:

As a huge camera geek as well as smartphone geek, the amount of misinformation about the "Ultrapixel" sensor is really annoying me. I just wanted to post to clear somethings up.

Assertion 1: Megapixels don't matter

This is true to a point. For the vast majority of users, 4 MP is enough for a smartphone. You're probably going to downscale the image to post online anyhow. Even a 1:1 pixel image on a relatively big monitor is 1920x1200. That's about 2MP. Unless you're going to print these on paper at a big size, the MP don't matter much. That is, unless you plan to crop your images a lot. Then you may notice it.

Assertion 2: Bigger pixels (Ultrapixels) collect more light, hence they have less noise

While it is true that a bigger pixel will collect more light and have less noise than a similar small pixel, this is noise at the PIXEL-LEVEL. So if you view your images enlarged to a 1:1 ratio on your monitor, the 4 MP of the HTC One camera will look cleaner than the center 4 MP out of the 13 MP of a Sony Experia Z. However, we don't view pictures like this. We view images as a whole. If you have an image sensor the same overall size as the HTC One's with the same everything but split into more pixels, the resulting image should look very close to the HTC One's once you scale the image down to 4MP. It is not a fair comparison to compare at the pixel level without scaling because then you're comparing only the part of the image that fell on a fraction of the higher MP sensor. (Note, higher MP counts DO make a difference when scaled, but not by much. It also depends on how the imaging portion of the sensor scales with non-imaging circuitry.)

Assertion 3: The image quality of the HTC One will be superior to the current smartphones

If you don't need images of more than 4MP, this is true. And it's not really because of how big those pixels are. It's all about good Signal to Noise ratio. and the HTC One has many things in its advantage. First, the sensor is overall bigger. It is 1/3" sized instead of 1/3.2" like the iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S 3. A bigger sensor means you can collect more light. Secondly, the lens is a F/2.0 lens versus the F/2.4 of the iPhone or F/2.6 of the GS3. That means half a stop more light entering due to a larger aperture. (A one stop increase is equivalent to double the light.) Thirdly, HTC is touting an image processor with low read noise. That means they can turn up the ISO sensitivity with less noise. And finally, the HTC One sports optical image stabilization. That means it should be able to use a longer exposure time while remaining sharp. Of course, that's for relative static subjects. All four of these contribute to a higher S/N ratio, so less noisy pictures.

In conclusion, I'm very excited about the possibilities with the HTC One camera. But not because of the "ultrapixels." It's because of the sensor size, fast lens, low read noise, and image stabilizer. Actualy, it shares a lot of specs with the Nokia Lumia 920. 1/3" sensor, F/2.0 lens, and Optical Image Stabilization. I'm hoping quality is at least on par with that.

Amongst other photographer "geeks" saying similar.

As for the hardware of the camera:

HTC One vs Nokia Lumia 920 vs 808 PureView: technical comparison

Last edited:
What's the problem with the nav buttons? I know they're not on screen, but surely that's better as they don't take up screen space? Or am I missing something...

Onscreen is not the problem - I prefer them offscreen.

Its the layout and the lack of multitask button - Instead we get a useless HTC logo plonked in the middle and have to do the riverdance with our fingers to get multitask. No menu shortcut either so you might get the massive 3dot menu bar in some apps.

All an unnecessary faff just because HTC are incompetent fools that just like to mess with everything.

Back
Top Bottom