• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Now that Ed Balls out of the picture, Yevette Cooper maybe a player in the leadership contest.

They need someone completely new, they tried this in Scotland with Jim Murphy coming in but the electorate here knew he was old labour and trod on him.

IMHO they need unknowns to come in and focus on the 2025 election.

Soldato
I'm curious what the confounding factors were. Combination of shy Tory voters, last minute undecided voters going Tory, and UKIP-leaning Tories staying Tory compared to Labour-leaning, perhaps.

I think another issue is the tory vote turns out. Many Labour supporters say they'll vote Labour, but don't turn up on polling day because they place less importance on politics.

Soldato
Min wage is on the rise as well as tax free allowance, essentially if your in work your going to be better off.

Everyone is worse off from the last government, a minimum wage increase (a policy stolen from the Lib Dems IIRC) will come nowhere near undoing the economic damage from austerity.

I think another issue is the tory vote turns out. Many Labour supporters say they'll vote Labour, but don't turn up on polling day because they place less importance on politics.

Perhaps. They say the elderly are the most reliable voters and tend to vote Tory.

Soldato
The one which will effect us most is more public spending cuts than the last parliament.

you thought this would be any different if Labour got in?

Since the cuts in the previous made every household about 5 grand poorer and has made us one of the slowest recovering economies in developed world, it's a big problem IMO.

Yes I agree people have been worse off (if wouldn't be called a recession would it) but slowest recovering economy? What planet are you on?

Caporegime
Everyone is worse off from the last government, a minimum wage increase (a policy stolen from the Lib Dems IIRC) will come nowhere near undoing the economic damage from austerity.

Perhaps. They say the elderly are the most reliable voters and tend to vote Tory.

'Everyone'.

Well, i'm not, so that's the end of that.

Caporegime
Nigel is talking...like he has an plan?

His plan is to find the nearest boozer and start downing pints while ripping off some cringeworthy anecdotes, as if nothing has happened.

'So I was in this pub with a chap—you know, a good old fashioned English pub, like the ones we used to have before the EEC—and the chap says to me, "Nigel, for heavens sake what are we going to do about the wig-****?", and I said "Why don't we just shove them all in Wales, where nobody will notice?" Ahahahahahahahahahahah! How we laughed... So anyway, that's now our immigration policy.'

:D

So if Farage doesn’t win, Cameron will have claimed THREE Leaders’ scalps. Has that ever happened before?

Cameron has become Death, the destroyer of worlds!

:eek:

Soldato
AV wasnt a PR system. I would have voted Yes for a PR system but couldnt vote yes for AV.

I'd like a retrospective prediction of this year's results if we'd had AV. I would guess it would be substantially different - UKIPers, Greens, and Lib Dem fans could second a main party for example.

Associate

The damage that keeps saying the economy is improving.

Blah blah labour line the people are not feeling it.

Soldato
They need someone completely new, they tried this in Scotland with Jim Murphy coming in but the electorate here knew he was old labour and trod on him.

IMHO they need unknowns to come in and focus on the 2025 election.

I do agree they need someone completely new, a blank slate, if only there are proper representation of someone from a working class background with charisma and policies to back, but unfortunately in the world of FT Politician, it's impossible to be within unless you're of the Oxbridge/Eton type background.

Also, 2025? You either did that as a typo or you sincerely believe Labour have no chance for at least another 2 elections?

Man of Honour
I'd like a retrospective prediction of this year's results if we'd had AV. I would guess it would be substantially different - UKIPers, Greens, and Lib Dem fans could second a main party for example.

It would likely be a con walk over, with majority of ukip going Tory.

Caporegime
Now that Ed Balls out of the picture, Yevette Cooper maybe a player in the leadership contest.

If they've learnt anything about the Miliband Saga is, the electioneering needs an X Factor scale in it (screw the policies!) and she will ticks the box for looks, gender and story. Negative would be, she might as well rename the New Labour Party Lory (Labour/Tory).

Yvette Cooper? Looks?!

Soldato
Can some one explain why Tory have kept a lot of votes considering food banks usage are at the highest they've ever been with zero hour contracts on the rise and bedroom tax hitting the poorest people in society.

Have people been convinced by murdochs media elite?

Because foodbank visits and zero hours contracts aren't really measures anything meaningful, merely straws at which the Labour party were clutching in lieu of any proper policies, which is why they've just taken a shoeing.

Soldato
you thought this would be any different if Labour got in?

Yes I agree people have been worse off (if wouldn't be called a recession would it) but slowest recovering economy? What planet are you on?

Labour said they'd cut less and more slowly.

Austerity harmed the recovery, not the recession post-bailout. The link below is a really nice light overview of the economics if you'd care to learn more.

http://benjaminstudebaker.com/2015/05/02/britain-for-the-love-of-god-please-stop-david-cameron/

The Torys will resume cutting this parliament and we will continue to struggle on the global stage.

Soldato
Can some one explain why Tory have kept a lot of votes considering food banks usage are at the highest they've ever been with zero hour contracts on the rise and bedroom tax hitting the poorest people in society.

Have people been convinced by murdochs media elite?

Because the reality of the situation doesnt reflect what the media of either side portray.

If you put party alliances aside both parties have done gone and bad in the past, its just how much bad or good effects how many people.

A poster has already mentioned, "I'm all right jack" and to an extent he is right, people are not going to vote for something that negatively effects them

Unfortunately for labour, not enough people are feeling bad about things at the moment to warrant a change.

Caporegime
His plan is to find the nearest boozer and start downing pints while ripping off some cringeworthy anecdotes, as if nothing has happened.

'So I was in this pub with a chap—you know, a good old fashioned English pub, like the ones we used to have before the EEC—and the chap says to me, "Nigel, for heavens sake what are we going to do about the wig-****?", and I said "Why don't we just shove them all in Wales, where nobody will notice?" Ahahahahahahahahahahah! How we laughed... So anyway, that's now our immigration policy.'

:D

Hilarious.

Soldato
Some thoughts:

1. Polls seem worthless now that minority parties are sucking up an increasing number of votes

2. Pleased UKIP have failed to gain more seats

3. ..... But am hoping the fact that they are the third biggest party by votes, but will have just one MP helps to push for electoral reform. Much as I don't subscribe to their ideals, it's just not democratic that they are rewarded with so little influence after such a high share of the vote.

4. Disappointed with the death of the Lib Dems. We're now without a socially liberal voice representing England in the HoC. Expect this to result in more absurd conservative (small "c") policies.

5. .....But at least SNP's huge result means there is still a sizeable progressive voice in the Commons, albeit a Scottish one.

6. On the other hand, SNP's near clean-sweep means that the 50% of voting Scots who didn't select SNP are almost entirely unrepresented in parliament. That's not democratic.

7. Farage did a great job. For the sake of keeping a proper right-wing representation I hope he doesn't step down. Again, I'm not a UKIP fan at all, but I think they are a positive presence. I just wish there was a decent radical left-wing counter balance.

Back
Top Bottom