Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Don
Since the cuts in the previous made every household about 5 grand poorer

Pretty sure most people would notice 5k - or is this just another made up figure?

Can some one explain why Tory have kept a lot of votes considering food banks usage are at the highest they've ever been with zero hour contracts on the rise and bedroom tax hitting the poorest people in society.

Because maybe some people are actually feeling better off under a Tory government? I certainly don't feel any worse off.

Or perhaps people voted Tory, to avoid any of the potentially worse options e.g. a Weak Labour propped up by the SNP.

Soldato
The damage that keeps saying the economy is improving.

Blah blah labour line the people are not feeling it.

Of course it's improving, just several times slower than if we'd done what the USA and Germany did and stimulated the economy rather than strangling it. See my link a few posts above.

Soldato
Because foodbank visits and zero hours contracts aren't really measures anything meaningful, merely straws at which the Labour party were clutching in lieu of any proper policies, which is why they've just taken a shoeing.

I know a single home owning person that earns over £30k a year and he regularly visits food banks and claims poverty. So I wouldn't take number of foodbank visits as gospel as people are proven arses

Soldato
I do agree they need someone completely new, a blank slate, if only there are proper representation of someone from a working class background with charisma and policies to back, but unfortunately in the world of FT Politician, it's impossible to be within unless you're of the Oxbridge/Eton type background.

Also, 2025? You either did that as a typo or you sincerely believe Labour have no chance for at least another 2 elections?

Honestly I don't think they've any chance in 2020, but they may in 2025. Main reason is their grass roots supporters have thinned out. They've lost a huge amount of support in Scotland which they use to rely on and in England they've made absolutely no headway over all.

I suspect whoever comes out as leader now will lose the 2020 election and we'll see a member of their shadow cabinet step up for a decent shot at the 2025 one.

Soldato
'Everyone'.

Well, i'm not, so that's the end of that.

Well, I'm far better off than 5 years ago as well, but that has nothing to do with the last coalitions policies either and will likely be unaffected by future Tory policies - apart from say a VAT rise, as I am not entitled to any benefits or state support.

Doesn't mean I agree with the way they have acted on the economy and where they are putting all the cuts and i fear for a lot of people with the future benefit cuts.

Caporegime
Honestly I don't think they've any chance in 2020, but they may in 2025. Main reason is their grass roots supporters have thinned out. They've lost a huge amount of support in Scotland which they use to rely on and in England they've made absolutely no headway over all.

I suspect whoever comes out as leader now will lose the 2015 one and we'll see a member of their shadow cabinet step up for a decent shot at the 2025 one.

Likely they will focus less on Scotland, as doing that would be rather insurmountable and lose even more English seats.

Soldato
Labour said they'd cut less and more slowly.

Austerity harmed the recovery, not the recession post-bailout. The link below is a really nice light overview of the economics if you'd care to learn more.

http://benjaminstudebaker.com/2015/05/02/britain-for-the-love-of-god-please-stop-david-cameron/

The Torys will resume cutting this parliament and we will continue to struggle on the global stage.

Another economist that thinks he know what could have happened. If asked this before on this forum so here it is again,

We are one of the fastest recovering economies in Europe with the current austerity measures applied. So we have made the cuts in the deficit and grown the economy at a decent rate. Are you arguing that we shouldn't have cut the deficit and grown quicker - I think we have had a good balance myself based on factual real life data we have today rather than guess work of what could have happened.

Remember like stats you can make them look in favour of your argument just like posting a link to an economist. I'm sure there are other economists out there with the complete opposite view.

Soldato
Dam it I wanted to see a CON-LIB-SNP coalition Cameron get the boot and Boris running the show. But seriously the turnout has been awful again and I can't believe these are the people British politics have to offer.

Caporegime
You mean those who didn't vote Tory?

They have at least some representation by the Labour, Lib Dem etc seats. Less so for UKIP or Green voters - I touched on that in one of my earlier points.

Scotland has nothing but SNP (more or less)

Are you saying we are better represented by the morons in Labour?

Cause that is clearly antithetic to the truth.

Back
Top Bottom