• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
6. On the other hand, SNP's near clean-sweep means that the 50% of voting Scots who didn't select SNP are almost entirely unrepresented in parliament. That's not democratic.

Why is it not democratic? 2005 Labour had less than 40% of votes in Scotland and the SNP were THIRD.

Soldato
Can some one explain why Tory have kept a lot of votes considering food banks usage are at the highest they've ever been with zero hour contracts on the rise and bedroom tax hitting the poorest people in society.

Food banks: usage has risen because Labour put caps on their usage in order to look good.

Zero hour contracts: Are actually a very good thing for employers and employees, my mother was on a ZH contract with the NHS in the 90's while I was in school and it was great for her. The problem is some employers abusing the system and using ZH contracts when they should have employees on another type of contract. Scrapping ZH contracts would have been a major brain fart and was one of Labour's worst plans.

Bedroom tax: Doesn't actually exist, it's a phrase the media made up to refer to the fact people who are over occupying (living in a much bigger house than they need) get a reduction in their housing benefit.

Soldato
Everyone is worse off from the last government, a minimum wage increase (a policy stolen from the Lib Dems IIRC) will come nowhere near undoing the economic damage from austerity.

Perhaps. They say the elderly are the most reliable voters and tend to vote Tory.

Can you quantify that? as personally I'm better off than a few years ago having not had a pay rise in 3 years.

Food banks are an interesting subject, they enable the less responsible to put less emphasis on there food shopping. (generalising there, im under no illusion that people do not need food banks) however would the same people who now use food banks have used a soup kitchen a few years back or would the stigma attached to the soup kitchen have put them off.

Soldato
Are you saying we are better represented by the morons in Labour?

Cause that is clearly antithetic to the truth.

Scotland voted for a clear out of Scottish labour, they'll swing back again if Labour do that and get rid of the stale ex-MPs and candidates they put up this year. Like it or not most of the electorate in Scotland consider themselves British too and aren't nationalists in the hard-nut SNP sense, they will never vote to leave the UK and will happily vote for labour if the SNP screw around in Westminster. The SNP have an opportunity here, they should consider it at test.

Caporegime
Well, I'm far better off than 5 years ago as well, but that has nothing to do with the last coalitions policies either and will likely be unaffected by future Tory policies - apart from say a VAT rise, as I am not entitled to any benefits or state support.

Doesn't mean I agree with the way they have acted on the economy and where they are putting all the cuts and i fear for a lot of people with the future benefit cuts.

I'm not entitled to any benefits or state support either. I've benefited from the last coalitions policies, to the point that i'm better off now than i've ever been. Even the change in stamp duty came in at a perfect time, so that's a fairly large saving i've made right away.

For someone to say 'Everyone is worse off' is just wrong.

Soldato
We are one of the fastest recovering economies in Europe with the current austerity measures applied. So we have made the cuts in the deficit and grown the economy at a decent rate. Are you arguing that we shouldn't have cut the deficit and grown quicker - I think we have had a good balance myself based on factual real life data we have today rather than guess work of what could have happened.

We were the fastest growing, until the figures were recently revised downwards

You do realise Osborne stopped the austerity plan about 2 years in because the economy was tanking and went back to borrowing and spending, hence the growth spurt we did get.

Back
Top Bottom