Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Me too. The system is broken.

The SNP will get 56 MPs with 5% of the popular vote. UKIP and the Lib Dems have less than 10 MPs between them and they have polled 20%+ nationally.

The system we have now encourages parties to focus on a geographical area using divisive politics. I expect to see much more of it unless we get electoral reform. It's no way to run a country.

SNP vote is concentrated, I've been saying for weeks that the UKIP and Lib dem vote is too spread out. Tories will have over 50% of the seats but less than 40% of the vote.

However the SNP have over 50% of the vote in Scotland, so you could argue that it's a correct result for them, it's the other numbers which are screwed a bit due to party support being very spread out.

Heck look at NI, DUP have 44.4% of the seats on 25% of the vote.. Why focus on Scotland when it's arguably the only area of the UK with a representative outcome?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I'm glad to see con->ukip ship jumper Mark Reckless gone in my area, but I bet Farage camp will shortly blame foreigners voting against them for the crushing defeat in what they presumed to be "strongholds".

Associate
Farage although he's charismatic might have done UKIP a favour by stepping down because a new face and slightly different direction could do wonders.

Caporegime
Genuinely heart broken at another four years of the Conservatives. I think it will mean the end of the NHS as we know it to be honest, and many other services.

Sad to see Ed resign, always came across as a good bloke. Fantastic to see fascist Farage get nothing out of the election.

Personally, all this speeds up my plans to move away from Britain.

Remind me, who was it who introduced privatisation to the NHS?

Ahh! That's right, the party your supposed good bloke Milliband is soon to be the former leader of!

The same party who have made such a monumental **** up of the NHS in Wales (never mind what happened under them in Stafford!)

Having - unfortunately - needed rather a lot of the NHS in recent years, I'm extremely relieved that we will have a strong credible government who will continue to deliver the economic recovery and growth that's needed to fund the NHS in its current form.

By all means leave, perhaps then you'll wake up to the fact that this country is a lot better than you think!

I whole heartedly agree with you about Farage though.

Oh, you have five years of supposed misery to come, not four.

Suspended
What a devastating result for Labour! I expected this to be close, but they've been utterly crushed. Cameron has received a massive endorsement from voters keen to see him push his austerity mandate all the way. It's clear that Britons want harsh cost-cutting measures.

Polly Toynbee is already shrieking and wailing like it's the end of Western civilisation.

:D

If Labour hasn't allowed the Public Sector to grow to such obscene proportions then this degree of remedial action wouldn't be necessary.

Caporegime
0_zpswqebxe8k.jpg~original

Soldato
So if I said to my project manager I'll get something done by a certain date but half way through theres a failure in a system - guess what you have to move to a planB because things change.

Then you don't make the cast iron guarantee in the first place on things you are not sure you can deliver.

Regardless if they had cut the deficit you'd be moaning about that aswell. Each to their own I guess but the electorate has just judged them on their record and from the numbers it looks like an approval

Not at all. You can probably go back and find my posts from 2009/10 when I was a vocal critic of the austerity plan, but I acknowledged that they were now in power had their plan and we would see what happened in 5 years time.

On the metric they asked to be judged on, they failed.

It's more like companies promising X billion profit and promising shareholders dividends on that, but then they only make 0.5X billion profit, cutting the dividend in half and telling the shareholders they got a good deal.

Suspended
By the looks of it, he'll have failed to win two elections in a row. The Tories having failed to win for 23 years. That's not a massive mandate.

It's clear that the British people have favoured him over Labour however. I expect Labour will now lurch to the right in a desperate attempt to chase the electorate.

We need the parties to stay true to their roots - having everyone largely in the centre is pointless.

Soldato
Is anyone else impressed with how accurate the exit poll was? I would love to understand the mechanics behind it - very accurate indeed.

Indeed. For one thing it was the largest of the season, 16k IIRC, compared to 1-2k for the usual polls. They probably did most of them in marginal seats too. Still, very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom