• Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm sorry but I haven't the time to write a proper reply. If you or others are interested I'll leave this here:

That video is a lovely history lesson that doesn't address the fact that the NHS is facing a completely different problem to when it was created.

Thats like saying to a 5 year old "you can calculate 2 + 2 so apply that to some trigonometry".

Her talk is very idealistic but it ignores the fact that we cannot support an unhealthy population that lives longer and has access to expensive and advanced medical care that can keep people alive at great expense who would otherwise have died 50 years ago.

The NHS will not die. It won't be allowed to, however I think it will more towards more of a core care based system where you will have to pay to get the best care. Its sad that this has happened but don't blame "the man" for this, blame the people of the UK who have been unnecessarily costing the NHS more money all the time on completely preventable issues.

Soldato
And the turnout was? I can't find it, 60-70%? So what % of the populace backed the Tories?

In what way are the people that failed to get off their arse's and vote relevant. Are you suggesting they would have all voted for the same party, Its more likely if they could have been bothered they would have roughly followed the same % split as the ones that voted.

That really is all you can assume, as they failed to vote you cant apply their vote to a party of your choice.

Associate
05-cryingman-290212-de_zpsjbmpycnd.jpg

Hahaha :p

MRaSBMT.jpg

Soldato
Honestly, I don't see how anyone can claim it's been a bad result for UKIP.

They got near 13% of the vote and were the clear 3rd party on weight of votes.

I have no love at all for their political alignment, but to call their performance anything but remarkable is disingenuous. And Farage did an incredible job.

It means nothing though does it, as someone just pointed out, the same has happened for the Lib Dems the last 25 yrs

At every point in this process people have been pointing out to Rob et al that just because they have x% of the popular vote it will not translate into seats.

And no seats = no power.

Sure the system is borked, but it's the one we have for now.

Caporegime
Good bye NHS, thank you for your long service and I'm sorry we couldn't defend you. It makes me deeply sad that we can afford to kill each other, yet we refuse to afford to help each other.

As Sir Tony Benn said:

“If you can have full employment by killing Germans, why can’t we have full employment by building hospitals, building schools?”

Maybe my history is a little rusty but didn't we come out of WW2 with a crippling debt that we are still paying off?

Unfortunately that quote perfectly shows why labours economic policy never works.

Man of Honour
It means nothing though does it, as someone just pointed out, the same has happened for the Lib Dems the last 25 yrs

At every point in this process people have been pointing out to Rob et al that just because they have x% of the popular vote it will not translate into seats.

And no seats = no power.

Sure the system is borked, but it's the one we have for now.

And is likely to stay for even longer with these results. What's happened to LD shows the country can't get along with coalitions, which is what a reform would lead to. No 3rd party would want to form a coalition after these results.

Associate
Don't know how I feel about the result. I like Cameron and think it's probably for the best in terms of economic stability. On the other hand though I think UKIP have been robbed due to the FPTP system. It is a dated relic of the 2 party system and we clearly don't have only 2 parties now. There needs to be a move towards PR but it'll never happen now due to the dominance of the Conservatives. I was secretly hoping for a hung parliament and a fierce debate about reform of the system. Nothing will change now. It'll be interesting to see how the SNP thing plays out though.

Soldato
That's pretty much what he wrote. With a 66.1% voter turn-out, that's 24.3% of the population voted for the new government.

Indeed, it's very frustrating that I'm already hearing that the Conservative's have a mandate (for England at least) when only 1 in 4 people backed them.

It's relevant Jono8 because the implication is they represent the people, when 76% of people voted for someone else or not at all.

Back
Top Bottom