• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
This has really been a battle of two nationalist parties: SNP and the Tories.

SNP was the only party committed to fighting for Scotland, while the Tories were the only candidate determined to put England's interests first.

Both have delivered resounding victories for their voting base.

Looks like Nick is having a breakdown.

Well, he can blame Nick Clegg for that.

Caporegime
Here's to another 4 years of having this city driven into the ground. Well done Stoke Labour voters! :mad:

Red rosette/monkey.

Another person who doesn't know one of the most simple basic precepts of UK politics.

We are not the US, where else do people get this "4 years" from?

Caporegime
To the result? It isn't.

But it does hint at inherent problems in our democracy. Roughly a third of people don't see any reason to bother voting. This will be for various reasons, from laziness to a perceived lack of representation. As a result, the government has been selected by roughly a quarter of the population. That's a poor result, whatever the outcome.

FYI, before I get a load of 'sore loser' tripe thrown at me, I voted Tory. They were the least bad option.

But you seem to be implying that if 100% of people voted, the result would be different. The likelihood is, is that it wouldn't.

Therefore I don't know what point you are trying to make with the whole "only 20-25% have voted for Tory"

Soldato
I'm well aware, the discussion at the time on the BBC coverage was "do the Torys have a mandate for Scotland?". Listening to TV and typing is hard! :D

The answer is yes (as Scotland is part of the UK) if anyone tries it argue it isn't then they also have to argue that the SNP have no mandate for Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire, Galloway and West Dumfries, Ayr, etc.

Soldato
This has really been a battle of two nationalist parties: SNP and the Tories.

SNP was the only party committed to fighting for Scotland, while the Tories were the only candidate determined to put England's interests first.

Both have delivered resounding victories for their voting base.

My thoughts exactly.

Man of Honour
God, sounds like people in Labour are really pushing the Harriet Harman idea. If she becomes permanent leader then Labour can forget getting my vote right now.

Caporegime
I wonder if the Election will be used as an excuse for a dip in GDP....I've got nothing done at work this morning :p

Haha, I'm at work too (and on a bank holiday :().

Have a full hd projector and 12 foot screen up with the election streaming on it :p.

nxqjc6.jpg

Soldato
Another person who doesn't know one of the most simple basic precepts of UK politics.

We are not the US, where else do people get this "4 years" from?

Most younger voters will be used to it being four years (IE 97 - 01 - 05) to them the five years between 05 - 10 and 10 - 15 was an exception not a rule.

Caporegime
Miliband with unfortunate cadence in his speech. On Harriet Horrific Harman

"I was happy to have had her.............(far longer pause than appropriate)..... as my deputy"

I lolled a bit at that.

Caporegime
But you seem to be implying that if 100% of people voted, the result would be different. The likelihood is, is that it wouldn't.

In my view, the % turnout is a red-herring. Elections are decided by those who vote; that's how a democracy works. Provided the turnout isn't absurdly low (*cough* PCC elections *cough) they maintain legitimacy.

However, the fact that Tories can win outright with a tad over a third of the electorate is a serious fault with our system.

Soldato

Therefore I don't know what point you are trying to make with the whole "only 20-25% have voted for Tory"

I'm not trying to say the result would be different! I'm simply saying that fewer than 1 in 4 adults in the UK voted for the current majority government. Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom