• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Suspended
The problem is that it is indeed pure and vitriolic rhetoric, the Conservatives didnt have to deal with the massive downturn, Labour did, would the Conservatives have just sat back?

Regardless its pointless to discuss.

Labour could have done much to lessen the impact on the UK but they chose instead to be "intensely relaxed about people getting very rich".

Caporegime
It's unfortunate that Clegg will be remembered for this one policy that the Lib Dems conceded on, and not for the checks and balances that they brought to the coalition. We'll know in the next 5 years whether the Tory party unleashed is better or worse than we had previously.

In any case, it feels unjust to me that apparently the majority of the voting public have placed the blame for the failures of the last government squarely on the doorstep of the Lib Dem party, while apparently embracing the work that the Conservatives did.
Good post.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Thanks. If you think the main problem the NHS faces is preventable diseases (and you may have a point) then the solution is preventative care - diet advice, minimum pricing of junk food, etc.

We shouldn't gamble that by privatising the health service we can treat those people more cheaply, especially when all the evidence suggests the system is one of/the most efficient in the world.

Private healthcare has never (AFAIK) resulted in better value than public systems, so why are we buying care from these companies?

I think that main issue with most things is people to be fair. I would love to believe that those that are overweight, don't manage their diabetes, drink to the point of alcoholism etc are victims but thats simply not the case in my eyes.

We could raise the cost of junk food and sugary things but people would still buy them. What you will see from almost anyone who claims to be so poor they cannot feed themselves properly is that they put very little effort into it. They would rather whinge about the fact they don't have enough money than take responsibility and cook themselves. They buy booze or fags and complain they don't have enough. They buy clothes regularly and complain they don't have enough.

I think we have a nation of whingers that are unwilling to take ownership of their issues and always look to blame someone else. Preventative healthcare is a great idea and might work for some people but you probably need to get to them when they are young and that still discounts the fact that parents are a huge influence on children and their attitude and diet.

We might be able to improve the situation over the next 30 years but we needed to do this before the NHS got to this stage. You can't plan an extension to a house falling into the sea.

Soldato
It's unfortunate that Clegg will be remembered for this one policy that the Lib Dems conceded on, and not for the checks and balances that they brought to the coalition. We'll know in the next 5 years whether the Tory party unleashed is better or worse than we had previously.

In any case, it feels unjust to me that apparently the majority of the voting public have placed the blame for the failures of the last government squarely on the doorstep of the Lib Dem party, while apparently embracing the work that the Conservatives did.

It's interesting how much credit the conservatives have taken for Liberal initiatives!

Soldato
Talk about right up to the 11th hour, we still don't have confirmation of that final majority defining seat, whilst Cameron is already on his way to meet Liz.

It's already a majority. They subtract the speaker and Sinn Fein MPs (IIRC they don't pledge an oath to the Queen so don't qualify for sitting in the Commons, or somesuch).

Soldato
The EU referendum will happen for sure now but it will fail. It would be insane for the UK to leave the EU at this point as Scotland would surely leave the union and most politicians know this, including the cons.

Suspended
I was actually kinda expecting another coalition, because I don't feel 1 party will always have the best policies and that a coalition forces a little compromise and often make better decisions for the UK. However I'm not particularly upset about the current outcomes, but relieved UKIP have done so badly!

I don't want compromise so I am very happy. I look forward to the Conservatives fulfilling their manifesto pledges.

Soldato
The EU referendum will happen for sure now but it will fail. It would be insane for the UK to leave the EU at this point as Scotland would surely leave the union and most politicians know this, including the cons.

Most politicians don't want to leave it, including tories but they're promised it so they'll have to get it done or Cameron can resign after failing to renegotiate terms so they avoid it.

Cameron has been very careful with his language when talking about a referendum, it's one of the few times you hear him talking about how it's about him, rather than the party and he has no intention of seeing out his 5 years this time.

Caporegime

It would still have to get through parliament and the Lords, both of which could conceivably defeat it?

Soldato
They're taking an awfully long time to get the last few seats announced.

I understand St Ives isn't supposed to be announced till 4pm as they had to be flown in.

The Cotswolds should have been announced 2 hours ago.
Warwick & Leamington didn't start counting till about 11:30.
Kenilworth & Southam also didn't start till 11:30.
Hexham is supposed to be anytime now.
Berwick-upon-Tweed doesn't say when the result is expected.
Blyth Valley no news.

Edit: Seems as i was writing all that the Cotswolds have announced their seat.

Back
Top Bottom