• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Labour didn't lose because they shifted to the left. They lost because they lost touch with the working classes.

Labour tried to appeal to what the Islington chattering classes told them the poor wanted. Talking about "tax cuts for millionaires" loses a lot of authenticity when it comes from metropolitan millionaires. Those in the Labour party were often perceived to look upon the poor with contempt. Emily Thornberry's white van incident is a fine example of this. They also seemed hypocritical when talking about "Tory posh boys" having often gone to the same schools.

The man the conservatives really feared was Alan Johnson. He was "one of us" in the eyes of Labour voters. Labour struggled to present people that many traditional Labour voters could relate to. Labour needs to drop the PPE spads, and find MPs people can relate too.

Man of Honour
I understand the Tories have this image of being anti-scrounger/pro self-made-man, akin to the Republican party in the USA, I'm just wondering why you're so attracted to this?

For example, do you have children? The Tories are planning to cut a further 7-12% from school funding this parliament. I understand you don't want life "gifted" to people, but is spending on education really a "gift"?

I get that tax cuts and services cuts are attractive to some people, but I'm sure you're missing the bigger picture, that we'll all be poorer for this government.

Both sides annoy me.
One wants to cut things we need to increase economy, the other side wants to spend but refuses to increases taxes to pay for it. Both are unsuitable long time.

Man of Honour
After reading a few comments about FPTP vs PR I thought I'd mock up how the election would have looked without FPTP.

The seats are estimated based off the current share of the votes a few hours ago but the trends should be consistent.

BOSOFSC.jpg

The two clear winners from FPTP this election are the DUP & SNP - receiving a significantly higher proportion of influence in the commons per vote, with the Green Party & UKIP the clear losers.

Interesting stuff that.

Soldato
R.I.P NHS - Hope nobody complains when they **** it up!

People have been saying this for the last 20 years. The bottom line is the NHS is a middle management bloated behemoth that has been stumbling to its demise since before I was born (1973).

The NHS is like driving a car with two wheels, it only works because everyone in there is on the same side, the Tories usually want to remove a wheel whilst Labour will guarantee the existing wheels but want to cram more people in the car. If the NHS dies its because its a dinosaur from a different era that doesn't know how to survive in a modern world.

Soldato
Labour didn't lose because they shifted to the left. They lost because they lost touch with the working classes.

Labour tried to appeal to what the Islington chattering classes told them the poor wanted. Talking about "tax cuts for millionaires" loses a lot of authenticity when it comes from metropolitan millionaires. Those in the Labour party were often perceived to look upon the poor with contempt. Emily Thornberry's white van incident is a fine example of this. They also seemed hypocritical when talking about "Tory posh boys" having often gone to the same schools.

The man the conservatives really feared was Alan Johnson. He was "one of us" in the eyes of Labour voters. Labour struggled to present people that many traditional Labour voters could relate to. Labour needs to drop the PPE spads, and find MPs people can relate too.

100% agree with this. Posted something similar a few pages back.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I voted Conservative but I was really hoping that Lib Dems would form a coalition with them again to temper some of their policies.

To me the choices were likely to be:

Conservatives
Conservatives & Lib Dem
Labour & SNP

I think that Labour would have done much much better if the SNP hadn't wiped the floor in Scotland. A labour / snp coalition would have been a complete disaster and I think that may have also played on the minds of those voters leaning towards Labour but who were not staunch supporters of them.

Man of Honour
After reading a few comments about FPTP vs PR I thought I'd mock up how the election would have looked without FPTP.

The seats are estimated based off the current share of the votes a few hours ago but the trends should be consistent.

BOSOFSC.jpg

The two clear winners from FPTP this election are the DUP & SNP - receiving a significantly higher proportion of influence in the commons per vote, with the Green Party & UKIP the clear losers.

82 seats for UKIP just shows that PR isn't necessarily the answer either. In no area of the country besides Clacton did a majority of voters want UKIP to represent them locally. The reason why the DUP did well is because in the very small number of areas they stood, they had big local support. Whereas UKIP pretty much uniformally had 'not enough support' across the entire country.

Caporegime

Indeed. All labour offered in the form of Miliband was a more rubbish and awkward version of Cameron.

Soldato
Voted libs..

Don't agree with torys hard cuts of public jobs that are due to come and some aspects of tax on the richest and some, not all benefit cuts and bedroom tax, taxing someone for not being able to find another house..

Don't agree with labours view on immigration, welfare state, house increases, tax and war..

My vote didn't count for much, I think lib dem also do a good job in my area but looks like they'll be kicked out and replaced with a labour seat..

Soldato
I am loving the pathetic commie whining from the trade unionists on ITV.
37% of the vote is not a legitimate vote! they bleat.
It was for labour apparently.
Who in their last victory polled a whole 35%.
Didnt see them asking for Tony and co to get out. 35.2% and they ended up with 355 seats from that, while the Tories polled 32.4% yet they ended up 198 seats.

Labour have polled even less than the tories did in 2005, yet ended up with 30 more seats.

Dont remember the unions whining then.

Hypocritical **** stains.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28012883 said:
I honestly think the whole Clegg thing is a massive shame. The vilification he got for the tuition fees thing was unfair and unjust - he didn't break a promise, the electorate didn't vote in a Lib Dem Government! He wasn't in charge so how could he force his policy through? He was stuck between a rock and a hard place and I've no idea why he didn't explain this far more to people every time they attacked him for it.

because the electorate are by and large to stupid to understand, it was our first coalition government in living memory so it was always going to be misunderstood! He had no choice 5 years ago, go into coalition with the conservatives and get a kicking, go into coalition with Labour and put Gordon Brown a lame duck rejected by the electorate back in number ten or go into opposition and send the people back to the polls and loose half his seats as everyone realised voting liberal was pointless as they wouldn't take power when the chance came!

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;28012935 said:
82 seats for UKIP just shows that PR isn't necessarily the answer either. In no area of the country besides Clacton did a majority of voters want UKIP to represent them locally. The reason why the DUP did well is because in the very small number of areas they stood, they had big local support. Whereas UKIP pretty much uniformally had 'not enough support' across the entire country.

You're thinking in a FPTP mindset. In PR it's not about local support but a holistic approach to make sure the country as a whole is represented on a national level.

Caporegime
The Lib Dems shouldn't have gone into coalition with a party in such stark contrast to them, it's like Ghandi teaming up with Hitler just to ensure a few less people are killed - nobody with a sense of ethics is going to pay attention to a few 'successes' under such circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom