• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I think you've got that twisted. They support those that work hard and don't expect life gifted to them.

But they are also making it incredibly difficult for hard graft to be rewarded for people starting at the bottom, yet its still easy to be a success if you some cash behind you.

I'm sorry but you are talking around your hat.

Last edited:
Soldato
To say this result has shocked me would be an understatement. I knew the Tories would get a larger number than Labour but nowhere near a majority.

I never realised just how little I had in common with people of my own country. Politics of compassion and progression has been replaced by fear, money and selfishness. I'm utterly distraught and extremely worried about the future.

I knew this forum leaned heavily toward the right, but to see it reflected across the country is very worrying. If I have a viable option to leave England in the future, then I will give it serious consideration because another 5 years of a Tory government, without LibDems to pull them back, will be devastating to the services and national treasures that I love and believe in. They have been given the permission and confidence by the population to forever change the makeup of the country and the outcome is not something I'd ever want to be part of. What a tragic day this is for the UK.

It's frustrating, isn't it. That so many people, born to the good fortune of being in one of the best countries in the world, are so lacking empathy and compassion to their fellow man.

Man of Honour
To say this result has shocked me would be an understatement. I knew the Tories would get a larger number than Labour but nowhere near a majority.

I never realised just how little I had in common with people of my own country. Politics of compassion and progression has been replaced by fear, money and selfishness. I'm utterly distraught and extremely worried about the future.

I knew this forum leaned heavily toward the right, but to see it reflected across the country is very worrying. If I have a viable option to leave England in the future, then I will give it serious consideration because another 5 years of a Tory government, without LibDems to pull them back, will be devastating to the services and national treasures that I love and believe in. They have been given the permission and confidence by the population to forever change the makeup of the country and the outcome is not something I'd ever want to be part of. What a tragic day this is for the UK.

Not quite as extreme as you put it but I woke up to a similar realisation today. Unfortunately there was no option to vote Conservative major player, Lib Dem minor as a specific election outcome :S

Caporegime
Labour didn't lose because they shifted to the left. They lost because they lost touch with the working classes.

Labour tried to appeal to what the Islington chattering classes told them the poor wanted. Talking about "tax cuts for millionaires" loses a lot of authenticity when it comes from metropolitan millionaires. Those in the Labour party were often perceived to look upon the poor with contempt. Emily Thornberry's white van incident is a fine example of this. They also seemed hypocritical when talking about "Tory posh boys" having often gone to the same schools.

The man the conservatives really feared was Alan Johnson. He was "one of us" in the eyes of Labour voters. Labour struggled to present people that many traditional Labour voters could relate to. Labour needs to drop the PPE spads, and find MPs people can relate too.

I think you're probably right. And it was particularly acute in Scotland where they'd already alienated voters during the No Campaign. I suspect that had there been another credible party to vote for in the rest of the UK they'd have been crucified here too.

Soldato
After reading a few comments about FPTP vs PR I thought I'd mock up how the election would have looked without FPTP.

The seats are estimated based off the current share of the votes a few hours ago but the trends should be consistent.

BOSOFSC.jpg

The two clear winners from FPTP this election are the DUP & SNP - receiving a significantly higher proportion of influence in the commons per vote, with the Green Party & UKIP the clear losers.

Thanks for this even as an SNP voter/member I would be happier with this type of UK government.

However it will never happen as Labour/Tories would be the biggest losers if it did.

Soldato
Cutting the state to the bone and another 5 years of real-terms wage cuts? :rolleyes:

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6994/economics/uk-wage-growth/

I know, hence the smileys. I would prefer PR in any case.

My wages have increased over the past 5 years by 50%. I studied hard, got 2 Diplomas and have worked my ass off and I now get paid very good wage!

People need to pull their fingers out! Opportunity is everywhere, stop complaining and go grab it with both hands!

And these cuts aren't being done for the lols, they're needed to reduce the deficit!

Suspended
I understand the Tories have this image of being anti-scrounger/pro self-made-man, akin to the Republican party in the USA, I'm just wondering why you're so attracted to this?

For example, do you have children? The Tories are planning to cut a further 7-12% from school funding this parliament. I understand you don't want life "gifted" to people, but is spending on education really a "gift"?

I get that tax cuts and services cuts are attractive to some people, but I'm sure you're missing the bigger picture, that we'll all be poorer for this government.

Honestly, it's because I had pretty much the worst start in life it's possible to have and I have worked very hard to get to where I am. I want to to keep as much of my salary as possible for the betterment of my family; I am not flogging myself to death to benefit anyone else. I align myself to the party that will seek to spend my tax in the best way for the country - strong Defence, small Government, minimal Welfare spending and maintaining the UKs geo-political influence. That's why I vote Conservative.

I do have children and appreciate what you're saying, but balancing the books is critical for the future and it's neccessary short term pain.

Associate
I am loving the pathetic commie whining from the trade unionists on ITV.
37% of the vote is not a legitimate vote! they bleat.
It was for labour apparently.
Who in their last victory polled a whole 35%.
Didnt see them asking for Tony and co to get out. 35.2% and they ended up with 355 seats from that, while the Tories polled 32.4% yet they ended up 198 seats.

Labour have polled even less than the tories did in 2005, yet ended up with 30 more seats.

Dont remember the unions whining then.

Hypocritical **** stains.

I love how highlighting the ridiculousness of FPTP is only "pathetic whining" when a supporter of a left wing party does it.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
My wages have increased over the past 5 years by 50%. I studied hard, got 2 Diplomas and have worked my ass off and I now get paid very good wage!

People need to pull their fingers out! Opportunity is everywhere, stop complaining and go grab it with both hands!

And these cuts aren't being done for the lols, they're needed to reduce the deficit!

Yes because everyone has the ability to do just that.....

Try saying opportunity is everywhere if your disabled, old or in your 50s from doing manual work that was around decades ago. Or stuck in a social housing structure (oh wait what housing structure)....

Conservatives make me sick, they stand for nothing but greed and the people saying yay yay yay will be the first to cry wolf in 6 months time.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It's frustrating, isn't it. That so many people, born to the good fortune of being in one of the best countries in the world, are so lacking empathy and compassion to their fellow man.

Empathy and compassion are fine when applied to those who deserve them. Many of the biggest issues we face are not due a lack of these qualities but an abundance of people who would take advantage of them.

I think people are too quick to think that people 100% support a particular parties policies across the board. I don't like plenty of labours policies and I don't like plenty of the conservatives policies but on the balance of things you make your choice.

Back
Top Bottom