• Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters

fez

fez

Caporegime
Building policy on the back of an overwhelming fear that someone undeserving might get a free lunch is simply being ruled by ones jealousy. It's not a logical way of bettering the country.

Its not really to do with that though. These type of issues are degenerative. They are firstly large enough issues to be a problem and they tend to grow because of the very nature of the problem.

I don't have any issue supporting those out of work or disabled to the point of being unable to work but the side effect of that is that those that are "deserving" of support are given less than they deserve. There is no distinction made between someone who has worked all their life and someone who has never worked. Scrape the resources too thinly and you punish everyone, not just those that deserve it.

Children from families that are overweight or have never worked tend to continue that trend. This is why I think its a big issue. Not because the odd person abuses the system but because its a system that is unsustainable with these growing strains put on it.

Caporegime
To be honest, I am super happy that UKIP only managed to achieve 1 MP.

Same here, even lower than my expectation of 3 seats.

More than makes up for labor is performance, so I'm very happy with the election overall. More shocked at how far out the polls were than disappointed, as much as I went on about a labour victory I hate labour almost as much as the Tories.

Soldato
So you would want a Tory/UKIP coalition.... because that is the likely outcome of that table.

It wouldn't. If it was PR then people would vote very differently. There would be no tactical voting and the outcome would look entirely different. No one can confidently say what the outcome would have been.

Also the 40% or so of the people that didn't vote might actually bother if they knew their vote might count for something.

Soldato
Those of you who are saying that the Conservatives will destroy the NHS. How do you think the NHS should be run?

Not like a business, it's never going to make a profit and shouldn't be judged as such, if we could get it back to the state it was in 25 years ago that would be fantastic. But pretty much impossible, the Tories didn't take office in 2010 and start nuclear bombing the NHS, they took office and continued the regular bombing they ceased in 1997, aside from the damage control Labour attempted between 97-10 it's been raped for decades.

Soldato
The Lib Dems shouldn't have gone into coalition with a party in such stark contrast to them, it's like Ghandi teaming up with Hitler just to ensure a few less people are killed - nobody with a sense of ethics is going to pay attention to a few 'successes' under such circumstances.

No two parties in the UK are that far apart, the libs had no choice it was either the conservatives, lame duck Brown or the scrap heap in a re-vote.

Caporegime
Don't be like that. I am not; I am just getting frustrated with the self-pitying and doom and gloom mentality some of you exhibit.

So all of those on low class salaries should just work harder to overcome the cuts and expenses that lie ahead of them.

Forget being happy with your job or other circumstances just chase the money and everything will be fine!

Soldato
How's it a flawed example?

Because a constituency being represented by the guy the majority of people in that constituency want representing them under FPTP. Is fairer than that constituency being represented by a person the majority of people in that constituency don't want representing them under PR.

Soldato
People need to pull their fingers out! Opportunity is everywhere, stop complaining and go grab it with both hands!

And these cuts aren't being done for the lols, they're needed to reduce the deficit!

SPG's response is pretty good. Also cutting the deficit is not the be all and end all.

Honestly, it's because I had pretty much the worst start in life it's possible to have and I have worked very hard to get to where I am. I want to to keep as much of my salary as possible for the betterment of my family; I am not flogging myself to death to benefit anyone else. I align myself to the party that will seek to spend my tax in the best way for the country - strong Defence, small Government, minimal Welfare spending and maintaining the UKs geo-political influence. That's why I vote Conservative.

I do have children and appreciate what you're saying, but balancing the books is critical for the future and it's neccessary short term pain.

Thanks. I think the weak point in your argument is "flogging to death". It's natural to want to accumulate for oneself, but we could do with more people acknowledging that not everyone can "grab opportunity" as Casdawer says.

The fact is the capitalist system we live in is structured to increase the gap between rich and poor, and we need to do something urgent to reduce this, not cut every single thing that actually helps the disadvantaged improve their lot while cutting taxes for the top.

My favourite example of an enlightened rich person is JK Rowling. She's a millionaire who makes large donations to the Labour party, because she came from nothing and owes everything she has to luck and the welfare state, which sustained her when she was at the very bottom.

J. K. Rowling on paying taxes and the welfare state

Associate
I'm totally gutted for Farage myself. I know I'm in the minority on here, as to who actually likes him. But his face when he lost killed me, you could see his pain in his eyes.

Gutted for the party and him.

Soldato
Drinking labours tears . Loving it . would have preferred UKIP in some other seats and Farage of course but good result .

I reckon the boundary changes which Lib Dem opposed last time in the coalition will be one of the first new acts , EU ref. to come in 2017 also .

All the scrounging *******s better get ready to stop relying on handouts too :)

Actually looking forward to what they are going to change and do !

Wow... just wow...

Anyone who vote conservative because "scroungers" are the biggest problem the UK faces. I couldn't facepalm any harder if I tried.

R.I.P nhs under conservative. Also prepare for more big business tax cuts.

Caporegime
That's a very pretty, idealistic "American Dream" view you have there.

"If you're poor, work harder. It's your own fault."

--GD

Conversely, if you're well-off, you've done it yourself - a self-made man having had no help from society or the state, and certainly there was no element of fortune and circumstance. Thus you should keep almost every penny without giving any of it to the "scroungers". And the government would only waste it on the idle poor, who contribute nothing to you, personally.

It really is a black and white world here in GD.

Soldato
This made me chuckle...

be75ea26b5e01543be05524be10607fb.png

Man of Honour
Good speech from Cameron. He's done well. I always suspected Labour would end up doing badly because people still don't (rightly) trust them and Ed Miliband is generally viewed as a clown, at least he's gone now.

I quite liked listening to Farage so it's a shame he lost, having said that I wouldn't have voted for him so can't expect others to.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Scotland and the SNP, a lot of hot air I suspect...

All in all a great result and the right result.

Soldato
I liked farage just not his policies on the whole. I think he'd have done better if they had screened their candidates more.

I'm just intrigued by what the future brings now. I expect a bad result in the EU referendum.

Honestly we just seem to be going backwards, more people should be helped across the board, and not just by way of handouts, but instead we are teaching society to just look out for yourself and if you can't keep up it's your own fault, people on welfare are expected to be motivated my lack of money alone rather than a system that actually helps people back into work, and elderly care has been getting worse for years now, food banks popping up everywhere, NHS service not being able to keep up, it's getting out of control.

I'm a liberal but I believe everyone should be better off, rich or poor, you can't sacrifice one demographic for another which is what the Tories seem to always want to do.

Back
Top Bottom