• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Same kind of rubbish that was talked about the coalition.

There is some truth, as we discussed earlier. For a concrete example:

Devon - the canary in the NHS coalmine?
This week Devon has announced that smokers and obese people will be denied all routine operations, and deaf people get only one hearing aid. The end of the NHS is swimming into focus - unless we swim hard against the current.

That's not exactly universal care for everyone is it?

Caporegime
Thanks for this even as an SNP voter/member I would be happier with this type of UK government.

However it will never happen as Labour/Tories would be the biggest losers if it did.

So you would want a Tory/UKIP coalition.... because that is the likely outcome of that table.

Soldato
Empathy and compassion are fine when applied to those who deserve them. Many of the biggest issues we face are not due a lack of these qualities but an abundance of people who would take advantage of them.

I think people are too quick to think that people 100% support a particular parties policies across the board. I don't like plenty of labours policies and I don't like plenty of the conservatives policies but on the balance of things you make your choice.

Building policy on the back of an overwhelming fear that someone undeserving might get a free lunch is simply being ruled by ones jealousy. It's not a logical way of bettering the country.

Soldato
How would it be unfair?

Under FPTP a constituency is represented by the party that the majority of people in that constituency wanted to represent them. Under PR that constituency would be represented by a random candidate that the majority of people probably don't want representing them.

You can't please all the people all the time, FPTP just pleases more than PR.

Caporegime
How would it be unfair?

Say in a region of the UK where there are 10 seats where the result is,

Tory - 40%
Labour - 30%
UKIP - 30%

(or over the whole region that's the result, to look at it in terms of PR)

There, under FPTP you have 100% of the electorate being represented by 10 politicians chosen by the Tory 40% of people.

Under PR you'd have the Tory 40% of the electorate being represented by the Tory politicians chosen by the Tory 40% of people, the Labour 30% of the electorate being represented by the Labour politicians chosen by the Labour 30% of people, and the UKIP 30% of the electorate being represented by the UKIP politicians chosen by the UKIP 30% of people. How's the latter equally as unfair as the former?

What?

Don
Those of you who are saying that the Conservatives will destroy the NHS. How do you think the NHS should be run? Throw more money at it? If that is what a government were to do the NHS would just absorb the money like a sponge and I suspect that it would make very little difference to front-line services.
The NHS needs to be reformed and turned in to a more efficient beast with fewer tiers of management and more accountability to the public.

Suspended
My wages have increased over the past 5 years by 50%. I studied hard, got 2 Diplomas and have worked my ass off and I now get paid very good wage!

People need to pull their fingers out! Opportunity is everywhere, stop complaining and go grab it with both hands!

And these cuts aren't being done for the lols, they're needed to reduce the deficit!

If only more people had your attitude and grasp of reality then the Country would be in a better place.

Associate
For everyone whining about spending cuts, how do you suggest you balance the books? Spending cuts elsewhere, where someone else will complain? More debt, that will have to be repaid in future years? Tax the rich who are already paying a higher % of their higher income to receive less benefit from the government than those who pay no tax do, while generally contributing more to society? I'm not well off at all but the whole attitude of rich people's money should be in the public purse annoys me

Man of Honour
My wages have increased over the past 5 years by 50%. I studied hard, got 2 Diplomas and have worked my ass off and I now get paid very good wage!

People need to pull their fingers out! Opportunity is everywhere, stop complaining and go grab it with both hands!

And these cuts aren't being done for the lols, they're needed to reduce the deficit!

While its a bit of an odd way to put it not everyone has equal access to that opportunity :S and/or the same benefit of taking advantage of it - for a good number the reality is that they will have to work extremely hard to crawl tooth and nail out of circumstance they never made for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom