Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Sgarrista
Commissario
2 Weeks ago I was referred to a private company by the NHS.

In 2 weeks they've located, started to treat and taken away all the pain in my knee which on some days got so bad I could barely walk. The results were noticeable from the very first (and long (90 minute)) session where they really investigated what was the root cause of the problem, not just treating the symptoms.

This was following nearly a year of NHS "treatment" with 20 minute sessions where I rarely saw the same person twice, and they just took a punt at what they thought was wrong and sent me on my way.

If privatization works as well as it has for me so far, im all for it, as long as rival companies can bid based on cost and results.

Last edited:
Soldato
And why should I indulge such blatant sarcasm? This thread isn't about me; I responded to a question and some of you seem to be taking advantage to vent your frustration. Perhaps you should use that energy more constructively?

I think the problem is that many people who "lift themselves up by their bootstrings" benefit far more from society than they recognise, so it's the ultimate selfishness when they then decide they've "made it" and start backing an individualist party like the Conservatives.

Gotta go for now, bye thread, it's been fun!

Soldato
Labour are paying the price of not killing dead the lies about them being at fault for the global financial meltdown that have been thrown at them from day one of the coalition, Miliband tried to do it at the last televised leader's debate and you saw how it went down, unfortunately it was too little too late and people still blame them for it as they take the accusations as facts.

Soldato
And why should I indulge such blatant sarcasm? This thread isn't about me; I responded to a question and some of you seem to be taking advantage to vent your frustration. Perhaps you should use that energy more constructively?

I'm merely interested in what the roots of your beliefs are it genuinely interests me!

I'd class myself as a liberal conservative and I am fully aware that I am to a large extent the product of my back ground, up bringing and the opportunities it gave me that are not available to all.

Suspended
You've done very little but quip pleasant little platitudes and fortune cookie nonsense. I think people are just interested as to just how hard your background was since you keep referring to the fact that people can simply get things done themselves. Hardly unreasonable.

That aside, surely you can understand why people are frustrated. Nothing like an election to bring it out in people.

I can understand the frustration, I don't understand why it's directed at me.

Caporegime
You know the whole Privatisation thing was started ad ramped up from Labour right?

Why do people keep repeating Tory myths like "Labour overspent" and this? When the NHS was founded there was always room for complimentary private health care providers like BUPA. It's only since the Health and Social Care Act 2012 that PHCs are encouraged to compete with the NHS, not compliment it.

Soldato
Oh it will, the tories are itching to get TTIP legislation through.

It is strange how they moan about the unelected people in Europe having a say on how we live our lives and what we do and eat. Making decisions that over-rule laws made at Westminster and support unelected people in America making rules that over-rule laws made in Westminster.

Soldato
As long as NI contributions are reduced accordingly, then fine. We already pay for our healthcare, so it wouldn't exactly be a seismic shift for us.

Oh you can't be serious now. You would break up the NHS just to save a few quid in IN? I thought you worked your way out of the slum and made a fortune, if want private health care go buy it.

Caporegime
Labour are paying the price of not killing dead the lies about them being at fault for the global financial meltdown that have been thrown at them from day one of the coalition, Miliband tried to do it at the last televised leader's debate and you saw how it went down, unfortunately it was too little too late and people still blame them for it as they take the accusations as facts.

Yeah, this campaign was lost before it started. Labour surrendered the narrative to the Tories through 2010-2013 with barely a peep.

Soldato
Almost everyone does have that opportunity - whether they take it or not is another matter.

I started from the bottom, from factory working parents, living in a council house. However, I paid for my own University education, got a reasonable job and progressed to the point where I would consider I have a comfortable life - I am looking to buying my first house in the next couple of years.

Good for you - anything is possible if you work for it.

No, not anything is possible. In fact, each person living in a developed country has a limited range of options and everything else is simply not possible. You sound like a reasonably intelligent person so try to consider that even if you 'made it' or you think you did, many people have to deal with issues that prevent them from taking the same path you did, even if they had the ambition and willingness to work hard for it. For every succesful job interview of yours, there are many people for which it was a failure, some of which were as qualified or even more qualified than you. For every pay rise, there are quite of few unexpected terminations or downsizings and they happen to competent, hardworking people all the time.

There are dozens of millions in the UK and billions in the rest of the world so concluding that anything is possible with hard work, based on your own experience, is a laughable, shallow slogan.

Caporegime
Because a constituency being represented by the guy the majority of people in that constituency want representing them under FPTP. Is fairer than that constituency being represented by a person the majority of people in that constituency don't want representing them under PR.

The problem is no one actually votes for their MP anymore, they vote for the MP the party they want to win has offered them.

That was my biggest argument against PR a few years ago, then I realised it actually really doesn't matter. No one cares, tbh many MPs and candidates don't even come/live from the area they represent any more.

Caporegime
I can understand the frustration, I don't understand why it's directed at me.

Because on several occasions you've posted along the same lines that anyone from any where can become a self made man - the pretty, pleasant "american dream" I noted earlier - to the contrary of other peoples posts (as you've been quoting them, I'm assuming that you meant to tell them they are wrong).

And you can't see why they're frustrated with you?

fez

fez

Caporegime

I don't think people blame labour for the global economic meltdown but as one of the largest players in world banking it was on their watch that it happened and it wasn't like some of it wasn't preventable.

The banks were behaving like a bunch of cowboys in every aspect of their business and as the party in charge of the country they should have done more to prevent it.

Labour didn't cause the economic crash, they just looked on as the banking sector ploughed money into the economy for labour to spend whilst ignoring the dangerous practices that delivered them.

We are part of a huge global economy but don't downplay our say in matters.

Caporegime
Good luck paying for your own uni fees in 2015 when it costs 9k per term and set to rise in the near future.

Believable story back when tuition was 3k per term, but not any more! Try saving 27k (minimum) on a low income whilst renting. Just not possible today.

This attitude is precisely why the Country is knackered. The attitude that we should be helped. How about helping yourself? Honestly, this entitled, grasping mentality needs consigning to the bin.

Mate, you prove my point exactly, you people are so scared of entitlement that you'd rather cut your nose off to spite your face not not help anyone, it's typical Tory tunnel vision, if your in poor situation it's your own fault, no other environmental factors exist do they?, Tories campaign slogan of been "Vote for us and help yourself but not others".

Associate
2 Weeks ago I was referred to a private company by the NHS.

In 2 weeks they've located, started to treat and taken away all the pain in my knee which on some days got so bad I could barely walk. The results were noticeable from the very first (and long (90 minute)) session where they really investigated what was the root cause of the problem, not just treating the symptoms.

This was following nearly a year of NHS "treatment" with 20 minute sessions where I rarely saw the same person twice, and they just took a punt at what they thought was wrong and sent me on my way.

If privatization works as well as it has for me so far, im all for it, as long as rival companies can bid based on cost and results.

I've taken out private health insurance after I saw what my manager went through trying to cure some pain he had in his back. He was sent around so many doctors in the NHS, had to wait months for appointments and was misdiagnosed as having a herniated disc by 2 out of 3 doctors. Eventually he was referred to a private doctor who said there was no hernia and he actually has some kind of arthritis even though he's not old.

No way I would want to go through anything like that if I had a health problem.

Back
Top Bottom