• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Good luck paying for your own uni fees in 2015 when it costs 9k per term and set to rise in the near future.

Believable story back when tuition was 3k per term, but not any more! Try saving 27k (minimum) on a low income whilst renting. Just not possible today.

That's their own fault, they should just work harder. Anyone can do it, even more so if you come from a council estate!

Soldato
To say this result has shocked me would be an understatement. I knew the Tories would get a larger number than Labour but nowhere near a majority.

I never realised just how little I had in common with people of my own country. Politics of compassion and progression has been replaced by fear, money and selfishness. I'm utterly distraught and extremely worried about the future.

I knew this forum leaned heavily toward the right, but to see it reflected across the country is very worrying. If I have a viable option to leave England in the future, then I will give it serious consideration because another 5 years of a Tory government, without LibDems to pull them back, will be devastating to the services and national treasures that I love and believe in. They have been given the permission and confidence by the population to forever change the makeup of the country and the outcome is not something I'd ever want to be part of. What a tragic day this is for the UK.

Very well said, my thoughts exactly.

Soldato
I don't think people blame labour for the global economic meltdown but as one of the largest players in world banking it was on their watch that it happened and it wasn't like some of it wasn't preventable.

The banks were behaving like a bunch of cowboys in every aspect of their business and as the party in charge of the country they should have done more to prevent it.

Labour didn't cause the economic crash, they just looked on as the banking sector ploughed money into the economy for labour to spend whilst ignoring the dangerous practices that delivered them.

We are part of a huge global economy but don't downplay our say in matters.

What they also failed to do during on of the largest economic booms in this countries history was put anything aside for a rainy day. That is the real legacy of the last Labour government, while times were good they partied non-stop without ever giving any thought to the future if it wasn't all rosy. Like IT contractors at the turn of the millennium they failed to realise just how good they had it and how it couldn't possibly last so instead of them having a nice handy surplus to dig into when the wheels came off we were mortgaged to the eyeballs!

Soldato
No, not anything is possible. In fact, each person living in a developed country has a limited range of options and everything else is simply not possible. You sound like a reasonably intelligent person so try to consider that even if you 'made it' or you think you did, many people have to deal with issues that prevent them from taking the same path you did, even if they had the ambition and willingness to work hard for it. For every succesful job interview of yours, there are many people for which it was a failure, some of which were as qualified or even more qualified than you. For every pay rise, there are quite of few unexpected terminations or downsizings and they happen to competent, hardworking people all the time.

There are dozens of millions in the UK and billions in the rest of the world so concluding that anything is possible with hard work, based on your own experience, is a laughable, shallow slogan.

Pretty much this, hard work doesn't always get you where it should do. I'm glad to hear of people getting opportunities and making something of themselves but the attitude that if somebody isn't as successful as you they didn't work as hard is ridiculous. It's mostly the luck of the draw, right place, right time, or knowing somebody. The conservatives only look out for the wealthy, and when the wealthy is the minority, I'll never know how the majority voted them in. The GBP must be a glutton for punishment.

C64

C64

Soldato
Hopefully people get to taste the medicine they voted for and working tax credits are cut so nobody earning over 15k gets any in work benefits what so ever.

Tories got in because every single person in social housing voted for the right to buy

Oaps voted tory because they offered them carrots

working people voted for them because they fell for the media spin that everyone on benefits is living a millionaire lifestyle

I cant wait, hopefully all child credits housing benefit working tax credits are removed from all working people as they plan on doing

Bet they don't touch middle class olly and Abigails in work benefits though the poor diddums cant afford to live in the snobby area they want to.

Last edited:
Suspended
Mate, you prove my point exactly, you people are so scared of entitlement that you'd rather cut your nose off to spite your face not not help anyone, it's typical Tory tunnel vision, if your in poor situation it's your own fault, no other environmental factors exist do they?, Tories campaign slogan of been "Vote for us and help yourself but not others".

But that's not true. I have no objection to helping those genuinely in need, but you will recognise there is a difference between that and being happy/indifferent with the status quo, or unwilling to better themselves.

Soldato
While its a bit of an odd way to put it not everyone has equal access to that opportunity :S and/or the same benefit of taking advantage of it - for a good number the reality is that they will have to work extremely hard to crawl tooth and nail out of circumstance they never made for themselves.

I didn't come from a wealthy family or anything like that. My parents divorced when I was a kid and I was forced to live with a man I despised and who in some cases was violent towards me. I used that to make myself a better person and I worked hard at school, college and work to ensure that when I have my own family, I can provide everything I can.

People need to stop blaming the Government for all their problems. Only you can change the way you live by working to better yourself be that by getting a better job, going back in to education and growing yours skills that way.

Soldato
Thank god for that. A vote for common sense at last. I really didn't expect that at all the BBC et al have been treating Miliband as PM elect for a long time now and they're onto the "what what wrong" coverage. They must be gutted. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Its not really to do with that though. These type of issues are degenerative. They are firstly large enough issues to be a problem and they tend to grow because of the very nature of the problem.

I don't have any issue supporting those out of work or disabled to the point of being unable to work but the side effect of that is that those that are "deserving" of support are given less than they deserve. There is no distinction made between someone who has worked all their life and someone who has never worked. Scrape the resources too thinly and you punish everyone, not just those that deserve it.

Children from families that are overweight or have never worked tend to continue that trend. This is why I think its a big issue. Not because the odd person abuses the system but because its a system that is unsustainable with these growing strains put on it.

A common mistake people make is to believe that, honestly, those brought up in the poverty of a workless (or poor working) household think that it's a great life that they want to continue with.

There is a link between growing with unemployed/poor parents and becoming an unemployed/poor adult but the mechanisms behind that are not simply that they think it's a great life. Because, from their own experience, it's not - it's ****ing crap.

Really, the reason you get generations of failure is due to the disadvantages inherent in growing up in such conditions - the lack of role models, lack of social capital, transferable skills etc, as well as the simple social exclusion caused by growing up too poor to take part in the same social and experiential activities as those you will later be competing with in the working world

I just don't see how any of those problems are solved (or, even, not made worse)by cutting benefits and (let's not forget what else gets cut under a Tory government) social outreach and opportunity provision.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Good luck paying for your own uni fees in 2015 when it costs 9k per term and set to rise in the near future.

Believable story back when tuition was 3k per term, but not any more! Try saving 27k (minimum) on a low income whilst renting. Just not possible today.

This is unfortunately another hangover from the idea that everyone should go to university. You have two choices, you either support less people going to university and subsidise their fees or you let everyone go to university and everyone has to pay with less subsidies.

Another labour policy that whilst nice in theory doesn't address the reality of the matter. Apparently we are not a society that supports the less fortunate if we don't allow everyone to go to a **** university to get a pointless degree. You used to be able to go to university because of your intellect and work ethic. Now you can go regardless and rack up huge debts.

going back in to education and growing yours skills that way.

I agree with this but if your poor and older it's incredibly hard to get into education and support yourself, all the Job Centre wants to do is send you on a course with a bunch of losers that teaches you life skills, no real gateway into proper education, give people the tools to better themselves.

Soldato
Almost everyone does have that opportunity - whether they take it or not is another matter.

I started from the bottom, from factory working parents, living in a council house. However, I paid for my own University education, got a reasonable job and progressed to the point where I would consider I have a comfortable life - I am looking to buying my first house in the next couple of years.

Good for you - anything is possible if you work for it.

Taken to the nth degree, supposing everybody did just that, who would do all the low paid work and are they expected to do it and just be grateful for a miserable existence and wage topped up with in work benefits?

Common sense tells you that it isn't remotely possible for every single person to go to university, get a good degree and then progress up the various ranks of desk jockey shuffling numbers around on a screen for a living, so instead of thinking about the minority, society should be run for the majority and that doesn't include those with the ' **** you Jack I'm alright' Tory attitude.

Look at the countries who constantly come top of the happiness polls, it isn't any country with a nasty party running things.

fez

fez

Caporegime
A common mistake people make is to believe that, honestly, those brought up in the poverty of a workless (or poor working) household think that it's a great life that they want to continue with.

There is a link between growing with unemployed/poor parents and becoming an unemployed/poor adult but the mechanisms behind that are not simply that they think it's a great life. Because, from their own experience, it's not - it's ****ing crap.

Really, the reason you get generations of failure is due to the disadvantages inherent in growing up in such conditions - the lack of role models, lack of social capital, transferable skills etc, as well as the simple social exclusion caused by growing up too poor to take part in the same social and experiential activities as those you will later be competing with in the working world

I just don't see how any of those problems are solved (or, even, not made worse)by cutting benefits and (let's not forget what else gets cut under a Tory government) social outreach and opportunity provision.

Oh I completely agree but that doesn't change the fact that it happens and that it is the reality of the situation. No child should suffer the consequences of their parents actions is a nice idea but you cannot raise a child well without good parents.

My mum worked at a school where many of the parents greatest interest in their education came when they went down the school or phoned them to swear at the staff for disciplining their child.

I don't think the children want to have a **** childhood but the values and ideas that their parents instil in them are horrendously detrimental to their future.

Don

It was probably even less than that when I was at Uni, but having seen all of my more privileged friends still taking out student loans and wasting them on alcohol/clothes and other things that they didn't necessarily "need" then, yes a lot of people could be more disciplined and "work harder".

That's their own fault, they should just work harder. Anyone can do it, even more so if you come from a council estate!

Mock as much as you like, but anyone today can still achieve it - the genuinely poor can still get help towards education, whereas the latest iphone owning, designer clothes wearing "poor", don't deserve it.

Mate, you prove my point exactly, you people are so scared of entitlement that you'd rather cut your nose off to spite your face not not help anyone, it's typical Tory tunnel vision, if your in poor situation it's your own fault, no other environmental factors exist do they?, Tories campaign slogan of been "Vote for us and help yourself but not others".

Rather that Tory slogan rather than the Labour vision of nobody needs to aspire to everything as we should all share our wealth - may as well go down the route of Communism if Labour is the only other option.

C64

C64

Soldato
Totally. And if a Polish worker can live on £5 an hour, why can't you?

Bloody scroungers!

sums up the average tory voter not that I am calling you that

tory voter = damn scroungers
tory voter = gets child allowance in work tax credits and housing benefit

laughable hypocrisy

Back
Top Bottom