• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Suspended
Why would I feel fortunate to live around people that can only vote for a single party regardless of the polices they offer?

If the policies of that party align with the way they'd like to see the country ran then what's the issue?

If you really feel so strongly then why not move to live near people with a similar outlook to your own? That would seem to be pretty extreme to me though.

Soldato
I see nothing wrong with people voting for the government they want but some people around here would vote Tory regardless. Thats just seems silly to me.

Do you move to best suit your political views?

Caporegime
I disagree. It's absolutely disrespectful. Were it not for the sacrifices of those men and women, the lives of those protesting could potentially be very different.

I think categorising the recognition of that as 'over sensitive' is wrong and seeks to justify the actions of those responsible.

I can see what Amp34 is getting at with this one to be honest. Who gets to decide what pieces of stone deserve a higher status than others? Is it more disrespectful to graffiti a war memorial than any other type of memorial? Who gets to decide - is it based on how many deaths it represents? Does it get more or less disrespectful as time passes?

I think you legally have to treat it as the criminal damage that it is - you can obviously form your own opinions based on the actions but saying things like 'mandatory 5 years in jail for defacing a war memorial' is a knee-jerk response that won't achieve anything.

Caporegime
What, like the people butt hurt that the party they didn't vote for is the most popular nationally and therefore got democratically elected to govern the country?

I'm not suggesting the butthurt people that butthurt the other people are any better, just that in reality they haven't hurt anyone and made little difference to anything.:p

I disagree. It's absolutely disrespectful. Were it not for the sacrifices of those men and women, the lives of those protesting could potentially be very different.

I think categorising the recognition of that as 'over sensitive' is wrong and seeks to justify the actions of those responsible.

And when did being disrespectful to something actually hurt anyone?

So you're suggesting that because people protected the right for people to protest people can't protest using the people that protected their right to protest?;) That would be counter to what they were fighting for in the first place...

Yes, they're idiots for spraying stuff on a war memorial, but really, what harm has it actually done to anyone? They should be charged with grafittiing, like anyone else that graffitis, that's it.

And stop with the ridiculous notion straight away, it's a pointless way of trying to shut down an argument. No one is justifying anyone...

Suspended
I see nothing wrong with people voting for the government they want but some people around here would vote Tory regardless. Thats just seems silly to me.

We bought in the right area at the outset, so moving won't be necessary. This is unlikely to ever be anything other than a Conservative area.

Caporegime

Meh, move to a city or New Town where people vote Labour regardless. It happens on both side of the spectrum unfortunately.

Suspended
And when did being disrespectful to something actually hurt anyone?

Why should it be tolerated? Is that the sort of society you want to live in?

And stop with the ridiculous notion straight away, it's a pointless way of trying to shut down an argument. No one is justifying anyone...

There's nothing to argue about. You've adopted an indefensible position and you're wrong. Your reaction indicates you know this as well.

Caporegime
So it starts.

Nothing has started. These protestors mobilised in London earlier in the week when Cameron threatened to squat in No 10 if Labour tried to form a government as the second largest party. As the result turned out quite differently to the one expected, lots of people suffered a crushing disappointment and let their feelings get the better of them. Things will return to normal next week.

Caporegime

I don't think it is tolerated - it's criminal damage, and potentially it contravenes another law due to the swearing as well.

Harsher punishments for actions that hurt people's feelings aren't compatible with the freedom of speech that everyone wanted 5 months ago.

Soldato
Nothing has started. These protestors mobilised in London earlier in the week when Cameron threatened to squat in No 10 if Labour tried to form a government as the second largest party. As the result turned out quite differently to the one expected, lots of people suffered a crushing disappointment and let their feelings get the better of them. Things will return to normal next week.

A protest is a risky thing today. The social problems we have been ignoring become very apparent last time.

Caporegime

Where actions and words are more important than symbols? Yes. Some people, as I have already mentioned, are way too sensitive to things that don't hurt them and aren't aimed at them.

As an example if two 90 year olds were attacked randomly, one a war hero, the other not. Should there be more disgust over the attack of the 90 year old war hero than the other 90 year old? Of course not, both should be seen as disgusting acts.

There's nothing to argue about. You've adopted an indefensible position and you're wrong. Your reaction indicates you know this as well.

No, you've erected a straw man argument rather than debate the point you believe is wrong.

You're displaying the same lack of empathy the people that sprayed the graffiti on the memorial in the first place do - they thought they were right and the people that voted in the Conservatives were wrong and so are protesting about the "wrong" vote. You appear to believe you are completely right and anyone that doesn't display your rabid disgust of the action is in leagues with those that did it.:confused:

Going back to my original point, did that bit of spray paint hurt anyone? Has it made a jot of difference to anyone (other than the council employee that needs to clean it up)?

Caporegime
I don't think it is tolerated - it's criminal damage, and potentially it contravenes another law due to the swearing as well.

Harsher punishments for actions that hurt people's feelings aren't compatible with the freedom of speech that everyone wanted 5 months ago.

Exactly. Catch them and charge them with criminal damage. Job done, jobs a goodun.

Suspended
Where actions and words are more important than symbols? Yes. Some people, as I have already mentioned, are way too sensitive to things that don't hurt them and aren't aimed at them.

I realise you aren't going to accept this, but there is a difference between putting graffiti on a garden fence and putting it on a memorial to the war dead. If you can't see that then I don't know how else to try and explain it.

No, you've erected a straw man argument rather than debate the point you believe is wrong.

Let's get back to what I believed to be wrong, which is that I don't believe violent protest and criminal damage is necessary to make a point and is actually counter-productive.

Going back to my original point, did that bit of spray paint hurt anyone? Has it made a jot of difference to anyone (other than the council employee that needs to clean it up)?

Why does an action need to hurt someone for it to be wrong or unacceptable? It's indefensible and disrespectful. It has also cost the tax payer to rectify; money that could have been put to better use.

Back
Top Bottom