• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
The hate for the Tories runs deep in the industrial heartlands of Wales, the midlands and the north. People have long memories and the wounds caused to families all over the country by Thatcher are still raw.

We haven't seen anything like it in recent memory, except maybe the post 2008 housing crash which is why we have such anti-banker sentiment throughout this country. I suppose if you lose everything you don't easily forget it and I think people under estimate the power of perceived injustice.

I was shocked to see this map showing the old mining regions vs Labour strong holds in the midlands, Wales and the north.

CEjit34WMAA0ohE.jpg:large

Last edited:
Soldato
^

Now that's damn interesting!

Indeed and it leads one to speculate on how the conservatives might be poling in ALL UK home nations if Thatcher had never been Prime Minister. Would the Labour Party even be relevant in the UK if Thatcher hadn't created bad such bad blood?

Anyone who knows the history of elections in the UK knows that, before thatcher came along, Scotland was nowhere near as anti-Tory.

I feel a little conflicted saying that because I also know that many of the old mining regions today have higher levels of employment and higher earning power than in the heydays of mining so i do think mining did need to be transformed.

Caporegime
My Dad and most of his family were miners and they'll never forgive the Tories, it wasn't just the jobs they stripped from the towns and villages it was the communities as well.

You can of course argue that most if not all mining areas are better off now than they would be, I don't think my Dad would have been happy for me to continue the tradition of working down a mine for a living, or maybe he would have been. Either way I can't imagine this generation of fairies would be as keen as they were.

Soldato
After this I found that a friend scraped the BBC website for all the numbers of votes and turnouts, so I went and compared winning majority to turnout. No trend! :o

2nu29z4.png

I've said majority is difference between most votes and second most, in this election. I'd prefer to compare majority in 2010 to turnout in 2015 but don't have the 2010 numbers.

FYI the closest seat this year was the Gower, the Tories taking it from Labour by only 27 votes!

The safest was Knowsley, Labour holding with a majority of 34,655 (78.1% of the votes cast).

Lowest turnout was in Stoke C, 49.9%. Highest was Dunbartonshire E, 81.9%.

Caporegime
The hate for the Tories runs deep in the industrial heartlands of Wales, the midlands and the north. People have long memories and the wounds caused to families all over the country by Thatcher are still raw.
We're constantly told the North is facing unfair austerity compared to the south though.
Newcastle has been getting rid of loads of stuff since the austerity started..
Trying to get "trusts" to take on parks, sports complexes etc

Closing 80% of the libraries (think it was 18 in total closed) ,swimming pools being closed down, arts budget set to 0

18 libraries might sound a lot but were not talking big library buildings.
There was a small library in my sons primary school that got closed down.

Probably the same for most the others that went just little ones that are part of another building but very much appreciated by the local community

The cuts for this year
How the 2015-16 cuts will affect you:

Sure Start and Family Services

A budget cut of £4.67m means that services will only be focused on the the most needy families in Newcastle. While all under fives will be able to access the full Sure Start offer, those in more affluent parts of the city may see additional services change locations, introduce a charge for use or be withdrawn.

Tourist Information Centre, Newcastle

It is proposed that this will close with the loss of six jobs.

Litter

The number of litter bins will be reduced. Streets will only be cleaned in planned areas with less ability to respond to sudden increases of rubbish. Money for street cleaning to continue to its current level is hoped to be gained from city ward budgets and a council tax rise.

Leisure centres

The council hopes to procure a Trust to take over

- Walker Activity Dome

- Centre for Sport

- Elswick Pool

- East End Pool

- All Saints Sports Centre

This would save the council £727,000 and trasfer 38 full time jobs.

Night time noise service

A changed service will respond to the worst cases of antisocial behaviour which are repetitive. Call handlers will be trained to either direct the person concerned about noise directly to the police, or someone from the council will respond the next day. They may call out to monitor noise on a Friday and Saturday night. This is believed to impact people living in South and North Jesmond, South Heaton, Byker and Westgate.

Council tax:
Newcastle City Council propose to raise the tax by 1.95%

When the very first cuts came they closed 80% of the libraries, loads off nurseries etc.

doubt many up here will be voting conservative for a very long time.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot wished they could vote SNP

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think my Dad would have been happy for me to continue the tradition of working down a mine for a living, or maybe he would have been. Either way I can't imagine this generation of fairies would be as keen as they were.

The was talk of re-opening a Welsh mine back in the 00's, the general consensus after they had looked into it was it would be a waste of time as they couldn't ship in immigrants to work it and a 21st century British worker would demand so much money to go down a mine they would make a loss on the coal lol.

Caporegime
Not really, not when 37% voted Toff but that's a different story.

I'm not pro Labor either, doesn't matter who you vote for, you get shafted either way.

So if the Tories are Toffs, does that make Labour " the scrounges"

I agree with the last comment though. I have to say I was a little worried about a coalition government last but now think coalitions are the way forward in british politics, they appear to be better in evening out policies than just an opposition. That said for every conservative/lib dem calition there could be a conservative/UKIP one so...

V F

V F

Soldato
Of course the is currently a small problem with some unscrupulous employers abusing the system by putting people on ZH contracts who shouldn't be, but luckily the Tories have pledged to combat that, unlike Labour who just made the facepalm worth pledge of scrapping ZH contracts.

Explain Sports Direct…

Soldato
Soldato
Explain Sports Direct…

Okay

Sports Direct International plc is a British retailing group. Established in 1982, by Mike Ashley, the company is the United Kingdom's largest sporting retailer, and operates over 500 stores worldwide. The company owns a large number of sporting brands, and trades predominantly under the SportsDirect.com brand. Other retailers owned by the company include USC and Lillywhites. The company operates under low margins.

Sports Direct has been a publicly traded company since 2007 and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. Mike Ashley has continued to hold a majority stake in the business, and his holding has been 61.7 percent since October 2013.

Sporting and fashion brands owned include Donnay, Slazenger, Dunlop (in most markets), Everlast, Kangol, Karrimor and Lonsdale.

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom