*** The official iOS 6 thread ***

Pros
It is faster than before, much more snappy.

Con
Flyover doesn't seem to work on the iPhone 4
Map sucks
There is no Youtube App on the iPad
All these new iTunes and Podcast icons is unncessary
Passbook does nothing at the moment, not even Starbucks

Step backwards in a lot of ways I think, needs 6.0.1 pronto.

stuck on this, restored 3 times now with no luck.

426219_10152116278520363_1238579685_n.jpg

Mmm at first I thought it would be beneficial for them to release it ASAP - but then I thought it would be better for them not to release an app because it could mean better hardware sales in the future...

But I really hope they do release the app - The maps app is now completely useless to me... :(

There are SO many things at play there's really no telling how it'll end.

Right now Apple have made an important part of iOS drastically worse. Apple never does such things. So by keeping Google Maps off iOS Apple are going to get hammered for it. Heck it's now on the front page of The Guardian website. This benefits Google quite a lot.

But.

Having anyone use Google Maps irrespective of platform provides incredibly valuable data for things like traffic and map changes etc. This is equally why Apple just had to get their maps out there. It's the only way to really improve them. Although missing/bad satellite imagery is incredibly odd for a company that easily has the money to shove a few of its own satellites in orbit!

If Google are really wanting to have some fun, they'll release a statement basically saying "Want Google Maps? Buy Android!". IMO that's Apple getting a taste of its own medicine. What'll probably happen is Google will wait until after Christmas. That way Apple get punished as much as they will in lost sales and Google can come in looking like the hero.

All of this assumes Apple would actually let a Google Maps app back onto iOS...

I've updated my iPhone 4 to iOS6 but have decided to hold fire on doing the same for the iPad 2 until there is a proper YouTube solution developed by Google. I really am not so sure iOS6 would have taken the form it's taken on Jobs' watch.

haven't read the whole thread but throwing in my two bits.

obviously maps. SUPER ANNOYING! i didnt want it when i first heard about it and i dont want it now. google is the best and am annoyed that i have apples version. even when they do create the google maps stand alone it wont be the default so it won't work straight and correctly with the other apps. which is really annoying.

Also. any one else lost the ability to have a personal hotspot ? this is a real annoyance, i use it all the time and now i can't. I'm on 3 and have unlimited tethering so its really really bugging me.

also something i noticed which is a nice touch. if you load up mail and drag it to the top to cause it to refresh. it leaves behind a nice blob motion, like its gluping

Regarding Maps...

OK, so who wants to take some bets on Apple's next move?

They're getting utterly slated in the press, technology blogs and enthusiast sites (Mac Rumours withstanding, the ****s) and not a peep from the Cupertino mob as yet.

- Promises for improvements in the Maps app (well, the data within)?
- Backtrack and allow the prodigal mapping son to return to iOS?
- Nothing, sit there and be arrogant?

On the flip side, will Google release an iOS version of Google Maps? Will they let people fester? Will this be a line in the sand and a start of some serious inter-company warring?

Or, will the Jailbreak community bring iOS 5.1.1's Google Maps to iOS6?

I think the most important thing Apple could do here is take a Google style view of crowd sourced improvement where end users contribute and fix the awful data contained within. Whilst that's going on they need to spend some hardcore money investing in decent street level satellite imagery and start getting everything mapped properly.

However I reckon Apple will sit on this for ages, and then release a one liner saying "we're working on improvements" then slowly usher in some changes. They won't admit fault in a major way on a flagship feature for their new iOS version I'd wager.

Updated my little old 3GS, seems a lot faster to be honest, snappier in a lot of things. Not really exhausted all the new features yet but pretty pleased with it.

I think I have broken my phone.

Stuck on the loading bar with apple icon after my 3rd attempt of restoring it (4). My ipad update went through without problems.

iTunes seems to think the phone is working ok but obviously it isnt :(

stuck on this, restored 3 times now with no luck.

426219_10152116278520363_1238579685_n.jpg

Leave it alone for half an hour. Mine (4S) was stuck without the bar moving for over 20 minutes before it decided it was done and came back to life.

Throwing my 2 pence in:

Maps - Not bothered, I rarely used Google Maps anyway, just to find out where things where when I was out and about, but they used to take forever to load that I ended up just using NavFree anyway, which I prefer.

Music - Prefer the new style, looks a lot better.

Passbook - Obviously in the making, but I think this will be brilliant when more companies are on board in the UK.

New Apps - Really like that Podcasts are separated now, can still collate them into a file for those whining about having more apps!

Facebook and Twitter - I like how you can tweet from the notifications menu. And facebook seems to be working with calendars much better. So I shouldn't miss anyone's birthday anymore! Including the wifes...

To sum, nothing really noteworthy, just slight altercations which keep me interested in the phone at the end of the day. Certainly not thinking of going Andriod any time soon. It's still too childlike and slow for me, and I don't need Google in my life as bad as some people it seems!!

- Nothing, sit there and be arrogant?

That, probably :)

I'm sure Apple knew that the Maps app as it stands is not a patch on Google Maps, and knew that they would take some fairly heavy criticism for it. As you say, the only way to correct all the errors and omissions in the database is to open it up to the public and crowdsource improvements.

It's the awful quality of the satellite imagery outside major urban centres which really surprises me, though. I've gone from being able to see my front door, to being able to see my town as a vague suburban blur. It looks like Google Earth did when it was first launched. Even the pictures of London are not really up to scratch when you venture outside of the very centre.

With that massive cash pile which Apple's sitting on, I'm really surprised they didn't blow a billion or two on licensing some decent worldwide imagery - particularly since Flyover is a big feature of the iPhone 5, and with the present pictures it's pretty much unusable. Then again, I hear the pictures are better in the mainland US. It wouldn't be the first time that Apple has treated non-US users as second-class citizens (Siri, anyone?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom