*** The official iOS 6 thread ***

Mine too. I've not used my phone much today. Took it off charge at 10:00 and it's now on 54%. The Phone4 I use as my business phone which is still on IOS5 and has been use a lot today is on 94%.

Strange, i took mine off charge at 7am. Been playing with maps and other stuff, looking at websites and making a few calls / texts - its on 82%

It took over an hour to completely update my iPod touch 4gen from downloading to update completion (the preparing update part and the actual update took the longest amount of time), but the one gripe I have thus far is that my contact list in skype is completely messed up now.

my 3g doesn't seem to work since updating to ios6. I'm on o2, any ideas? It shows '3g' in the top left corner, but simply doesn't connect to anything. I think i'm going to just revert back to 5.

There are SO many things at play there's really no telling how it'll end.

Right now Apple have made an important part of iOS drastically worse. Apple never does such things. So by keeping Google Maps off iOS Apple are going to get hammered for it. Heck it's now on the front page of The Guardian website. This benefits Google quite a lot.

But.

Having anyone use Google Maps irrespective of platform provides incredibly valuable data for things like traffic and map changes etc. This is equally why Apple just had to get their maps out there. It's the only way to really improve them. Although missing/bad satellite imagery is incredibly odd for a company that easily has the money to shove a few of its own satellites in orbit!

If Google are really wanting to have some fun, they'll release a statement basically saying "Want Google Maps? Buy Android!". IMO that's Apple getting a taste of its own medicine. What'll probably happen is Google will wait until after Christmas. That way Apple get punished as much as they will in lost sales and Google can come in looking like the hero.

All of this assumes Apple would actually let a Google Maps app back onto iOS...

Some fair points. The thing I can't get my head around is - like you say - they have enough cash to throw at a fantastic, perfect mapping solution. But instead they've pushed out an app that clearly isn't ready to be used right now. Unless you live in a big city, you're pretty stuffed at the moment :(

All I hope is that they have some master plan, and come back with an awesome solution. But I don't think they'll say anything, and it'll just casually improve over time through updates... But it'll take a long time :(

I have done that, how do you place a pin and go into street view?

Thanks

Ooo not sure, I haven't used it yet - But I'm sure I'll have to soon when I update...

I'm not sure you can get street view though... I may be wrong...

OK, so who wants to take some bets on Apple's next move?

They're getting utterly slated in the press, technology blogs and enthusiast sites (Mac Rumours withstanding, the ****s) and not a peep from the Cupertino mob as yet.

- Promises for improvements in the Maps app (well, the data within)?
- Backtrack and allow the prodigal mapping son to return to iOS?
- Nothing, sit there and be arrogant?

On the flip side, will Google release an iOS version of Google Maps? Will they let people fester? Will this be a line in the sand and a start of some serious inter-company warring?

Or, will the Jailbreak community bring iOS 5.1.1's Google Maps to iOS6?

I think the most important thing Apple could do here is take a Google style view of crowd sourced improvement where end users contribute and fix the awful data contained within. Whilst that's going on they need to spend some hardcore money investing in decent street level satellite imagery and start getting everything mapped properly.

However I reckon Apple will sit on this for ages, and then release a one liner saying "we're working on improvements" then slowly usher in some changes. They won't admit fault in a major way on a flagship feature for their new iOS version I'd wager.

I think they'll just release a small statement saying that they will continue to work on improvements, and they will trickle out very slowly. It's a shame though - As I mentioned above, they aren't short of a few pennies, and could spend some cash on some decent map data.

They definitely won't go back to Google now - That would be them surrendering.

I did a hard reset too, the battery life is still very very poor. 3h 20mins standby, 3h 2mins of use and it went from 100% to 20%.

I updated over the air, maybe that's affected it?

I did a hard reset too, the battery life is still very very poor. 3h 20mins standby, 3h 2mins of use and it went from 100% to 20%.

I updated over the air, maybe that's affected it?

The only way i managed to get past this on the iOS 5 battery issue was a full restore. Turn off iPhone, hold down the home button and plug into PC with iTunes, keep holding the home button until the restore from iTunes image comes up.

You should be able to restore 5.1.1 if you can download it to your computer. Apple normally sign the last version for about a week after the new version comes out.

Shift-restore.

Yeah that's what i was thinking. Just going to be a chore setting the iPhone back up again lol.

Edit: No it won't because iCloud will keep all my settings, wallpaper, home screen app layout etc etc right?! :)

Last edited:
I updated my 4S and Ipad2 to IOS6 last night and I never really gave maps much of a thought because I don't use it that much BUT I completely over-looked the lack of street view :( now I'm not too bothered about the iphone because I'll probably get an S3 or similar in December and if I did get the iphone 5, then I'd have no choice but to have IOS6 but it's suddenly dawned on me how much I used street view on the ipad 2. With my Ipad 2, I have no intention of replacing it for as long as possible. If you go to street view it just says install flash. Hopefully there will be a way of using soon, probably using an app but I do feel a bit sad about it to be honest.

Updated my ipod touch 4th gen and it was not worth it, app store is very slow and constantly keep crashing, checked apple forums and everyone is having the same problem.

This will definitely stop me from updating my new ipad to the latest firmware for the time being until proper ipad youtube app and google maps app is released.

upgraded mine & my father's ipad (both 3rd gen/3g), all seems fine, siri is fun, not sure on usefulness however

overall seems snappier, maps is a write off (I'm on the Isle of Man, entire island is in low res) but rarely used other than messing round

iMessage / facetime seems to work much better (wifi) so happy overall so far

Back
Top Bottom