Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Did anyone upgrade from a standard iphone 11?

was it worth it?

Im in the same place. I think I’m going to wait for the 14 to come out and then upgrade to the 13 mini. I absolutely detest my iPhone 11, for me the worst iPhone I’ve ever owned. Dislike the size so much. The phone is the least used of all my devices so no need to have a bigger screen.

Soldato
Well I finally caved and picked up a 13 Pro Max from one of those eBay retailers with the discount - £824 I paid. Happy to report the phone looks like new and still has 100% battery health.
The increase in size wasn't quite as jarring as I'd expected - although as I mentioned previously I'd recently been issued with a larger phone from work so maybe that helped.
The one thing I wasn't expecting was the depth/thickness of the camera bump, that thing is huge!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Well I finally caved and picked up a 13 Pro Max from one of those eBay retailers with the discount - £824 I paid. Happy to report the phone looks like new and still has 100% battery health.
The increase in size wasn't quite as jarring as I'd expected - although as I mentioned previously I'd recently been issued with a larger phone from work so maybe that helped.
The one thing I wasn't expecting was the depth/thickness of the camera bump, that thing is huge!

Yup those cameras are thiccc. But they do capture a decent amount of light.

Soldato
So I've had might iPhone 13 PM for over a week now, it's fairly meaty weight wise compared to my XR but screen the is glorious, speaks/sound comes out as stereo compared to the XR, watched a few Top Boy episodes on it, YouTube etc it's faultless, camera is next level which is what I upgraded for really plus the 256GB storage!

Soldato
Still tempted to get a 13 soon despite trying to hold out for the 14. The 13 (non-Pro) doesn't offer that much more over my current XS which I've had since launch, but then I don't see the 14 changing that much either aside from the new hole+pill design at the top which will just remain as dead space anyway...

Caporegime
Tried some XBox cloud gaming on my iPad mini 4. It’s practically a non starter. I think it should be capable as it’s only playing video but it chewed through 30% battery in 10 minutes at 10fps. Then I thought, the equivalent of the A8 processor would be an iPhone 6 which is presumably useless today.

So have decided to go with an iPhone instead of a new iPad. Does the iPhone 13 play XBox cloud flawlessly from anyone’s experience here?

Soldato
Tried some XBox cloud gaming on my iPad mini 4. It’s practically a non starter. I think it should be capable as it’s only playing video but it chewed through 30% battery in 10 minutes at 10fps. Then I thought, the equivalent of the A8 processor would be an iPhone 6 which is presumably useless today.

So have decided to go with an iPhone instead of a new iPad. Does the iPhone 13 play XBox cloud flawlessly from anyone’s experience here?

Sorry but why on earth would you want to play Xbox games on an iphone?

That’s the most gimmicky thing I’ve ever heard. You’ll probably play it for 10 minutes then never again.

Get an iPad if that’s your main reason.

Caporegime
Sorry but why on earth would you want to play Xbox games on an iphone?

That’s the most gimmicky thing I’ve ever heard. You’ll probably play it for 10 minutes then never again.

Get an iPad if that’s your main reason.

Sorry, I wasn't painting the whole picture - I don't own a smartphone whatsoever. I'm still rocking a Nokia from 2001!!! So the XBox stuff is purely a bonus. I am at the point where I need some kind of cellular connectivity now, I could go for an iPad with wireless but I'm also looking to replace an iPod touch 5th generation as well - the iPod being the device I go running with. So it would be nice to combine two devices into one and I can hardly jog about with an iPad. :D

Caporegime
Tried to buy an iPhone for my mother-in-law yesterday, jeez so much for the Apple experience. Multiple genius people couldn't help us, you need to talk to that one over there. And then when we're ready - do you have an appointment/you need one.

I remember back in the days, not being able to walk several meters in an Apple store without getting hounded by them, and why can't I go into a shop and buy a phone :p?

Edit - any one tried a 13 Pro and Pro Max. The battery on the PM seems insane, just wondered how the Pro fairs? GSM Arena didn't seem to think it was that good but I got the impression from comments - it is (just not quite as good as the Pro Max).

Edit - ah didn't realise how much bigger the battery in the PM is compared to the Pro.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I went on a walkabout today and decided I'd do something I've never done before - a side-by-side comparison between the Pro Max camera and a "proper" camera (in this case my Fuji X-S10 with 15-45mm lens).
I am not a phone camera person, I never have been and I absolutely loathe how most YouTube reviews for phones are over 50% dedicated to the camera HOWEVER, I was willing to do a small test just to see how it all stacks up.

I don't know if I'd say I was pleasantly surprised by the iPhone performance - given the hype (justified or otherwise) I was expecting a decent performance. The photos are excellent and I'd say the best I've ever had from a phone however I have absolutely no authority on phone camera performance.

All that said, in a side-by-side comparison it is plain as day that it still doesn't hold a candle to a dedicated camera - even one with a budget lens attached. The real disappointment with the iPhone photos was just the sheer amount of post processing - over sharpened and too much HDR. I assume the only way around that is to shoot in ProRaw?

So, I guess the TL;DR is (IMO) there is no way a phone, or certainly this phone, could replace a dedicated camera if accurate and realistic photos are the name of the game.

Soldato
Ordered an Apple MagSafe Duo Charger this morning as I travel a fair bit for business and it’s super convenient, I’ve got the Apple 20w charger, got it for a good price off the bay (reputable seller)

Soldato
Sorry, I wasn't painting the whole picture - I don't own a smartphone whatsoever. I'm still rocking a Nokia from 2001!!! So the XBox stuff is purely a bonus. I am at the point where I need some kind of cellular connectivity now, I could go for an iPad with wireless but I'm also looking to replace an iPod touch 5th generation as well - the iPod being the device I go running with. So it would be nice to combine two devices into one and I can hardly jog about with an iPad. :D

Ah fair enough, seen as you’re use to having a Nokia I’d maybe consider going down the route of a iphone SE (just been updated) + Apple Watch SE and that’ll be slightly more than the cost of the base 13. You’ll then have the best of both worlds and can just wear the watch for going out on runs - my preferred method. Could always return them if you don’t get on with that set up and get the more powerful 13 iphone.

Caporegime
Ah fair enough, seen as you’re use to having a Nokia I’d maybe consider going down the route of a iphone SE (just been updated) + Apple Watch SE and that’ll be slightly more than the cost of the base 13. You’ll then have the best of both worlds and can just wear the watch for going out on runs - my preferred method. Could always return them if you don’t get on with that set up and get the more powerful 13 iphone.

Ooh, I never thought of that. I'll investigate further.

Caporegime
Can someone please tell me the easiest way to transfer SMS messages from Android to iOS? The kicker is they're saved on one Apple account but for various reasons, we set up my mother-in-law on a new Apple account when she got her 13 Mini. I have them exported as a CSV file and tried a couple of transfer apps last night but nothing worked.

Back
Top Bottom