Poll: *** The Official iPhone 15 thread (it has USB-C and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Are you getting an iPhone 15?

• Total voters
Soldato
Had a very weird issue this morning.

I couldn’t get the screen to wake up, it was just a black screen but I could hear it was working as I was taking screenshots and I could hear the click noise that happens. Also because I know basically where everything is on the phone, I could swipe up to go to the Home Screen, swipe down to open the control centre and operate the torch.

Had to press and release the volume up, then press and release volume down followed by holding the power button for 10 seconds to hard reset the phone.

Caporegime
I've never had as much trouble setting up a new iPhone as this one. I'm regretting not letting them do it in store! Do the phone to phone transfer and it sat there for hours doing nothing. Tried that twice and now even the restore from Mac back up is failing. It wants me to set as new then try and restore. Normally takes me about 5 minutes!

Soldato
I just enabled the pro raw setting in camera settings on my 15pro, this gives me the option of HEIF max 48mp, if I enable Live Photo I get a cross through the HEIFmax symbol, ok I get that but what would the Live Photo be capturing at would it be jpeg 24mp?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Had my 15PM up and running for a week now and I’m very happy with it. No it’s not a massive upgrade over the 13 PM (I never expected it to be) but there are enough little improvements that I can appreciate the change. Going somewhat against the grain, I’ve actually found the AOD to be the most useful feature. So much so that when my series 5 watch finally kicks the bucket I might not even replace it.
Otherwise, I’ve been really impressed with the whole buying process. I ordered on Tuesday evening with a scheduled delivery of Thursday - it actually arrived on Wednesday - and living in Northern Ireland that is no mean feat. Trade in pack arrived Thursday, I sent it off on Monday and my full £480 was confirmed this afternoon. The best thing is that looking on eBay it seems like I would have struggled to even get that amount and would have had to deal with that cesspit.

Underboss
Got my 15 Pro setup now, it's a big change coming from 14 years of Android...I do like it so far.

The iOS transfer app on Android to iPhone made it seamless, sadly I'd already started the setup on my iPhone as I needed to do the number port process, once that was done I wiped the iPhone and it was all done in around 15mins! Very impressed

Soldato
I've had my 15 Pro Max for a few weeks now. Initially a bit worried about the change to the Max, but no issues so far, although it is obviously a bit more snug in my jeans pocket.
I've changed the way I behave with battery now. I used to just plug my 13 Pro in overnight religiously, but the 15 has such a pronounced increase in life that I often just charge it up when I can, then leave it until the next opportunity, and not needing to plug it in overnight.
I may go back to this and use the 80% max charge option, not sure yet.

Holding out for a QI2 charger when they come out potentially too.

Soldato
I've had my 15 Pro Max for a few weeks now. Initially a bit worried about the change to the Max, but no issues so far, although it is obviously a bit more snug in my jeans pocket.
I've changed the way I behave with battery now. I used to just plug my 13 Pro in overnight religiously, but the 15 has such a pronounced increase in life that I often just charge it up when I can, then leave it until the next opportunity, and not needing to plug it in overnight.
I may go back to this and use the 80% max charge option, not sure yet.

Holding out for a QI2 charger when they come out potentially too.

I got the Anker cube 3in1, bit pricey but feels quality, was in a Black Friday deal recently. I just charge overnight now to 80% limit and have my iPhone as a bedside clock and alarm in the new standby mode.

I have always on display disabled, I’m trying to work out the benefit of it other than seeing the time displayed, it goes off as well with it enabled which makes even more pointless. Anyone enlighten me of the advantages?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have always on display disabled, I’m trying to work out the benefit of it other than seeing the time displayed, it goes off as well with it enabled which makes even more pointless. Anyone enlighten me of the advantages?
As I mentioned above, I've found it very useful (for my needs anyway). I don't much care for the Apple Watch (or any watch truth be told) however I do value it when I'm out and about and want to keep my phone in my pocket or for when I'm driving then I can get a heads up of notifications without having to check the phone. Conversely, when I'm at home or work I now no longer need the watch as I have everything I need at a glance on my AOD. I do appreciate there is a certain redundancy between the AOD and the Watch, but as I say, this has allowed me to get away from the watch slightly.

Soldato
As I mentioned above, I've found it very useful (for my needs anyway). I don't much care for the Apple Watch (or any watch truth be told) however I do value it when I'm out and about and want to keep my phone in my pocket or for when I'm driving then I can get a heads up of notifications without having to check the phone. Conversely, when I'm at home or work I now no longer need the watch as I have everything I need at a glance on my AOD. I do appreciate there is a certain redundancy between the AOD and the Watch, but as I say, this has allowed me to get away from the watch slightly.

Cool, so what sort of things does AOD help with for you, is it just glancing to see any important notifications, current weather and so on?

My lock screen is quite boring you see, all I have is the time on it displayed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool, so what sort of things does AOD help with for you, is it just glancing to see any important notifications, current weather and so on?

My lock screen is quite boring you see, all I have is the time on it displayed.
Yeah primarily notifications. It's handy that I can leave the phone down somewhere (say the kitchen table) and then see at a glance when I pass it if there are any notifications. It's certainly nothing revolutionary but it helps me in my day-to-day.
And having the time always visible doesn't do any harm.

Last edited:
Associate
got the 15 pro max over the weekend, first major thing I noticed vs the 12 pro max I had been using for the past few years is how it feels in your hand! a MUCH nicer phone to hold due to it being a bit more curved and narrower

everything else seems great, can see me holding onto this phone for a good few years! Glad I waited a couple months before getting it so any initial issues were sorted by software updates and potentially fixing any hardware issue in later batches vs day 1 buyers

Caporegime
My son needed a new phone, so I gave him my old 11 and picked myself up a 15. Doesn’t feel any faster or any different from the 11 at all apart from better in the hand. I never much liked the edges on the 11.

Im sure the camera is a bit better but I’ve not really tested it yet and the battery lasts me an absolute age like the 11 did when that was new. I’d forgotten after 4 years how long they can last.

Associate
My son needed a new phone, so I gave him my old 11 and picked myself up a 15. Doesn’t feel any faster or any different from the 11 at all apart from better in the hand. I never much liked the edges on the 11.

Im sure the camera is a bit better but I’ve not really tested it yet and the battery lasts me an absolute age like the 11 did when that was new. I’d forgotten after 4 years how long they can last.

its funny how much a new battery change can feel.

Also when it comes to speed, I feel you only notice a difference when its current phone/current IOS vs old phone/current IOS

the iphone 11 using the latest IOS at the time of release probably feels the same performance wise as the 15 does with ios 17 does currently.

Man of Honour
Having had every phone on release day since the original iPhone, I've always loved them and never thought of moving away to another phone. However, this has to be the worst phone I've ever owned, partly due to a combination of bugs present in iOS since iOS17 but also a couple of infuriating hardware issues with the 15 Pro Max. The thinner bezels mean I'm constantly registering touches at the edges of the screen with my hands while holding it, so constantly scrolling to the top of a pages in Safari, going back to the home screen or other screens when using apps, the Wi-Fi chip in it seems to be absolutely terrible, it never reconnects back to a network automatically, for example when I get home. I know there was a Wi-Fi bug in iOS but that's supposedly been fixed, yet it still does it for me and it did it on the 15 since I've owned it and there's another hardware issue that I can't remember right now but it bugs the hell out of me, will update the post when it comes to me.

I've even started looking at a temporary Android phone to tide me over until the 16 :mad:

Associate
Having had every phone on release day since the original iPhone, I've always loved them and never thought of moving away to another phone. However, this has to be the worst phone I've ever owned, partly due to a combination of bugs present in iOS since iOS17 but also a couple of infuriating hardware issues with the 15 Pro Max. The thinner bezels mean I'm constantly registering touches at the edges of the screen with my hands while holding it, so constantly scrolling to the top of a pages in Safari, going back to the home screen or other screens when using apps, the Wi-Fi chip in it seems to be absolutely terrible, it never reconnects back to a network automatically, for example when I get home. I know there was a Wi-Fi bug in iOS but that's supposedly been fixed, yet it still does it for me and it did it on the 15 since I've owned it and there's another hardware issue that I can't remember right now but it bugs the hell out of me, will update the post when it comes to me.

I've even started looking at a temporary Android phone to tide me over until the 16 :mad:
I have not experienced any of the issues you're currently experiencing.

Man of Honour
I have none of the Wi-fi issues that you have, maybe you just have a dud?

I thought so too, so had it swapped out under Apple Care+. No change.

A couple of people I've spoke to have the same issue with Wi-Fi so it's definitely not an isolated incident

Regarding the screen issue, I think that's just the way I hold the phone, so not necessarily a problem with the phone itself, but it's an issue I'm only seeing since the thinner bezels

Soldato
OK this about my 13PM but should be identical to the 15PM. The old thread has died.

I'm slightly confused. I am currently on Smarty for £12 a month which is fine. I get unlimited minutes and texts and 125GB of data. The only thing I'm not happy with is that it uses a SIM card. So I thought I'd sign up for a Three account and get an eSIM from them and then use the SIM slot for a business number.

Does that sound right?

Edit: Ignore me. Figured it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom