• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Yea the mouse like control via the keyboard is amazing.
The iPad has it (with no 3D Touch) by long-pressing the space bar, and I actually prefer it to the 3D Touch on my iPhone X. I think 3D Touch was a mistake -- it overloads too many things onto touch, it's super unreliable, and it's virtually undiscoverable.

I imagine you need 3D touch for the pressure sensitive text highlighting though? Which is a big part of what makes it so good.

it's super unreliable, and it's virtually undiscoverable.

I find it reliable, I do agree is a very poorly onboarded feature though, which probably in turn impacts their usage statistics for the feature.

Smart phones and iOS, especially on the new home button free hardware, is too complex now not to have better instructions, onboarding and tutorials built in. The 'Tips' app is a shambles.

Wouldn’t say it’s hassle you sign up and apply the code and they’ll credit your account in 30 days.

It’s 10% for electrical and 20% for anything else, but you could be lucky and get 20%.

I did it two years ago with my phone prior to the iPhone 7 but ended up getting a 45% discount because they cocked up. Basically they applied the discount twice.
They did notice like a year later and try to repossess that money back, but I got it back after a few phone calls...and closed account.

How I wish I could get a 45% discount on my XS I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

I closed my account a year ago so I’m hoping I could qualify as a “new” customer, but I think I’d only bite if I could get 20% off.

iPhone X 64GB now £849 on Very. If you can get the 10% off that makes it £764. I’m quite tempted, yes the CPU is a year older but the better screen and and second lens makes it a better buy than the XR - IMO of course :-p

One of the conundrums I have is that over time I have come to use more and more of Google’s apps both on my iPad and iPhone. I don’t use Apple Mail, Safari, Photos, iMessage, Apple Maps or iCloud etc. etc.

I just prefer Google’s suite of apps which I got familiar with through my Android phones. This is why I haven’t as yet replaced my iPhone 7 as I wonder if there’s any real benefit of me using an iPhone when I don’t use their apps for iOS.

The irony is their core market is not people with disposable income. The vast majority of their customers buy an iPhone on tick i.e. monthly contracts. It’s older people like myself who are the ones with disposable income but aren’t swayed by the ridiculous hype so we don’t buy into the illusion.

We look at the entire designer industry celebrity culture obsession and simply shake our collective heads in disbelief. It’s precisely because we don’t fall for all the sales guff from many varied sources that we have disposable income.

Of course their target market is people with lots of disposable income...

disposable income
noun
  1. income remaining after deduction of taxes and social security charges, available to be spent or saved as one wishes.

Having disposable income doesn't mean you have cash in the bank, even if you spend every penny every month you can still have huge amounts of disposable income. Just because someone chooses to finance it instead of buying outright doesn't change they fact they have disposable income. Contrary to what the main stream media report it's not just old people with lots of disposable income, young people in this country have huge amounts of disposable income, more of it than ever. Most just choose not to save hard for a house when they come out of education and spend every penny they can....

Look at the festival scene, its exploded over the last decade and there is clearly no young people there with disposable income, oh wait....
Again look at my point about the car leasing/pcp market, I have lost count of the number of 22-35 year old's who lease their brand new fiesta, cant be without that new number plate you know...
Students in particular have huge amounts of disposable income, why do you think there are all sorts of offers to get them in the door (it's not because they are poor...), there are so many 18-25's year old's that wouldn't even think twice before dropping a ton on a night out....
How many 25-35 year old's do you know that haven't been abroad at least once in the last year?

That being said Apples sales are very strong through all age demographics below 65, not just young or middle aged.

The reasons for the disposable income in this instance is irrelevant. What I said is the more mature demographic are the ones with the disposable income (in the main) - which is true, you've just confirmed this yourself.

I was answering b0rn2sk8 post where it was stated that Apple's core market are those with disposable income. I replied the majority of iPhone customers buy them on tick not cash, again which is true. Another little known fact is that women are the biggest buyers of the iPhone in the UK, hence why there is this backlash against Apple for scrapping the SE - women have smaller hands.

Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

The iPhone SE didn't sell 'well', it never has nor did Apple ever intend it do so. Apple's best selling phone is the flagship, by a country mile, year in, year out. Killing off the SE form factor will cost them very little. I see just as many 'plus sized' phones in the hands of women as I do men, its noting to do with the size of people's hands more the size of their wallet. A modern phone is pretty much a two hand job no matter who you buy it from...

Again, buying a phone on contract doesn't mean you don't have disposable income, its just a choice between paying for something outright or over time. Most people don't do the total cost calculation because they:
A) Don't want to know how much it will actually cost
B) Don't care and are happy with X/month
C) Prefer to spread the cost over time rather than paying it out or unable to actually save any money so X/month is a better arrangement for them
D) Are just naive and don't realise they are paying over the odds.

And back to topic....

Having disposable income doesn't mean you have cash in the bank, even if you spend every penny every month you can still have huge amounts of disposable income. Just because someone chooses to finance it instead of buying outright doesn't change they fact they have disposable income. Contrary to what the main stream media report it's not just old people with lots of disposable income, young people in this country have huge amounts of disposable income, more of it than ever. Most just choose not to save hard for a house when they come out of education and spend every penny they can....

Look at the festival scene, its exploded over the last decade and there is clearly no young people there with disposable income, oh wait....
Again look at my point about the car leasing/pcp market, I have lost count of the number of 22-35 year old's who lease their brand new fiesta, cant be without that new number plate you know...
Students in particular have huge amounts of disposable income, why do you think there are all sorts of offers to get them in the door (it's not because they are poor...), there are so many 18-25's year old's that wouldn't even think twice before dropping a ton on a night out....
How many 25-35 year old's do you know that haven't been abroad at least once in the last year?

It looks like you are at odds with the experts - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41627238 if you can't pay cash then you can't afford it was the maxim I was taught growing up, it's a great rule to live by. You need a decent buffer of savings behind you should the worst happen - that's disposable income.

The iPhone SE didn't sell 'well', it never has nor did Apple ever intend it do so. Apple's best selling phone is the flagship, by a country mile, year in, year out. Killing off the SE form factor will cost them very little. I see just as many 'plus sized' phones in the hands of women as I do men, its noting to do with the size of people's hands more the size of their wallet. A modern phone is pretty much a two hand job no matter who you buy it from...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-big-size-women-sexist-feminist-a8537171.html

You need to read the news a bit more.

Anyway, now that's settled, back to the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you are at odds with the experts - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41627238 if you can't pay cash then you can't afford it was the maxim I was taught growing up, it's a great rule to live by. You need a decent buffer of savings behind you should the worst happen - that's disposable income.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-big-size-women-sexist-feminist-a8537171.html

You need to read the news a bit more.

Anyway, now that's settled, back to the thread.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ing-phones-big-average-female-hand-announces/

Ahem :D

Doh, beat me to it! My ickle hands just couldn't type fast enough.

'Campaigners' have moaned :rolleyes:, so professional moaners have moaned.... I'm shocked!

Fairly sure Apple's sales data, market research and usage statistics > 'feminist campaigners' who can't handle anything bigger than 4". Like I said any decent phone these days needs 2 hands to do some tasks, it doesn't matter who you are.

Again you are correct you do need a decent buffer but that isn't just what makes up disposable income, it's covers much more than that. Disposable income is money that you have free to spend of what you want after essential bills like tax, basic food, shelter. The money that makes up the 'disposable' part is basically all other spending like a meal out, monthly phone bill, sky TV or a car lease. Finance isn't a bad thing, most normal people use it (mortgage) and if you use it sensibly it serves a vital function, but that doesn't stop people taking out Wonga loans to go out on the lash. Even if you took home £60k/year and had a modest house, its unlikely you are going to have the cash to purchase a new car, that doesn't make leasing/pcp a bad idea.

Debt might be well be growing (its growing across the board, not just young people), its a symptom of low interest rates. When you can borrow £7.5k over 3 years and only pay £312 in interest, no wonder people are using it. A lot of people get themselves into difficulty due to poor decision making and wanting a quick fix, this isn't anything new but if you are taking out loans for basic living expenses you are doing it wrong. But again like I said it doesn't preclude the fact there are millions of 18-40 year old people with huge amounts of disposable income, not everyone is broke, far from it. Even those that are broke still drop silly amounts of money on things like holidays and phones ahead of house deposits.

Also a lot of phone contracts can cheaper than buying outright and buying service on its own, just not typically on a flagship iPhone.

Last edited:
I had to slap myself the other morning.

Thursday night I prepared for early pre-order.

I went into the Apple Stord app... checked all the account and payment bits were up to date and reconfirmed it all to make sure order would be quick and easy in the morning.

Went out for dinner with friends that evening & completely forgot about it.

Got back, set my alarm for 10 to have a few snoozes before I had to get up at 11 to get ready for meeting (unusual, thankfully light work day & always take advantage of a little extra sleep when I can).

Got up, had breakfast, half way through eating omelette, I notice the email that orders are live.

Grrr... now I have to wait til mid-October :(

LOL... first world problems :/

Patience is not one of my virtues... especially when it comes to waiting for new toys.

Fancy the extra battery life of the larger phone this time, even if the size might be annoying for pockets and single hand operation (while the other hand is occupied, obvs :eek:)

I’d agree with that... if you look at monthly rolling figures, it’s much more difficult to take into account future life factors and something completely out of your control can leave you with a mountain of debt you can’t afford any more because of a change in circumstance.

And yeah, disposable income is more than just taxes and social security... it’s all the basics, like roof over your head, food in your belly and whatever else... with room needed for the unexpected.

It’s easy to get sucked into the consumerism culture and buy into what you can’t guarantee you can afford because it’s being offered to you immediately with a little squiggle to pay a fraction of the cost per month over a long period.

I’ve been there, it’s not fun when you have to let a payment slip because you’ve had to priories the things that are actually important.

But heck, even my post above demonstrates clearly... I still very much have the “I want it yesterday” bug... can’t help it, I like the shiny... must’ve been a magpie in a past life.

We humans get wrapped up in our emotions and they can lead where logic should be allowed to prosper... advertisers target this part of us because they know it works and they’ve become very good at it, it’s one of the reasons I try to avoid it as much as possible and haven’t watched broadcast TV in my home for many years... although still watch certain shows and films which have similar things built into them all the time.

Even though I have a rough idea of what to look for, am actively working to avoid it hooking me in and am lucky to have more capable mental faculties than your average Joe, it still gets me.

Would love to see that form of emotional manipulation dialed back... it’s an altered form of subliminal messaging, which in its basic form was banned a long time ago. Can’t blame many for playing along with the game & picking the less logical option to satiate their cravings, whether their own or “implanted” by the content they surround themselves with... even exposing yourself to it is often not a conscious choice.

So the only answer is to shrug off all forms of media and go live in a cave, right?

:D :D :D

So talking about the phone size and how easy it is to use, I have a 7+ at the moment and I make a lot of use of double tapping the home button to drop the screen down to make it easier to hit stuff at the top of the screen.

How does that work now they isn’t a home button?

So talking about the phone size and how easy it is to use, I have a 7+ at the moment and I make a lot of use of double tapping the home button to drop the screen down to make it easier to hit stuff at the top of the screen.

How does that work now they isn’t a home button?

The iPhone SE didn't sell 'well', it never has nor did Apple ever intend it do so. Apple's best selling phone is the flagship, by a country mile, year in, year out. Killing off the SE form factor will cost them very little. I see just as many 'plus sized' phones in the hands of women as I do men, its noting to do with the size of people's hands more the size of their wallet.

Apple never releases actual sales data per model, but most sources show a picture that is nowhere near as clearcut as you suggest:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-most-popular-model-newzoo-chart-2017-7

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-strong-are-iphone-x-sales/

Anecdotally, I know more people with an iPhone SE than any other model iPhone. Best selling in one year or one quarter doesn't transale to actual marketshare overall - sales of the SE by all accounts have been consistent (heck, wasn't it the UK's best selling phone at one point with 10% of sales?) and now that Apple has killed off the small iPhone, it's banking on those customers moving to a larger phone when it comes to upgrade. Many may not want to and will be forced to look elsewhere.

Apple has released bigger more expensive phones for one reason: slowing sales due to people keeping their phones for longer. It's needs to maintain it's margins, but it's a risky strategy if people look elsewhere when they do upgrade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom