• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
I might be going mad here but I can randomly feel my iPhone Xs vibrate but when I look at it, there’s no notifications!

You positive? Could be phantom vibrations.

The other usual suspect is your mail client checking for new email in the background.

Open notifications, mail, and for each email account click sounds and scroll up. At the top first option will be a vibrate setting.

Soldato
Got a Popsocket for my XS Max (slightly below centre positioning) - great little accessory as it removes the requirement for any case to also be grippy, which the ultra-thin one I'm using atm certainly isn't...

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent whatsapp web client on iPhone? Really wish Apple would allow installing duplicate apps it's quite frustrating. So far I am trying to use whatsapp web as a safari shortcut which works well enough but can't find an app that would do a better job. Tried Wxpad so far and it is actually worse than the web client

Soldato
Is there a way to quick launch the camera app without touching the screen?

Eg with my current phone I can double press the power button as I'm taking the phone out of my pocket and immediately take a photo by the time I've raised the phone to my face. Does such a thing exist with an iPhone or do you have to use the icon on the lock screen?

Last edited:
Soldato
Darn! Ok thanks for clearing up.
Seriously thinking about making the jump over but there are quite a few "quality of life" things I'd miss from android I think.

If you're going to go Android, absolutely go for a Pixel/OnePlus/Nokia, i.e. something with stock Android. The polish is excellent on it, and while I love the XS, I really miss my Pixel. The UI was absolutely buttery, and made more sense to me than a lot of iOS. I love iOS for its raw speed and consistency, but a few thinks like having to go to settings to change the settings of an app, inconsistent back button placement and lack of true multitasking do annoy me at times. There's a lot of control that is taken away from you in iOS.

In terms of gestures, the XS IS the best at it. It's very natural, and interacts with the user too; it's very harmonious. The optimisation of Apple's apps on iOS is excellent - the software works seamlessly with the hardware, and the results are at times breathtaking. Safari is a great example. It's so much quicker at loading web pages, especially poorly optimised ad heavy ones (i.e. the majority) that it makes using Chrome on anything a chore.

Android, for me, is only at its best when you're using a stock (or skin-less) version of it; I would rather have an iPhone over a Samsung device, for example. Samsung's UI (Even the new one) is still slow compared to everything else. Stutters, slow downs and inconsistencies take away from the overall experience. I don't care how good it is vs older versions, it's still comparatively bad.

The reason I love Android is because performing day to day tasks on it is quicker. I like to spend the least amount of time on my phone as possible - efficiency is key. It feels like it has been designed with this in mind. iOS is anything but - it feels like it has been designed for people that aren't well versed with technology. It's simple, but not efficient. Thankfully, the OS and UI is quick and clean enough that it doesn't annoy me too much.

I'm lucky, however - I've never locked myself in to 1 ecosystem. I use cross platform apps for everything, so I can switch with ease.

Google photos for, well, photos, Whatsapp, Lastpass....

Soldato
I'm getting fed up with my Xs waking up when it's in my pocket, and sometimes (and somehow!) unlocking!
Two days ago it somehow called the emergency contact on my phone (which is my parents) back in the UK, whilst I was in Perth, Australia. It called them 3 times in my pocket, 3am there time it was!

When the phone is in my running vest, when I skip tracks or adjust the volume it must wake the screen up, and then often unlocks.

It's a great phone, but I often think there are serious drawbacks to having a physical home button at times. I've had to resort to turning off 'raise to wake' to help reduce the random unlocks. Added to the fact there's STILL that stupid bug where the phone wakes up and doesn't go back to sleep again! I've had many occasions where I've taken the phone out of my pocket to see the screen is already on (and must have been on the whole time).

Sort it out Apple!

/rant

Soldato
I'm getting fed up with my Xs waking up when it's in my pocket, and sometimes (and somehow!) unlocking!
Two days ago it somehow called the emergency contact on my phone (which is my parents) back in the UK, whilst I was in Perth, Australia. It called them 3 times in my pocket, 3am there time it was!

I think this has been happening to me too!

Multiple times over the last 6 months I've found out that I've accidentally pocket dialed an emergency contact in the the US.

I'm not really sure how it keeps happening, unless it's because the person shows up when you select 'Emergency' and then 'Medical ID" from the lock screen.

Soldato
Has anyone had issues with their iPhone XS Max not getting a signal?

WiFi works fine but I get no cellular at all. Changed sim and it made no difference, put my sim in something else and it’s fine.

Tried: rebooting, airplane mode, turned off 4g and turned off auto select network.

When I turned off 4g it seemed to get a signal for a moment or so but then nothing.

Guessing something terminal in the phone? There’s no software updates waiting, wonder if it’s worth doing a beta update?

Soldato
I spent most of yesterday evening on the phone to Apple, I was close to losing my patience a few times. They tried to call back today but I've been out on the bike all day so I'll have to try them tomorrow.

If I don't get anywhere it'll be a 4hr return trip to the closest Apple store so fingers crossed.

Soldato
Trying out the “Reduce Motion” option in accessibility options, which gets rid of most of the swipe and screen change animations. The phone actually feels that little bit snappier (not that it feels slow anyway.. but everything feels more instant)

Soldato
Ended up being offered a new phone after way too many phone calls. For some reason I kept being out through to the USA so calls were 10pm-midnight, no idea why I wasn't put through to someone in the UK?

I cannot wait to get rid of the nexus 6p that I'm currently using...

Soldato
Trying out the “Reduce Motion” option in accessibility options, which gets rid of most of the swipe and screen change animations. The phone actually feels that little bit snappier (not that it feels slow anyway.. but everything feels more instant)
I always turn that off, the phone feels much better without the animations.

Associate

When the phone is in my running vest, when I skip tracks or adjust the volume it must wake the screen up, and then often unlocks.

It's a great phone, but I often think there are serious drawbacks to having a physical home button at times. I've had to resort to turning off 'raise to wake' to help reduce the random unlocks. Added to the fact there's STILL that stupid bug where the phone wakes up and doesn't go back to sleep again! I've had many occasions where I've taken the phone out of my pocket to see the screen is already on (and must have been on the whole time).

Sort it out Apple!

/rant

Hmm I think your post probably just put me off getting an iPhone now. That sounds like something my pixel would do (caused it seems by accidentally triggering the FP reader in my pocket). I thought the Apple devices would be immune from that due to facing Face ID. Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom