***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

This phone feels like a failed promise to me- what do I mean?

Well there are great things about it and bad things.

The display resolution is great. But the colours are washed out compared to even other LCD displays like I have on the padfone 2 here. It is also jerky as hell most of the time and don't get me started on battery life... some of those issues will be fixed but a software update but how Google released it like this with so many bugs is weird.

The build quality and fell is fantastic though- I much prefer of too the padfone but the nexus doesn't come close performance wise despite having the same internals exactly. Is a confusing mess.
Sorry to sidetrack but when was the Padfone 2 released?!

What phone were you using before? Is this really worth ignoring the HTC One X/X+ and Samsung GS3 for? I'm nearing the end of my 24 month HTC Sensation contract and I don't know what to go for next. I know the specs for the Nexus 4 pretty much blow everything out of the water but the availability issues concern me. It won't be before the end of Feburary 2013 that I can upgrade so hopefully the availability issues for the Nexus 4 will be gone by then.

I was using a Galaxy Nexus, prior to that I was using a Galaxy SII. I suppose I'll answer that question with the reasons why I didn't jump ship from the Galaxy Nexus prior to the release of the Nexus 4; clearly the One X family and the Galaxy SIII are better handsets than the Galaxy Nexus from a hardware point of view.

Galaxy SIII
After the power house that the Galaxy SII was, I was really looking forward to the release of the Galaxy SIII and Samsung got everything right on the hardware front with the great camera, Exynos 4412 and MicroSD.

However, what I couldn't accept is the cheap and shiny plastic that houses the great hardware. I honestly can feel the phone give when placing two hands on the devices and twisting slightly, as if you were ringing a towel dry.

I actually like TouchWiz too, the Samsung Galaxy Camera (that I also own) has the same version of TouchWiz and it adds some nice enhancements but in reality, they're not enhancements that you can't live without. i.e the device vibrating when you pick it up and has a missed notification is a nice touch but not the be all and end all.

HTC One X
This one is quite easy, a HTC One X with a different SoC inside it and stock Android would be the perfect phone. I love the build quality, screen and the f2.0 camera on the One X is incredible.

The lack of SDCard doesn't put me off as I have Three One Plan, with all my music on Google Music and the lack of storage wasn't an issue on my Galaxy Nexus.

However, Tegra3 is just the biggest pile of **** SoC on the market and it's the sole reason why I sold my Transformer Prime this week. It's not power efficient which in itself is a massive fail for a mobile device and whilst there's a few game developers who actively develop THD games, the "made for Tegra" program actually brings more harm to gaming on Android than good.

The amount of games that I tried to play on my Transformer Prime that were so laggy because they were not made for Tegra, was a joke. Gameloft would always release games that played poorly on Tegra, only to release updates "fixing" the frame rate issues which actually turned out to be them disabling visual effects for Tegra devices...

How do the screens compare in your opinion?

I'm very impressed by the screen, text is definitely rendered better due to the higher PPI and it's about the same for saturation as the Galaxy Nexus, which is why some people are probably saying it's washed out. I remember the Galaxy Nexus didn't over saturate colours vs the AMOLED screen on the SII.

Viewing angles are probably what let it down if I had to pick a "fault" but when you're talking about mobile devices, I'm not sure viewing angles are that important. I only noticed because I was texting whilst in bed and rather than holding the phone, I had it lay next to me whilst gesture typing with my index finger.

u need to update ya sig :D

Yeah, especially as the Transformer Prime is going to a new owner once the eBay winner pays up.

The sound through the audio jack is incredible versus the Galaxy Nexus and I'm no audio expert, so for me to say that means there's a massive difference.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure whether to take screenshots of the whole list on better battery stats so I'll do that tomorrow if I was supposed to :p

I'm pretty happy with the battery life, lasts me all day tbh.

4R1NK.png

kknuD.png

bntv7.png

W58xt.png

FVghu.png

upBId.png

5no7D.png

Yup, not good enough, entire list of everything is required!

Nah, that is all you need to post :p

Although you forgot the history graph, which shows GPS, wifi etc.! :p

Immediate thing that stands out is:

- msm_hsic_host

Had a quick google and came up with this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1999368

- surfaceflinger is also using a fair amount more than what it should be, although it could just be related to GTA........ would need to see that section again but without any GTA, just general usage like browsing, text, video.

- I think power manager service is using more than it should as well, just checked on my S and it has only been active for 4 m 53s/ 0.6%

The phone looks like it is going to deep sleep just fine and when the CPU is being used it isn't at the max clock speed all the time, the usage in the CPU clock speeds is pretty similar to my one S.

Was that with auto brightness this time or zero brightness?

@Mekrel

How does the audio compare to the GS 3? (mainly the loudspeaker? :p)

The perfomance of the Nexus is shocking compared to the PadFone 2.

This isn't me saying it from a biased point... it is based on Quadrant scores.

Nexus 4 - 4,850 points just above the One X

PadFone 2 - 7,688 points!

GeekBench 2 scores

Nexus 4 - 2025

PadFone 2 - 2200

Now these numbers may not mean much to you guys but they are obvious to me with the performance. You may not feel lag but compared to the PadFone 2 it is there.

And there is absolutely no reason for this - they have the same processor and same amount of RAM.

Don't get me wrong the Nexus 4 is amazing and worth more than £240 - it feels much nicer than the PadFone 2 and looks much nicer but it just seems like something is wrong with it.

... they are obvious to me with the performance ...

:rolleyes:

Numbers on a benchmark do not correlate to real world benchmarks I'm afraid.

And on an unrelated note...

I love how people like to say something along the lines of "yes I know it only costs £280 but...".

There is no but. It is a fantastic price, berating the phone for performance is absolutely mental (or battery power, or screen quality, or etc., the list goes ). What are you expecting? The worlds best phone for nearly half the price of a usual flagship?

:confused:

Mental.

I can understand disappointment but expecting this phone to be absolutely amazeballs and smoke the competition is a ridiculous attitude to have.

Last edited:
The perfomance of the Nexus is shocking compared to the PadFone 2.

This isn't me saying it from a biased point... it is based on Quadrant scores.

Nexus 4 - 4,850 points just above the One X

PadFone 2 - 7,688 points!

GeekBench 2 scores

Nexus 4 - 2025

PadFone 2 - 2200
Now these numbers may not mean much to you guys but they are obvious to me with the performance. You may not feel lag but compared to the PadFone 2 it is there.

And there is absolutely no reason for this - they have the same processor and same amount of RAM.

Don't get me wrong the Nexus 4 is amazing and worth more than £240 - it feels much nicer than the PadFone 2 and looks much nicer but it just seems like something is wrong with it.

Yup, software optimisation and throttling is what is wrong with performance in benchmarks :p Software optimisation with the hardware is extremely important as we have seen with the galaxy nexus on JB and the one X going from ICS to JB, software can make a vast difference to how the phone performs not just in real world usage but also benchmarks.

The one X has had a huge jump in performance with JB and even beats the GS 3 on JB and in some areas the optimus G (real world performance has also improved vastly), which have the far better CPU/GPU:

http://www.gsmarena.com/jelly_bean_update_for_htc_one_x_boosts_performance-news-5010.php

Although not quite sure what you mean by the performance for real world usage as every site and user so far has stated that the phone runs really fast and smooth with no lag whatsoever.

Nexus - Are you going to buy one to save me getting one and finding I hate it ;)

Nope, you're on your own :p

Probably won't get one as:

- camera overall isn't as good as the S
- audio doesn't seem to be as good, more so the loudspeaker
- prefer the design and build of the S (haven't tried the N4 yet, but can't see the glass back and feel of it winning me over from the MAO aluminium uni-body :p)
- prefer sense
- for now the battery doesn't look to be as good either (plus I will be getting the X+ battery (2100mAh) for the S sometime soon....)

Essentially only reasons for me wanting to move to the N4 are:

- bigger screen
- get updates faster and be guaranteed to get them
- better NLED

And I doubt there will be a huge performance difference between the two if any, more so when the S gets JB.
So yeah, a bit of a pointless move for me :p

That was on auto brightness.

I realised I forgot the history graph after I plugged it in :o

Not bad that time round then! :cool:

You should be able to still see the current stats if the USB cable hasn't been removed since being plugged in.

wifi or/and data connection?

Last edited:
Every phone has lag - it is just a matter of how much, You may only see it in the browser with 10 tabs open but it exists... and it is much more obvious on the Nexus 4 than the PadFone 2.

The Nexus is amazing please don't get my wrong I just have the misfortune of having a device that no one has reviewed and that performs better than it.

SCREEN PROTECTORS!

So I have been trying to sort out some protection that looks good for both the front and back of the N4 and tonight I figured it out.

Get a GS3 front protector and a One X front protector.

The GS3 protector goes on the front of the N4 and covers most of the front of the device and all of the display. It does have some gaps but the areas not covered aren't vital so scratches wouldn't be an issue really.

If you get a SGP Galaxy S3 Crystal protector then you can barely see it is there with the exception of some lift on the top and corners as the N4 is curved on the sides and top.

The One X protector is for the back. Just cut one side down about 2mm to make it slightly less wide and cut out the round corners as they are slightly more curved than the N4 is. The protector will cover the rear camera and LED torch but it looks great.

There might be some camera interference but I haven't had the chance to test it as its night!

If you get high quality SGP style protectors then the protector is so clear it won't cause any degradation in display quality of camera performance.

These are temporary fixes to lack of protectors of hight quality for the N4. SGP (Spigen) do have a front crystal protector for the N4 but it ships from the US.

If you guys haven't used or heard of Spigen/SGP then do a Google search and I also tend to buy their stuff from their UK eBay store over direct from their site as it is next day delivery but the N4 wasn't out on the UK store yet.

Every phone has lag - it is just a matter of how much, You may only see it in the browser with 10 tabs open but it exists... and it is much more obvious on the Nexus 4 than the PadFone 2.

The Nexus is amazing please don't get my wrong I just have the misfortune of having a device that no one has reviewed and that performs better than it.

SCREEN PROTECTORS!

So I have been trying to sort out some protection that looks good for both the front and back of the N4 and tonight I figured it out.

Get a GS3 front protector and a One X front protector.

The GS3 protector goes on the front of the N4 and covers most of the front of the device and all of the display. It does have some gaps but the areas not covered aren't vital so scratches wouldn't be an issue really.

If you get a SGP Galaxy S3 Crystal protector then you can barely see it is there with the exception of some lift on the top and corners as the N4 is curved on the sides and top.

The One X protector is for the back. Just cut one side down about 2mm to make it slightly less wide and cut out the round corners as they are slightly more curved than the N4 is. The protector will cover the rear camera and LED torch but it looks great.

There might be some camera interference but I haven't had the chance to test it as its night!

If you get high quality SGP style protectors then the protector is so clear it won't cause any degradation in display quality of camera performance.

These are temporary fixes to lack of protectors of hight quality for the N4. SGP (Spigen) do have a front crystal protector for the N4 but it ships from the US.

If you guys haven't used or heard of Spigen/SGP then do a Google search and I also tend to buy their stuff from their UK eBay store over direct from their site as it is next day delivery but the N4 wasn't out on the UK store yet.

There are screen protectors and cases out to buy in the UK for the N4, why would you do any of that? Not only that, the phone came with a perfectly good front and back protector anyway, or at least mine did.

I went to the O2 last night to watch a film and stopped by the O2 store to ask about N4 stock availability. They essentially laughed in my face but not for the reason you suspect - they apparently have plenty in stock! So if there are Londoners who want to pay O2 prices then the dome is the place to go.

I didn't get one btw!

I really want an M4, REALLY want one :p

The problem is I don't want to spend more than £289, nor do I want to buy a 16GB model only to find tomorrow the 32GB is released :rolleyes:

But I want one NOW :D

i dunno i was able to get my s2 to nearly 5hrs with stock bat.. this should be 4-4.5 on average when i get it ;D

Most I've been able to get with the N4 so far is around 2-3 hours screen on time, Nothing compared to my S2 with the extended battery.

Backup sync off, Facebook sync off, Google account syncing just music, contacts & gmail. Another account syncing gmail. Google Now most of it disabled apart from Weather & Sport (just like it was on my S2)

Screen brightness always on auto.

Not bad that time round then! :cool:

You should be able to still see the current stats if the USB cable hasn't been removed since being plugged in.

wifi or/and data connection?

About 10 minutes on data then the rest on WiFi.

here is the history graph

http://imgur.com/W8S5h

Once again...how people manage to get 5h screen time...
I got up, and after few minutes I'm down to 98% while using the phone...

Do you have everything possible off?? All sync, push emails etc???

Or do I always get a copy with carp battery...

I've got push emails on and for sync I have Calendar, Gmail, Google Music and Google+

Back
Top Bottom