***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

Everyone rushing to get rid of their sgs2's. Have you actually tried a non-Samsung firmware? After all, cm10 is pretty much vanilla android which is what you'll see on the N4.

Or is it a case of just wanting something new?

On the subject of non-Samsung stuff. Can s-voice and s-memo be installed on vanilla Android?

I use CM10 nightlies and actually like you I am extremely happy with my SII it is still an exceptional phone and it required something special to convince me to part ways with it. The combination of all the new tech is extremely appealing though, plus there's some value of being on a Nexus device and always getting the new Android features first.

I'm pretty fussy about looks, the SIII is ugly as sin to me for example, however I really like the look of the N4.

One last thing to consider is resale value, I imagine the recycle value of the SII will fall off a cliff after the N4 release so it could be the last time you can get over £100 for the device.

It just feels like upgrade time! :)

edit: oh and... THAT PRICE! :o

I am definitely gonna sell my s3 and get this phone. Question is, will my s3 recycle value drop in next couple weeks or can i hang on to it until this phone is released?

I am definitely gonna sell my s3 and get this phone. Question is, will my s3 recycle value drop in next couple weeks or can i hang on to it until this phone is released?

crystal ball says the S3 price won't fall off a cliff as it's a very popular handset and it will take a while before the mass population cotton on to the N4.

Everyone rushing to get rid of their sgs2's. Have you actually tried a non-Samsung firmware? After all, cm10 is pretty much vanilla android which is what you'll see on the N4.

On the subject of non-Samsung stuff. Can s-voice and s-memo be installed on vanilla Android?

I dont know anyone that actually uses any of the samsung features, everr one i know just sticks go launcher on as a default and goes from there.
svoice and smemo? what are they.:cool:

Yep I'm currently running Paranoid Android on my SGS2 & I'm quite frankly sick of waiting ages for CM to become completely stable, I want a phone that is more open source, Plus a lot of devs on the SGS2 are getting annoyed with how closed the hardware is.

I want a phone that runs stock Android & Paranoid Android (if it makes its way to the N4) That'll have no issues whatsoever :)

crystal ball says the S3 price won't fall off a cliff as it's a very popular handset and it will take a while before the mass population cotton on to the N4.

Yeah but was going to recycle not auction so it's what phone companies know not the general public. Could likely get more if I sold privately but don't want the risk

Yeah but was going to recycle not auction so it's what phone companies know not the general public. Could likely get more if I sold privately but don't want the risk

recycle sites value phones on how popular they are - so that was my point.

Well see what happens, mazuma and envirofone are £245 at the moment, lets see how it unfolds.

My guess is it will still be £220+ when the N4 hits the market.

discovered this forum when googling for info on Nexus 4 and found it useful.

I am taking a big upgrade step when this launches..from Wildfire (not even S) to this.

Had worked out the best deal appeared to be S2 for £26 per month, but this with sim only deal looks cheaper and better!

Because the Wildfire is crap I don't have many apps on it - just calander, astrid, sky news etc.

I only have 80mb of internal memory free, and 8gb of 16 gb card free. Most of that is music (not sure at what quality) but is 600 songs.

I am hoping - as money is tight - that the 8gb will do the job.

On more modern phones what are people filling memory with? Will the better apps available to me eat the 8GB?

Also, I use the FM radio a lot - can't see one mentioned for Nexus 4

On more modern phones what are people filling memory with? Will the better apps available to me eat the 8GB?

They will do if you start downloading games some of them can be pretty big, and I don't think there's a built in FM radio but you could always use something like TuneIn radio which streams over the net.

Was gonna upgrade on my contract, but i'm looking at reducing my bills, so seriously tempted to recycle my S2 and my old HD2 and go sim free to get a cheap contract. Anyone found better than £155 for the S2 on the recycling sites?

Snip

That'll be a MASSIVE upgrade from a Wildfire! :) but I don't think Nexus devices have FM radios. :(

I'm 90% confident the N4 will be pukka :D.

Hope they haven't used low quality flash storage like Asus.

Yeah, hopefully they haven't done much cost cutting on the 8GB model :D

The only concerns are...

Outdoor screen performance:
It looks similar to something like a HTC One V. Not shockingly bad like a Desire but not class leading like a SGS3, iPhone 5, Lumia 920 (or HOS... :p)
The polariser type also effects viewing angles more than the others, actually I bet they use/license the same optical layer system as Sony! Which isn't a bad thing, you just don't get that 'floating' display feel.

Average 8MP camera:
Cost cut 1.1 micron sensor/lens combo that's not as good as SGS3/One S.

Storage:
Low quality eMMC again?

Materials.
Plastic chassis with glass back, yuck! Hopefully they'll be lots mods on ebay due to its popularity (carbon fibre back etc)

While it won't have a radio, if you grab an unlimited data plan you can use an app like TuneInRadio to listen to the radio over your data connection.

If you can't foresee yourself getting more interested in Android games, or using the device more for photo storage or music storage 8GB will probably be fine.

I think the networks are getting the phone from Google at a not-too-dissimilar price from what us average punters can pick them up at (£240/£280). I think the cheap pricing from Google is simply them selling the phone with very low profit, whereas the networks see the phone no differently than any other new release.

Either that or they're banking on Average Joe not realising they can be had cheap and thus save money within 12 months on a sim-only deal.

Alert.. Have people forgotten this is made by LG. I'd advise caution.

What is wrong with it being made by LG?

The optimus G has received very positive reviews so far.

They make great hardware/products, it is just their support that is awful, however, being a nexus phone, this isn't a problem at all since google deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom