***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Alright chaps.

Any "Starter Kits" out there to get going with DE shaving?

http://www.shaving-shack.com/the-drake-safety-razor-starter-kit.html

Looks alright?

That looks good, not sure on the razor or blades as I've never used either, the shaving cream seems rated highly and the alum block is the same one I use.

As for the brush I've only ever used 2 brushes myself (A Kent BK2 I think it is and a TOBS Best Badger brush).

Can't hurt too much to give it a whirl as it's a very good price.

Soldato
Currently using those blades. They work well for me and would use them again. Use the Alum bloc too.

Seems to be a decent starter set. Pre shave cream is optional but worth adding IMO.

Soldato
Nothing compares to feathers. Derbys feel blunt as hell in comparison. Especially when chopping off thicker beard growth. Literally like a hot knife through butter.

Soldato
I started with Derbys, now using Astra Platinum and got a huge batch for christmas last year. Kinda want to try feathers soon.

Do they help you get a closer shave, or just easier to cut through long growth? Because I wouldn't say I have any trouble cutting through my beard (I actually always trim if it's quite long), but wouldn't say no to getting a shade closer.

Soldato
Feathers literally slice through any beard length in one pass. In my personal experience. A weeks growth gets whipped off so easily and effortless. They don't take any prisoners regarding spots either. So be ready with a styptic pencil haha.

Associate
Tried my Cornerstone razor for the first time this morning.

£4 for a personalised (engraved initials) handle and 6 blades. Each head has 5 blades. They're spaced really close together which is why I moved away from Gilette all those years ago - that and the cost of the blades. I didn't have any issue with hair clogging the gaps, well nothing a swirl in water didn't clear. I only had light stubble this morning but I think it may struggle with heavy stubble.

A nice close shave, not far off the closeness of my DE razor with Feathers. Took a while to get used to how to hold the handle. Not too many passes required. And no blood! I would cut myself regularly with my razor.

Am I converted? Too early to tell really. I'll see how I get on. I may continue using my DE for a shave with heavy stubble and use the Cornerstone for when I've not. Worth £4 for a handle and 6 blades? I'd say so.

Cheers,

S..

Commissario
Cheap for a handle and blades, FBi7 but it'd be interesting to see how much they charge for replacement cartridges. I really don't like the idea of cartridge heads with multiple blades whatsoever though.

Anyway, I've just had to buy a new tube of ToBS Shaving Shop aftershave gel. To give an idea how long this stuff lasts, I bought this one in July 2014. I alternate it along with Trumpers lime Skin Food and the bottle of that which I bought in January 2013 is just over half gone. That shows just how little is needed and how far these aftershave gels go. The ToBS gel is a 75ml tube and the Skin Food is a 100ml bottle.

Commissario
Anyone knew where to get Personna Med Prep blades (or something equivalent) only place I can find is £30 for a 100, which is quite expensive compared to other blades.

Here:-

http://connaughtshaving.com/perssu.html

They're £26.40 for 100 but with delivery pushes them to £30

Yeah looks like the only place that sell them. I've been using them for a year now with no issues. I'll just bite the bullet.
Still my regular daily blade. I bought 100 of these back in January 2013 and have got three or four of them left in the box. I also bought an extra 200 over the next couple of months whenever I placed an order with Connaught so I've got plenty of spares.

med_prep-20161020-172548.jpg

I consider thirty quid for well over three years of blades to be outstanding value for money. Those three boxes worked out at around ninety quid but that's over ten years worth of blades.

Associate
it'd be interesting to see how much they charge for replacement cartridges.

Just checked. £14 for 6. I did used to (need to) shave daily, so that one of the reasons I switched to DE was because of the cost, but now only shave once or twice a week. I'll have to really get on with it to pay that for new blades I think.

Associate
That is very nice :)

Got myself a Merkur Futur last week:

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/product.cfm/product_ID/5500/category_ID/277

Along with some Feather blades.

Thought I would try setting 6 to start with (the sharpest one) to see how close it shaves. After the blood stopped pouring, I decided it was a little too close :)

However, I was still amazed how close the shave was on setting 1.

One pass with the Futur was closer than 2 with my old Muhle R106.

Very nicely made and heavy razor as well.

Soldato
Gave up with the Cornerstone razor, blades too close together so it clogs really easily and also gives me irritation.

Gave it to my nephew who still only has bum-bluff so it should be good for him, also he is going to sign up with my code to get £19 to my account so he can end up with 3 packs of blades for £12 which is really cheap.

Back to my trusted DE with the feather blades and if I'm in a rush it will have to be the Wilkinson Sword Hydro.

Back
Top Bottom