***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
My MWF tablet fits in an old TOBS tub if that helps, they're plastic as well which means they have a bit more about them than ceramic.

I have Tabac soap in a glass type bowl and I do worry as it kerrchings on the sink when I put it down.

Soldato
In light of this, I have a noob question to ask. Do you guys have a bowl for lather and a tub for the soap? If I bought say "Muhle Traditional Shaving Mug in Black Porcelain" and the soap did fit in the bottom, would the soap stay in there at all times or would I need / be best to remove the soap and have it in a tub with a lid after each shave?

I've got one of those bowls and some MWF, I'll see if it fits for you.

Thank you!

My MWF tablet fits in an old TOBS tub if that helps, they're plastic as well which means they have a bit more about them than ceramic.

I have Tabac soap in a glass type bowl and I do worry as it kerrchings on the sink when I put it down.

Unless you can buy the tub on it's own, I'd have two soaps and one without a case :p

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good clear shaving gel for straight razor? I use mine mainly to tide up my beard lines so being able to see would help! Thanks.

Associate
In light of this, I have a noob question to ask. Do you guys have a bowl for lather and a tub for the soap? If I bought say "Muhle Traditional Shaving Mug in Black Porcelain" and the soap did fit in the bottom, would the soap stay in there at all times or would I need / be best to remove the soap and have it in a tub with a lid after each shave?

I personally face lather. I find it gives a better prep to the stubble. I love the look of shaving mugs but I've broken everything made of ceramic shaving wise. Including a MWF lid. I used a metal bowl (was a pet food bowl I got for less than a quid) when I first started.

I've got a bit lazy and 90% of the time use creams rather than soaps. I just stick a bit blob in the middle of the wet brush and build the lather on my face. That easy makes enough for 3 passes. Using Proraso mostly at the minute.

Caporegime
Need advise please. I use Mitchell Wool Fat Shaving Soap, but the ceramic bowl was accidently broke. I'm housing it in an not ideal alternative, so looking for what I can do.

Does something like this http://www.shaving-shack.com/muhle-traditional-shaving-mug-in-black_porcelain.html also hold the bar of soap in the mug? I normally lathered on top of the soap, while inside the ceramic bowl.

Same thing happened to me.

They fit in most bowls, I've used the cream ones before - Taylor of old bond street. Fits in there perfectly too if you have one about to run out.

But I just bought one of these whilst ordering blades, fits perfectly.

http://connaughtshaving.com/mhwb.html

Soldato
It doesn't fit.

Thanks for checking anyway.

I personally face lather. I find it gives a better prep to the stubble. I love the look of shaving mugs but I've broken everything made of ceramic shaving wise. Including a MWF lid. I used a metal bowl (was a pet food bowl I got for less than a quid) when I first started.

I've got a bit lazy and 90% of the time use creams rather than soaps. I just stick a bit blob in the middle of the wet brush and build the lather on my face. That easy makes enough for 3 passes. Using Proraso mostly at the minute.

I've tried face lathering before but I didn't feel like it did a well enough job when compared to how it can be made in a bowl.

Same thing happened to me.

They fit in most bowls, I've used the cream ones before - Taylor of old bond street. Fits in there perfectly too if you have one about to run out.

But I just bought one of these whilst ordering blades, fits perfectly.

http://connaughtshaving.com/mhwb.html

Thanks, I'll look into that! Much cheaper than buying the big bowl / mug too. :)

Soldato
Thanks, I'll look into that! Much cheaper than buying the big bowl / mug too. :)

Why not just use a plastic lidded tub from the kitchen, I used to use Palmolive sticks (same kind of consistency as the MWF tablet) and you could either break it up or use the cheese grater to fit it in.

Once you've used a wet brush on it the soap tends to 'mould' back together.

Associate
A few reviews talk about the screw shearing off the Edwin Jagger DE89 which puts me off a bit, otherwise it would be top of the list.

I've been using one for a couple years and it is fine. Not sure how much of a comfort that is if more than 1 review talks about a fault / weakness there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had my 34c heavy duty for about 10 years now. Think I've cleaned it once. And it's still going like it's brand new. Couldn't personally recommend anything else, as that razor is top for me.

Soldato
Stuffs arrived!
Merkur 34C
Proraso red
Astra blades
Alum block
Styptic pencil
Both a badger and a boar brush, to see which I prefer.
And some Nivea shave balm. Think I'm good to go once I summon up the courage. It will be a total change for me after having a beard for several years. I decided to lop it off last week, and using an electric razor was bloody horrible.

Associate
Take your time with it & enjoy the experience, don't try & do it all in one go, think of it more like reducing the stubble with each pass & let the razor do the work.

Back
Top Bottom