***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Sorry, the closeness wasnt anywhere near as good as I had hoped for but good to hear that it might take 4 or 5 attempts to get the hang of it!

Don't want to bang on, but give my suggestion from post #1497 a go if you want to get closer. I never got that close with a DE, it's not what they're made for imo

Soldato
Thanks for the tip, I'll stick with the DE for now and see if I can improve my technique as when I say it wasnt a close shave Im talking about still being able to visibly see stubble in the majority of places! I think I was a little over cautious as to be honest they do actually seem quite safe! Perhaps I was expecting it to not be much safer than a straight razor! I'll report back!

Soldato
OP
For me, mach3/fusions defeat the object of DE, as they cause me irritation and ingrown hairs.

I'd say work on technique first, it should come good and you'll have spanking baby soft shaves in no time.

Associate
Staring to get into the routine of shaving before bed. I have more time in the evening and I just generally feel more relaxed. Just a quick half hour to enjoy a hot shower. Listen to a decent play list, ensure I've applied a hot flannel to my face for a few minutes.

Currently going through ToBS Sandalwood shaving cream after having the coconut one gifted to me. Absolutely loving it, get a really good lather from it! Also picked up a batch of Astra blades cheaply recently which are doing a good job. Swapping the blades over every 2 days.

I only make two passes, wtg and xtg. I've had no luck atg as it just causes me so much irritation!

By the end of my working day my bosses are giving me funny looks because of the stubble coming through. Though i don't let on that i shave in the evening to them. I prefer my evening routine!

Soldato
For me, mach3/fusions defeat the object of DE, as they cause me irritation and ingrown hairs.

This.

Been DE shaving for about 3 years now and although I haven't noticed (because I'm manly man), my missus says my skin looks much better.

I used a mach3 a while back to compare (as I still had a couple of cartridges) and although it gave me a closer shave, the price and wear on the blades is awful. It also struggled to cut through a few days growth where as a single DE blade has no problem at all (and stays sharper).

Soldato
OP
Right, my new merkur 34c has arrived. My old one is still usable, albeit it doesn't unscrew properly so the head is hard to pull out. Does anyone want it free, just pay me postage? Maybe someone who wants to try DE out? Like I said, it works, it's just a little iffy taking apart... And I just know one day clumsy me would slip and slice my hand open.

I've somehow managed to bugger the thread on my 34c. It was so good I've straight away ordered a replacement. I was tempted to try something else but figured stick to what I know I like.

Soldato
This.

Been DE shaving for about 3 years now and although I haven't noticed (because I'm manly man), my missus says my skin looks much better.

I used a mach3 a while back to compare (as I still had a couple of cartridges) and although it gave me a closer shave, the price and wear on the blades is awful. It also struggled to cut through a few days growth where as a single DE blade has no problem at all (and stays sharper).

Missing my original point, I completely agree that for cartridge blades, the price and wear on blades and ability to cut for a first pass is dire. Point is, for a second pass ATG, they are better in every way (imo) compared to a DE.

Soldato
Right, my new merkur 34c has arrived. My old one is still usable, albeit it doesn't unscrew properly so the head is hard to pull out. Does anyone want it free, just pay me postage? Maybe someone who wants to try DE out? Like I said, it works, it's just a little iffy taking apart... And I just know one day clumsy me would slip and slice my hand open.

Msg in trust.

Soldato
Started using a straight razor since September, it's amazing the amount of dead skin that comes off each time (maybe that's just me!). Starting to run out of blades though that came with the purchase, what's recommended?

Caporegime
Not sure about those saying they're getting a closer shave from a gillette. I can get closer on the second (and final) pass across the grain by a) stretching the skin properly as I go b) shaving during or after a hot shower and c) using a new (feather) blade every other shave.

I can also now shave just as quickly as with the gillette. Incidentally as to the face lather vs. bowl lather question, my thinking is that every second the soap's not in contact with your beard is a second of prep wasted.

Soldato
So I took the plunge and bought a Edwin Jagger DE89L with a blade selection pack. Tried it last night with a Feather blade and have to say Im a little dissapointed at the shave. I was being VERY cautious so Im not writing it off just yet any tips or advice appreciated.

I used a hot flannel (3 times) to soften the hair, Proraso pre shave cream follwed by Taylor of Old Bond Street cream applied with a badger brush. 3 passes, WTG, ATG, XTG Cold rinse and then ToOBS balm.

Im sure its just my technique and the fact I was very careful with it being the first time Id ever used one.

Well heres am update after the above post...

Still no joy getting a close shave for over a week now, I had tried different blades and exactly the same so I was at the point of giving up until my last chance saloon attempt tonight where I realised I had been putting the razor together the wrong way around as the base plate part was upside down!

Wow, what an amazing close shave Ive just had though and I only did 2 passes! Sadly my technique needs a bit of work as Ive cut myself in a few places but I am so impressed for my first "real" attempt!

Soldato
Yeah. You cannot put the 34c together "wrong"

Tried going against the grain yesterday on my second pass. Brand new feather, and it was still tugging. Got a few nicks and it was quite raw. Think I'll give that a miss from now on.

Soldato
I always do the same 3 pass routine, downwards for first pass then I go from ear to nose on both sides, I finish by going upwards. I have been shaving that way for a few years now and I'm always fine, sometimes I just do 2 passes if I'm shaving frequently. If I have a bit of growth I like to make sure my beard gets a good soak, I often shower right before a shave as I find it helps get through the hedge easier.
Before I used a DE I always got shaving rashes, my 34c is the best thing I have ever bought. I did try a futur for a while but even on its lowest setting it was too rough for my skin.

Soldato
OP
Well heres am update after the above post...

Still no joy getting a close shave for over a week now, I had tried different blades and exactly the same so I was at the point of giving up until my last chance saloon attempt tonight where I realised I had been putting the razor together the wrong way around as the base plate part was upside down!

Wow, what an amazing close shave Ive just had though and I only did 2 passes! Sadly my technique needs a bit of work as Ive cut myself in a few places but I am so impressed for my first "real" attempt!
Ha that's quite hilarious but also great that you found the culprit to your unsatisfactory shaves.

Good to hear about so many other people also getting great results from DE.

Soldato
Started using a straight razor since September, it's amazing the amount of dead skin that comes off each time (maybe that's just me!). Starting to run out of blades though that came with the purchase, what's recommended?

Are the Astra superior platinum good blades to purchase?

I originally purchased Sanguine Two Packs of Wilkinson for Xperia JP1 Razor, coolcut4, wood r5 with my razor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Astra used to be my blade of choice, I might have a few packs left. Fire me an email with your address on it & I'll send a pack of 5 in the next few days....if I have any left lol. I think I have some supermax super platinum left too I can send, if you don't want them it's ok, I'm not easily offended.

I wouldn't know what they are like in a shavette in all honesty but they are a decent enough blade, nice and smooth shave and pretty sharp too.

I have since moved on to Sputniks but will soon be ordering some med prep or lab blue blades, If I ever get around to it.

Back
Top Bottom